Post-Game Talk: Ducks 3, Canucks 0

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
We had 1 win in his final 9 games. He wasn't the glue, nor did he play particularly well in his final dozen games before injury.

Bah!....yet here we are with 3 games left and he sits at 6th in points with only 49 games played. He may not of scored in those last dozen games, but I recall him being noticeable and effective. Even Torts mentioned him being a huge loss to the team.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Santorelli was a player that worked hard and had effect...his loss is huge considering he was one of the player scoring

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Relative to his peers? Doubtful.

Hamhuis, Garrison (worse) has been equally as bad as Edler. We rarely hear anyone complaining about them. It's just the norm to **** on Edler.

Doesn't matter. Hamhuis has been good outside of his first 8 or 9 games of the season. Garrison's been horrible, however Garrison hasn't come close to 50 points in a season in his career, nobody ever said Garrison has #1 defenseman potential. Garrison has never done **** like this:

My god look at him skate, he's doing it!

Wow, what a great play to finish his check on Zetterberg, skate up the ice shorthanded and read the play and drive to the net!

Nobody gives Edler **** he doesn't deserve. We don't do it because he's playing bad, every one is playing bad - that doesn't give him an excuse. He's a fantastic player. That's why he gets so much "****". When you can play at such a high level like he has and you don't use that potential, you are going to face heavy criticism. Yeah he's not the only one but he's the player that has been performing the worst in relation to what he can be doing.

Edler used to be a fantastic playmaker with a great shot that found the back of the net in unreal places. As well as a physical imposing defenseman who logged 22+ minutes a night of quality hockey. That's the kind of defenseman he needs to be if we have a hope of being a Cup contender. Hamhuis as solid as he is should not be our best defenseman, nor should it be Bieksa, Garrison, or Tanev. It should be Edler and it can be Edler.

That's why he gets under the microscope so much.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We had 1 win in his final 9 games. He wasn't the glue, nor did he play particularly well in his final dozen games before injury.

Yeah. I liked what he brought to the table early, and he vastly overachieved to start the year. But to act like he was the linchpin of this whole operation is pretty laughable. And to anticipate that his pace to start this year is likely to pick up right where he left off next year, is setting oneself up for a letdown.

It can be easily fixed, but certain people (and fans are guilty of this too) are too loyal to certain players that they refuse to put any blame on them, or change the core. This has been a mentally weak team for years, yet the core hasn't changed. It shouldn't surprise anyone how bad this team has become, yet there are those still living in denial.

I've made no such assumptions either. But doing something different is bound to generate different results. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, and that's exactly what the Canucks have done. That's also exactly what a lot of Canuck fans want (more or less...mere tinkers isn't going to change squat with this team).

:laugh: Getting a new core that can win is "easy" now? Is that why half the league misses the playoffs every year? And why some teams flounder for nigh on a decade trying to "rebuild" a winning core? :help:

Bah!....yet here we are with 3 games left and he sits at 6th in points with only 49 games played. He may not of scored in those last dozen games, but I recall him being noticeable and effective. Even Torts mentioned him being a huge loss to the team.

That's really more just a sad sad reflection on the way the team's scoring as a whole this year. And how sharply they all dropped off a cliff when the unsustainable system caught up with them.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah. I liked what he brought to the table early, and he vastly overachieved to start the year. But to act like he was the linchpin of this whole operation is pretty laughable. And to anticipate that his pace to start this year is likely to pick up right where he left off next year, is setting oneself up for a letdown.

:laugh: Getting a new core that can win is "easy" now? Is that why half the league misses the playoffs every year? And why some teams flounder for nigh on a decade trying to "rebuild" a winning core? :help:

That's really more just a sad sad reflection on the way the team's scoring as a whole this year. And how sharply they all dropped off a cliff when the unsustainable system caught up with them.

Please show me where I said this? I was originally responding to someone who mentioned something along the lines of he doesn't know how we could change the leadership on this team. It's quite simple.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
i feel really bad about the team right now, as if nothing that happens in the off-season can realistically right the ship. but i felt mostly fine after LA. i think it's just the shut-out blues, same as always. i am very interested to see what happens in the off-season and, most of all, i hope henrik and daniel can find some redemption next year. it's been a while coming.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Please show me where I said this? I was originally responding to someone who mentioned something along the lines of he doesn't know how we could change the leadership on this team. It's quite simple.

Well it's implied in changing the leadership, you're changing the core. And unless you're advocating for changing the core/leadership just for the sake of making a change, i would expect that the endgame would be to install a better leadership/core group.

Is that not the case? Are you suggesting we should change our leadership group to an inferior one just because it's easy? :laugh:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Jekyll and Hyde for sure, but it seems like this core, every time it's all been on the line, find a way to play Hyde somehow.

2009 - Luongo has a ****** game at the worst time.
2010 - Hawks run their show at home, the teams look like they are in different leagues on our own ice.
2011 - Play a really good hockey game, can't score and breakdown defensively at the worst times. Not to mention stepping on Boston ice 3 times and getting thoroughly embarrassed 3 times.
2012 - Coming off 15 win playoff run, proceed to play 2 atrocious games of undisciplined play and breakdown after breakdown on the PP, Third and most important game...40 shots, no goals. Come up with nothing in the most important in the season again.
2013 - A core not so far removed from game 7 SCF plays like they don't give a **** the entire series and are swept.
2014 - Not a single **** was given on this season, once again shutout to be eliminated.

Every time you have a good team and are not lifting the Cup to end the season is disappointing, but I can't find a core who has managed to lose so disappointingly in so many different ways. This core, this team are the Peles of losing.

well there are other team that has constant 1st round/2nd round exit like the sharks....and they bring to contender form again. Got to change the leadership core. I not sure how that can be fixed

Please don't feel too bad, it happens to alot of teams. Remember that only the 4 best teams in the league get to go past the 2nd round. It's tough, but it's just part of losing.

he should get 1 more year since he already have 4 years left on the contract to fix the mess as some of it is his fault, torts faults, the players fault.....if those mistake are fixed we could be good next year. we already have some good player on the team and some heading for the farm, as well those in junior. The next step is to trade some players so there is fresh faces on the team

Came here to say that I know Torts seems like he wasn't the best thing for you guys, and I will agree that on the Rangers, he made hockey difficult to watch, as he plays a much slower game. But you saw that Rangers in 11-12, and they were nearly unstoppable. His system works,, but he needs the right grinders who can make offense from areas that most teams do not do...

I will say that Torts is absolutely responsible for making the Rangers what AV is fine-tuning. Stepan, Hagelin, McDonough, Girardi, Stralman, Talbot, have all been hand made by Torts (and trust me, that's a big one on Torts, because our AHL coaching staff is in nowhere land). If you guys are looking to retool, Torts is a great coach for developing young players.

I sorta figured we would have trouble with the new alignment this year... Looks like that came true to form.

that must have been some serious change going from the 2nd worst division in the league to being mixed in with the 3 california teams.

Sorry for intruding. I have a special spot for Torts. It was his time in NY, but he did many great things for us, including taking us as far as we ever went under our clown of a GM. He's a stubborn coach, but he's not a stupid coach.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
He's a stubborn coach, but he's not a stupid coach.

i think i can agree with this. his stubbornness was just especially damaging to us this year.

if he's willing to learn a little from it - and i think, considering he changed his media front this season, it's possible - perhaps he can introduce some flexibility to his on ice product next season. that's what needs to happen to bring this team to success. the core is here, like it or not. the only change is going to be supplemental pieces for the immediate future. if he can integrate his own system with something that allows the sedins to play their game their way - patiently, slowly, with the puck and not off it - i won't mind to see him resume his business here.

i'm not sure that will hapen though. we'll see.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Please don't feel too bad, it happens to alot of teams. Remember that only the 4 best teams in the league get to go past the 2nd round. It's tough, but it's just part of losing.

Came here to say that I know Torts seems like he wasn't the best thing for you guys, and I will agree that on the Rangers, he made hockey difficult to watch, as he plays a much slower game. But you saw that Rangers in 11-12, and they were nearly unstoppable. His system works,, but he needs the right grinders who can make offense from areas that most teams do not do...

I will say that Torts is absolutely responsible for making the Rangers what AV is fine-tuning. Stepan, Hagelin, McDonough, Girardi, Stralman, Talbot, have all been hand made by Torts (and trust me, that's a big one on Torts, because our AHL coaching staff is in nowhere land). If you guys are looking to retool, Torts is a great coach for developing young players.

that must have been some serious change going from the 2nd worst division in the league to being mixed in with the 3 california teams.

Sorry for intruding. I have a special spot for Torts. It was his time in NY, but he did many great things for us, including taking us as far as we ever went under our clown of a GM. He's a stubborn coach, but he's not a stupid coach.

I still maintain that Tortorella would've been a great fit for the Oilers this year. He's a horrendous coach as far as actually contending and putting a quality, watchable product on the ice, generating sustainable offense, etc, etc, etc. But i think his approach might have been exactly what the Oilers needed with their brat pack collection of spoiled little lottery picks and a losing culture.

The thing is, Tortorella treats his players like children. It doesn't work for a "real team". But for a team like the Oilers that is almost literally filled with children (in attitude at least)...bring in Tortorella for a couple years to beat the selfishness and spirit out of them, then two years later bring in a real coach and it would've been like a weight was lifted and they would all be greatful to just play a reasonable defensive game instead of this Tortorella nonsense.

But for a team like the Canucks...it was a horrendous hiring from the very start.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It can be easily fixed, but certain people (and fans are guilty of this too) are too loyal to certain players that they refuse to put any blame on them, or change the core. This has been a mentally weak team for years, yet the core hasn't changed. It shouldn't surprise anyone how bad this team has become, yet there are those still living in denial.

I've made no such assumptions either. But doing something different is bound to generate different results. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, and that's exactly what the Canucks have done. That's also exactly what a lot of Canuck fans want (more or less...mere tinkers isn't going to change squat with this team).

If the Canucks followed your plans we would have David Clarkson, Marian Gaborik, and Mike Cammallari. And no Sedins.

We would be historically bad. Your agenda against the Sedins is so bloody tiresome.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Nobody gives Edler **** he doesn't deserve. We don't do it because he's playing bad, every one is playing bad - that doesn't give him an excuse. He's a fantastic player. That's why he gets so much "****". When you can play at such a high level like he has and you don't use that potential, you are going to face heavy criticism. Yeah he's not the only one but he's the player that has been performing the worst in relation to what he can be doing.

Edler used to be a fantastic playmaker with a great shot that found the back of the net in unreal places. As well as a physical imposing defenseman who logged 22+ minutes a night of quality hockey. That's the kind of defenseman he needs to be if we have a hope of being a Cup contender. Hamhuis as solid as he is should not be our best defenseman, nor should it be Bieksa, Garrison, or Tanev. It should be Edler and it can be Edler.

That's why he gets under the microscope so much.

Your post rings very true. It is frustrating to see how inconsistent Edler is.

While your post may be relative to Edlers potential. The majority of posters on this site post in absolutes.

"Edler is terrible" is not "Edler is terrible considering what he's capable of" on these boards.

Only one of those statements are true.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Your post rings very true. It is frustrating to see how inconsistent Edler is.

While your post may be relative to Edlers potential. The majority of posters on this site post in absolutes.

"Edler is terrible" is not "Edler is terrible considering what he's capable of" on these boards.

Only one of those statements are true.

I wouldn't take much credence into emotional posts.

I think Edler is a great talent. It frustrates me to see him underachieve, just like it does with the team. I honestly think it would be worse if we didn't see those posts, because that's when you know people have given up on him.

I hope he hasn't given up on him. It's been a season from hell and I only hope the team comes back in a different mindset. But Torts was right when he arrived here, Edler is a key cog in the Canucks organization. He needs to be the player he was meant to be.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It would be great if Edler would waive, we really need to make two big moves like Kesler and Edler going to bring back solid pieces. Kesler for Pouliot, 2014 1st, 2015 1st, Edler for Sens 1st, 2015 2nd. Pouliot could step in next year to replace Edler and bring that puck moving D man, and we end up with 2 top 10 picks in this draft that we can use to draft more forwards.

So the solution to our scoring woes is to trade our best offensive forward and one of the most versatile players in the league for, admittedly, a good defensive prospect (which we don't need) and two almost guaranteed dead last picks?

That's... helpful. :rolleyes:

I suppose if you fancy sucking for the next 5-10 years we can give that a go.

And Anaheim doesn't need another defenseman. They have plenty. Besides, they were prefer a RHD, and one like Bieksa.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
is anybody really comparing the effort and execution in this game to playoff games from past years? the drive to make the playoffs at the tail end of this season was nothing more than pr, with only a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs

the results this game were no better than pretty much all of the earlier efforts against the california teams, and a sloppy 3-0 home loss is a pretty good summary of where this team is at after almost 80 games

no matter what happens this offseason (and nothing should be off the table in terms of ideas), you have to think that the top brass cannot ignore the aging of this team and the need to get younger

aside from that what a waste of a season, boring hockey for the most part and yet again the butt of the joke from most outside hockey fans

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well it's implied in changing the leadership, you're changing the core. And unless you're advocating for changing the core/leadership just for the sake of making a change, i would expect that the endgame would be to install a better leadership/core group.

Is that not the case? Are you suggesting we should change our leadership group to an inferior one just because it's easy? :laugh:

I'm suggesting a new leadership group would be something fresh that could perhaps kick start the team. A new vision and a new direction, preferably one that isn't mentally fragile that quits on the games that get too tough.

CaptainCanuck19

Jan 7, 2012
9 shots through 2 periods in a must win game. Pathetic.

I'm glad this season is over. Wholesale changes to this organization need to happen in the off season. Starting from Gillis and working it's way down.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/453519276566396928
Hearing whispers that perhaps change is coming sooner rather than later with the Canucks, perhaps as soon as today or tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/453520019893153792
“@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Hearing whispers change coming sooner rather than later in VAN, perhaps as soon as today or tomorrow...†Hearing same.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/453519538307338240
@Real_ESPNLeBrun. Very possible. Hearing the same. "Fire Gillis' chant last night didn't help.

RIP someone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad