Post-Game Talk: Ducks 5 Oilers 3

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hendricks with McDavid and Eberle
Pouliot with Lander and Yakupov

At least at practice. Kassian and Gryba are absent.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Holy crap. The ref told McLellan that we pushed Perron in.

Joke league.

I love that he's fired up about the team though, it's nice to see the coach cares, unlike some of the players. Hope we gut this team in the off season, and TDL.

Remember when RNH's goal against the kings got called back, because Gagner interfered with Quick even though he was clearly pushed in by the opposing kings player? Yet, the same "push" logic from the refs doesn't apply to Perron's BS goal. Typical as ****.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Also Gernat who was sent down from Bakersfield to Norfolk got recalled back to Bakersfield. I expect a d getting the call up

Originally Posted By*

Taylor hall played a terrific game yesterday. I don't care if he gave the puck away to cogs last min of the third, mistakes happen. He was buzzing last night and i love it

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
This is the worst season yet. With all the excitement of getting the best generational player since Crosby-a new proven coach and the expectation that the core guys will improve incrementally with age and a pretty decent goalie in Talbot we are stuck in the basement again. Some improvement in overall play can be seen -we aren't getting blown out as much and for the most part the goalie is keeping us in games imho, but many of the key players are not willing or able to buy into or perform in any sort of rational winning system and no answer on defense I don't see a bright future. The pieces are not there. One step forward and two steps back again.

Originally Posted By*

1 year of mcdavid gone to waste lol.

He is on the best contract in the league, this core better get it together and quick.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is the worst season yet. With all the excitement of getting the best generational player since Crosby-a new proven coach and the expectation that the core guys will improve incrementally with age and a pretty decent goalie in Talbot we are stuck in the basement again. Some improvement in overall play can be seen -we aren't getting blown out as much and for the most part the goalie is keeping us in games imho, but many of the key players are not willing or able to buy into or perform in any sort of rational winning system and no answer on defense I don't see a bright future. The pieces are not there. One step forward and two steps back again.
I would say one step forward and one step back with a bunch of mud in the way (injuries)

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This absolutely is not and has not been 'the worst season yet.' That was last year and the few of us that were still watching in December will remember that. Not that I blame anyone who stopped.

There is obviously still a ton of work to do but things are looking infinitely better now than they were a year ago.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This absolutely is not and has not been 'the worst season yet.' That was last year and the few of us that were still watching in December will remember that. Not that I blame anyone who stopped.

There is obviously still a ton of work to do but things are looking infinitely better now than they were a year ago.
Absolutely this. We are a better team then last year easily. However due to injuries to major players we are lower in the standings. If Klefbom didn't go out for as long as he has and McDavid didn't go down long term too it's very easy to imagine us being 24-25th in the league at minimum.

Yes all teams have injuries but losing your best forward for a very long stretch and losing your best d when your d is shallow murders you.

Imagine how bad Ottawa would be if they lost Karlsson for half the season.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Apparently the same thing happened the night before in CGY so who the hell knows anymore.

Gregor was complaining a few blogs ago about how the refs just aren't overturning a lot of goals. Be curious what the actual numbers are.

I've no doubt this is league mandated.

Goal scoring is down again this year. The league will do what it takes to alleviate those numbers. Imagine if there wasn't 3 on 3 this year to prop up the goal scoring numbers.

I also can't believe how stupid our players are with penalties. The slash the stick ones are pretty much the few things called consistently. A smart player would adapt to this.

Hook, hold, interfere, throw picks all you want.

Do NOT slash the other palyers sticks! Do not wrap your arms around the other player!

Problem is we chase the play so much we can't interfere.. we have to slash and reach.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
Taylor hall played a terrific game yesterday. I don't care if he gave the puck away to cogs last min of the third, mistakes happen. He was buzzing last night and i love it

Cant share your enthusiasm-scored one and gave up one on a terrible pass and was -1 on the night. Sums it up really. He has 10 points and 3 goals in his last 20 games and is -12. I am trying to get excited about something on this team but cant do it. Last again.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Absolutely this. We are a better team then last year easily. However due to injuries to major players we are lower in the standings. If Klefbom didn't go out for as long as he has and McDavid didn't go down long term too it's very easy to imagine us being 24-25th in the league at minimum.

Yes all teams have injuries but losing your best forward for a very long stretch and losing your best d when your d is shallow murders you.

Imagine how bad Ottawa would be if they lost Karlsson for half the season.

Karlsson is arguably the best defencemen in the game, and one of the best players in the NHL. Klefbom has barely played 100 games in his career, and is not a top defencemn in the NHL. Excuses are just that, and just gives the current players and management an out.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Karlsson is arguably the best defencemen in the game, and one of the best players in the NHL. Klefbom has barely played 100 games in his career, and is not a top defencemn in the NHL. Excuses are just that, and just gives the current players and management an out.

At putting up points he is. At playing actual defense, he is not.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

Klefbom is arguably the best defenceman on the team. He's been out for months.

Why the hell wouldn't that hurt the team's performance?

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer

I like Klefbom and think he will have a bright future but in no way is he a top 2 right now on any good team and the fact that his absence makes such a difference to us just shows how bad we really are.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer

What makes it disappointing to me is that there was more hope. We have had Macdavid for 20 games and have a losing record with him in the linuep-we have had better coaching and we are still last. The hopes being dashed makes things worse then ever to me. Point to injuries-point to this and that but our core is not able to win even when adding macdavid and an improved phenom in Draisatl-both of whom we didn't have last year and add a proven coach and we are last again. If every player wasn't injured would we really be that much better? Maybe. Hard to say. We have everyone but nuge and klef right now and we stink. Every team has a couple guys out. Kudos to you for staying positive. I hope we can all be rewarded next year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yes. I get Karlsson is much better. But outside of Karlsson (and now Phaneuf) they have a worse
d than we do. So if you take away the teams best defensemen on either side, ours is better. Just because they aren't equal players doesn't make the point not true.

McDeathbyCheerios*

What makes it disappointing to me is that there was more hope. We have had Macdavid for 20 games and have a losing record with him in the linuep-we have had better coaching and we are still last. The hopes being dashed makes things worse then ever to me. Point to injuries-point to this and that but our core is not able to win even when adding macdavid and an improved phenom in Draisatl-both of whom we didn't have last year and add a proven coach and we are last again. If every player wasn't injured would we really be that much better? Maybe. Hard to say. We have everyone but nuge and klef right now and we stink. Every team has a couple guys out. Kudos to you for staying positive. I hope we can all be rewarded next year.
We were playing great until Klefbom went down mid game and our defense fell apart from then on. We were trending up.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
We were playing great until Klefbom went down mid game and our defense fell apart from then on. We were trending up.

Hey-I hope you are right about klefbom. To me he is unproven but could be the powerplay guy and outlet passer and stabilizer that we need. He is pretty young though and tough to judge a guy in his first 100 games. Seems to me we need three Klefboms to be a serious contender for playoffs. If you only have one he gets pounded to a mush. Nurse might be that other of the three in the next two years and the cupboard is bare of possible top 3 defenders. Davidson will be a solid 4/5. Nothing else other then that and no one to teach them the ropes. The oil should get a full time defensemen coach in...or a top veteran player or both.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Klefbom is arguably the best defenceman on the team. He's been out for months.

Why the hell wouldn't that hurt the team's performance?

The point is that if we're gonna make a comparison to team X and how they'd do if their top D was out for months, it shouldn't be to Ottawa and Karlsson who is obviously top 3 D man in the league and is far and away Ottawa's best player (not just D), whereas Klef is not (McD, Hall, even Drai)

A better comparison would be "Gee, I wonder how Detroit would be doing without Kronwall for a couple months".

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Well.. it looks as though teams are just going to smother Mcdavid because just about everyone else on the team can't do squat. It's gonna make for some painful games to end the season.

I still think Mcdavid finishes at a ppg, but without another dangerous line, we're gonna see some pretty boring hockey.

This season has become the hardest to watch for me. There was so much positivity going into this season. Not even about winning.. but about the effort this team was going to put in with a new coach, and how they were going to learn real systems, and our PP was going to be amazing!

Instead we have a dreadful PP, nobody has any idea where to be any any point on the ice, and the effort from 99% of the players on any given night is pathetic. It shouldn't take playing with Mcdavid for you to try and play at the top of your game.

This team is so frustrating, because as other have said, they have no idea how to win. When your current skilled "veterans" are the old failed rebuild core, due to no veteran support, you're bound to fail... over and over again.

It's going to take major changes to fix things, it's not just the players, it's the atmosphere that has been, and will always be present, as long as they are the majority.

You need to load this team up with a ton of solid veteran leadership, and that doesn't mean signing 1 guy to a retirement contract that struggles to keep up with the game anymore. I'm talking at least 2 top 6 players, at least 2 top 4 Dmen, and at least 3 bottom 9 players.

Hall Drai *vet*/RNH
*Vet* Mcdavid *vet* (Ladd, Lucic, Erikson)
*vet* *vet* Kassian (Doan, Backes)
Hendricks Letestu Khaira/Pak

Sekera *Vet* (Harmonic)
Klefbom *Vet* (Campbell)
Nurse Davidson
Gryba

Talbot
LB

Obviously the names in brackets are sort of a best case, but they really don't even need to be that good, they just need to be willing to work hard, change the culture, and let Mcdavid, Hall, and Drai bank the puck in off them ocassionally.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Not sure what I think about this whole coach's challenge thing. It might be a good idea but it just totally kills the momentum of the games with such long breaks.

It seemed like a good idea, but in reality the coach's challenge stinks. Not only does it increase the already long wait times between the play, the refs don't have any consistency in what they call. I think they overestimated how effective their own referees would be. They wanted to "get the calls right," but the refs can't get the freakin' calls right. The coach's challenge is an abject failure for me.

Remember when RNH's goal against the kings got called back, because Gagner interfered with Quick even though he was clearly pushed in by the opposing kings player? Yet, the same "push" logic from the refs doesn't apply to Perron's BS goal. Typical as ****.

Yup. Consistency does not exist in the NHL. It's however the ref feels at the particular time in the game. It's like they don't even follow a rule book. They might as well flip a bloody coin out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad