Speculation: Ducks #5/6 dman...

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Any interest in Schlemko, David for late round draft pick?

signed - 2.1 million for 2 more years

SCOUTING REPORT
ASSETS:
Has decent size, reach and puck-moving skills. Is also fairly mobile and pretty solid in his own end. Limits his mistakes. Can log a lot of ice time, if need be, and can play on either side of the ice.
FLAWS:
Does not use the body a lot, which leaves him vulnerable against bigger forwards in the defensive zone. Does not wow you with any one physical or mental trait. Is a somewhat limited talent.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Schlemko is actually the first name that came to mind. I'm sure MTL would have no issue flipping him for a mid-round pick. From his body of work in NJ, he's a surprisingly solid defenseman that can hold his own in the top-4 on an as-needed basis.

That said... any interest in bringing back Ben Lovejoy?

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Optimally, we wouldn't go out looking for a 3rd pairing guy to acquire - Larsson, Pettersson and Welinski should be on our bottom pairing.

I would hope that whoever we bring in comes in under 2M.

Last edited:

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Michael Stone for a 3rd. Been solid for us in his third pairing role, but we have lots of young D fighting for spots.

I wouldn't mind Stone at all actually. Still young, decent cap hit of $3.5M and only 27. I would prefer to have us fill the 3rd pairing internally but if we were to go for an external solution I think Stone would be a great fit.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Uhm, unless I missed it, I never saw Bob say he is NOT bringing Bieksa back...that is probably his first go-to move.

Hopefully, if true, it's only a one-year deal at no more than 1.75M

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Uhm, unless I missed it, I never saw Bob say he is NOT bringing Bieksa back...that is probably his first go-to move.

Hopefully, if true, it's only a one-year deal at no more than 1.75M
I think Stephens reported that it looked like Bxa wouldn't be back. Bxa also had some remarks at the end of the season that he was disapointed in his ice time or lack there of in the playoffs. I am pretty confident that Bxa isn't coming back.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Optimally, we wouldn't go out looking for a 3rd pairing guy to acquire - Larsson, Pettersson and Welinski should be on our bottom pairing.

I would hope that whoever we bring in comes in under 2M.

This, and can't Larsson play both sides? And maybe Pettersson too? I thought Pettersson had some good games when he played with Lindholm. If that pair actually works, it gives Carlyle a lot of options (that he'll never use).

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
As a Ducks fan I have a hard time seeing BM giving both spots on the 3rd pair to rookies. Its not good for depth really. 1 injury to a veteran in the top 4 and you're looking at icing 4 out of 6 guys with 100 nhl games or less. 3 with under 50. IMO we need a veteran PKer. Im not sure I trust Montour there and im not confident that either 3rd pairing rookie should be put in that situation. Its possible they prove they can but generally I think GMs try to cover as much risk as possible. Not to mention adding 2 of welinski, Pettersson and Larsson doesnt leave much for SD. Imo I'd like a guy who can play next to Fowler if Montour struggles or if they want to balance the lines like they were when Vats was on the 3rd pairing. I still want Hjalmarsson.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
As a Ducks fan I have a hard time seeing BM giving both spots on the 3rd pair to rookies. Its not good for depth really. 1 injury to a veteran in the top 4 and you're looking at icing 4 out of 6 guys with 100 nhl games or less. 3 with under 50. IMO we need a veteran PKer. Im not sure I trust Montour there and im not confident that either 3rd pairing rookie should be put in that situation. Its possible they prove they can but generally I think GMs try to cover as much risk as possible. Not to mention adding 2 of welinski, Pettersson and Larsson doesnt leave much for SD. Imo I'd like a guy who can play next to Fowler if Montour struggles or if they want to balance the lines like they were when Vats was on the 3rd pairing. I still want Hjalmarsson.
Hjlarmarason would be amazing, as some have mentioned above , Stone wouldn’t be bad either. 100% he bring in at least 1 older dman. The gulls can keep developing Larsson and we can rotate welinski and petterson un and out to not wear them out for a full 82 game nhl season

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
You could try signing CDH...I don't think the Isles are going to re-sign him. His point shot is ok, but he'd be better overall as a player.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I think Stephens reported that it looked like Bxa wouldn't be back. Bxa also had some remarks at the end of the season that he was disapointed in his ice time or lack there of in the playoffs. I am pretty confident that Bxa isn't coming back.

Ah, thanks for this :) I was being slightly sarcastic in my response, but I had honestly not heard anything on him either way or their plans - figured they might take him back due to him being a 'good locker room guy' and doing various Ducks videos/skits, etc..

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If we could get a solid #5 type for a reasonable cost, I'm all for it. I'd also be fine with letting the kids battle it out and then adding a rental through the year if required. Pettersson and Welinski have probably earned a bit of rope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad