GDT: Ducks at Canes...

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Just keep going down this path, no matter how ridiculous it is. You're like the Bill Peters of our board. Just keep going with what doesn't work.

But without that sweet Kinetico money.

Keep on keeping on with what doesn't work is a great strategy that I full support and was clearly what I am saying /s.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
RE forwards....I would bet Vegas was willing to deal some scoring for a 2022 2nd rounder before they started the season on fire and well within the playoff hunt

Stepan was available.

If we paid the price to have Stepan between Skinner Williams that would have been awesome.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
RE Peters....

I think he neuters creativity to play his system too much. Probably tells the guys to not even lay a hit for fear of taking a penalty.

I wouldn't mind moving on from him so long as Smith stayed around to run the defense....he's done an amazing job.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
RE forwards....I would bet Vegas was willing to deal some scoring for a 2022 2nd rounder before they started the season on fire and well within the playoff hunt

Stepan was available.

If we paid the price to have Stepan between Skinner Williams that would have been awesome.
Who's to say Stepan was available to a divisional rival? Or at the same cost?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina didn't have as expendable asset the quality of the 7th overall pick, even if the Rangers had been willing to trade him within the division and the cost had been the same.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
RE Peters....

I think he neuters creativity to play his system too much. Probably tells the guys to not even lay a hit for fear of taking a penalty.

I wouldn't mind moving on from him so long as Smith stayed around to run the defense....he's done an amazing job.

Interesting point here, in that the Canes just played arguably their two least effective games of the season the past three days and didn't take a single penalty in either of them.

And as for there being no trades available to get an elite offensive guy. On top of being patently ridiculous on its face, there are also trades to be made on draft day in terms of trading up instead of waiting around at No. 5 or No. 7 to take the best d-man in the draft. There are ways to get elite forward talent. Lots of teams have elite forwards. We just aren't one of them because we're not willing to do what it takes.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
My Kucherov offer sheet I was dreaming about would be looking really good right about now. The Lightning weren't even willing to give him a big long term deal of above $8 mill two off seasons ago. Instead he got a 3 year $4.5M per deal. If the sheet got matched at least it'd of caused some cap problems for them.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
the real question here is - did you score? *wink wink*

I mean, I'm here, posting on a message board....what do you think

giphy.gif

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
The harsh reality of the situation is that the Canes were never bad enough during the retool/rebuild to get that elite offensive talent in the draft. I’m not sure that’s a situation that GMRF can trade his way out of.

The Canes are going to have to try to win with depth and that’s still a work in progress. McGinn can’t be a Top 9 winger on this team if it wants to be on the right side of the bubble. The same goes for Ryan, if the other two centers are Staal and Rask. Unfortunately, Stempniak is out with his injury right now. There really wasn’t a center upgrade available this offseason at a price the Canes could afford to pay.

And no, I don’t think the team could or can afford to trade Hanifin for Duchene. Fleury and Dahlbeck as the 2nd and 3rd pairing LD is a recipe for disaster.

Hanifin has been beyond brutal. So no. Dahlbeck nor Fleury is a step down. Rather I'd argue a significant step up

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Should have tanked for McDavid or Eichel in 2015. This squad had absolutely nothing to gain winning those useless late season games. But of course knowing our luck we would have just ended up picking 5th anyway.

The last two seasons they were already too ahead of the curve anyway.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Actually, that period is *exactly* why they lost. They were tied after regulation, then dominated overtime but couldn't beat a goalie whose best years are well behind him. Failure to convert on at least a half-dozen golden opportunities is *exactly* why they lost. And it's why they lose a lot of games. Failing to convert opportunities.
And you think Brock f***ing McGinn and his 11 goals in 86 games is just the "finish" they need to make a difference on the 3v3?

And you can play that logic with literally any other aspect of the game. Goaltending, even strength scoring, regulation, power play. The difference is, the Hurricanes played to put the percentages in the favor of a win, but did not (it happens); on the flipside Darling played to put the percentages in the favor of a loss , and which did happen.

It's asinine to blame the forwards for failing to score while dominating an exhausted Ducks team in the extra period while ignoring the replacement level goaltending they got tonight from their starter. If this is going to be the norm not even Brock McGinn on 3v3 can save them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad