Post-Game Talk: DuckDuckDuckDuck Goose: Pens 0 Ducks 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well, it looks like he’s gotten the part about having to play Reaves and hasn’t budged beyond that.

People mad at Reaves go on about him stopping them from having their speed identity, yet Archie rotted on the bench all season while Kuhn was trotted out game after game...

They could have still had a fast fourth line with Reaves by using Archie, but for whatever reasons, Sullivan didn't want to adhere to the identity he created.

That most definitely is not Reaves fault.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What does this team need skill and offense for when clearly being able to block shots on the PK is much more important?

But Sprong doesn't block shots and skate like a goober...

Some commenters in the PG mention a "rumor" that Sid, G and Letang hate Sully, likely over keeping Murray over MAF. Speculate they are playing this way to get him fired. Anyone heard anything like this?

Ya, they hate the guy that saved their legacies as their team was circling the drain.

People are so gullible.

Ownership will never trade Crosby but for the Penguins to remain elite in the future Malkin , Kessel , Letang all need to be traded by the deadline this season or by the draft this summer . The ride is over avoid becoming Colorado , Detroit who were once great teams who are now happy if their able to just make the playoffs .

This sounds exactly like what people said two years ago...

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
People mad at Reaves go on about him stopping them from having their speed identity, yet Archie rotted on the bench all season while Kuhn was trotted out game after game...

They could have still had a fast fourth line with Reaves by using Archie, but for whatever reasons, Sullivan didn't want to adhere to the identity he created.

You can be right about Reaves being a terrible move and also believe that he is down the list of what is wrong with this team. Which lets face it begins with Crosby and Malkin. Then Letang. Then the entire team oddly out of sync, unable to pass, hit the net, go to the net, battle for pucks, and on and on. Defensive struggles. Put Reaves and his poorly constucted line somewhere after that.

The Reaves issue could hold this team back from three peating. But other issues are keeping this team from even thinking of the playoffs. It makes the Reaves issue, while accurate, almost irrelevant.

But that does not make the criticism wrong.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm nervous that we're going to see a Letang for Barrie + Soderberg trade.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ownership will never trade Crosby but for the Penguins to remain elite in the future Malkin , Kessel , Letang all need to be traded by the deadline this season or by the draft this summer . The ride is over avoid becoming Colorado , Detroit who were once great teams who are now happy if their able to just make the playoffs .

Totally. Blowing up back-to-back Cup Champs by trading 3 superstars who just turned 30 sounds like a reasonable response to being a few points out of playoff position after 37 games.

Great way to keep the fanbase supporting the team too.

Reactions: BHD and EightyOne

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Josh Yohe bottom lining it very well the other day when asked, saying that while he personally thinks Reaves hasn't been good, that "Sid and Geno love having Reaves on the team."

Also wrote, fwiw,that Letang won't be traded, in his opinion. That GMJR would never sell low on him.

Also feels that Cole will be traded. Steigy also said that in an interview.

Also mentioned that the biggest leader on the team, ( mentioned by several players) is Hornqvist.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

The scapegoating Reaves right now is f***ing hilarious. I could honestly make the case he's actually had a few really solid games. Being part of an energy 4th line, especially the Colorado game, they were doing their part and getting our stars on the PP. And for the record, I wasn't for the trade at all. But anyone saying Reaves is an issue is just reaching.

Then there is JR scapegoating. JR, who took what looked like a closed window in 2014 to back to back champs, had the right mindset of new blood but unfortunately things aren't falling our way. LV being good really sucks. If JR overpaid, the same clowns would be bitching about him overpaying.

And then Sully. Sully is hard on the guys and probably needs to flip the script a little. I don't want Bylsma level accountability but 2 years hard on these guys and they are all mentally and physically drained. You can't just say "STAY LASER FOCUSED" and skate the team hard (which has been noted) each day. This is a tough situation. But that doesn't make him a bad coach in any way.

All the ignorance of the players: Sid/Letang being top 2 and many others struggling such as Jake to score, Rust to finish, lack of overall hunger, etc. I can honestly say the only 2 players playing up to their abilities are 72 and 81. Honorable mentions to Murray/Jarry. This team, built as is, is not as bad as the record or what is on the ice. The players are to blame in this situation and JR is clearly trying to Wild West this one back to the Cup, but everything we need would be at a horrible cost.

Do you want us to give an unprotected first for a rental right now? If we are out of the playoffs and into the lottery, that looks horrible. Do you want to try and trade Hags who f***ing sucks this year and just think other GMs aren't paying attention? That won't work. You will have to take an equally sucky player back. Do you want us to move Dumo or Maatta? It's just not that easy. Other teams have to be in play, too.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Totally. Blowing up back-to-back Cup Champs by trading 3 superstars who just turned 30 sounds like a reasonable response to being a few points out of playoff position after 37 games.

I love the people who declare 30 as ancient on HF anymore. :laugh: 29 is okay. That's prime. 30... f*** that! Over the hill!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

No, but I think it’s clear JR gave Sullivan a player he won’t use as more than a standard goon but will play every game for whatever reason. That can’t help the situation.

There was a breakdown in communication or whatever somewhere and Sullivan hasn’t adapted to Reaves well. It’s an interesting little red flag.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
This is what happens when your bottomsix and 4-6D are not able to play above their skill.

Last year, there were guys there that could survive above their skill.

That's missing. And it really hurts when the top six and 1-3D are consistently below their level of skill.

Was it really pure Pens playing the right way the last two years? Or a crazy cosmic alignment? Should they have failed?

Or is this just the new f*** it we doubt need to try during the first third of a season thing?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Also feels that Cole will be traded. Steigy also said that in an interview.

Also mentioned that the biggest leader on the team, ( mentioned by several players) is Hornqvist.

As a defensive d who's an impending UFA, I wonder whether Cole would return something more than he's worth to us. He's been a playoff warrior.

Love Horny. I just wish Sully would commit to keeping him off Geno's line. It's never, ever worked, yet it's a regular option...not unlike Sid and Rust. The team has obvious holes, but Sully sometimes makes it a lot more difficult than it needs to be with his insistence on going back to a couple of oil-and-water combos.

I love the people who declare 30 as ancient on HF anymore. :laugh: 29 is okay. That's prime. 30... **** that! Over the hill!

When you're 13, 30 is ancient.

All the ignorance of the players: Sid/Letang being top 2 and many others struggling such as Jake to score, Rust to finish, lack of overall hunger, etc. I can honestly say the only 2 players playing up to their abilities are 72 and 81. Honorable mentions to Murray/Jarry. This team, built as is, is not as bad as the record or what is on the ice. The players are to blame in this situation and JR is clearly trying to Wild West this one back to the Cup, but everything we need would be at a horrible cost.

I never thought I'd see the day when Kessel would be outworking Crosby over a half-season. But that's where we're at.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@EightyOne You think the entire team is playing the way they are because 4-6D and bottom 6? I mean come on. What games are you people watching? The 4-6D and bottom 6 need upgraded to be serious Cup contenders, not to even make a freaking playoff spot.

Let's take a gander at some issues from last night:

- Goal #1 was an idiotic lack of focus where Letang put a terrible no look d to d pass to Dumo that went flying off the wall. Dumo should have had his feet moving to be able to at least recover in some way. How is this on bottom 6 or anything else?

- Sid has a chance to tie it up 11:54 down 1-0 backdoor, and the puck flubs off his stick. Happens. Very fast play, but a play we needed. Guentzel missed another 2-3 chances. How is this on the bottom 6?

- L4 goes out there, Reaves draws a penalty, PP goes out there and.... gives up a SHG. The PP has been dog shit for the last few games. On this play, Geno goes in as F1 to pressure. Sid is covering his point and Letang is the weak side defender (point).

Board play, Anaheim looks to have the puck first w/ Geno pressuring. What does Sid do? Half asses it down the wall as the puck goes right by him. Letang... in WAAAY to deep on the weak side gives up the full middle of the ice. Breakaway for Anaheim. Done. How is this on the bottom 6? They got us the powerplay.

- Then the 2nd goal is even dumber. Oleksiak has an easy play up the boards with very minimal pressure. We have an easy out, flub it up the boards, and somehow give up a point blank chance. Probably one Murray would want back as it shouldn't have gone in. It's a dumb play up the boards and a turnover for no reason. You can blame the forwards, but I'm not sure why. It's an easy clear and SHOULD be an easy clear.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Cole. What's your argument? That EVERYONE sucks? Pretty much true.

I'm just saying that there's a lot of slack play out there on the top of the roster and this year we can't even rely on the bottom to hold it together. Hell I'd take a timely Kunitz goal at this point.

It's not much, but maybe a goal from the lower players would have helped stem the tide. Instead, everyone gives up hope on the ice.

I'm not blaming the bottom six for the loss. I'm blaming them for not winning. Lol.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My argument is so many people want to put the blame on JR, bottom 6, and Sully. There are legit excuses out there but the main reason our team sucks right now is because 87, 71, 58. The 3 stars combined with a lot of valid excuses are the reason this team is in a struggle to even make the playoffs (physical/mental exhaustion).

But every single game I read through GDT and PGT comments and it's "Ryan Reaves!" "JR!" "Sully!". It's bullshit. Scapegoating the real issues. And I think @Jacob said it best - while there are bigger issues on the team, the ones that are changeable are sadly things that JR can do with the bottom 6. And even those aren't easy.

But it's just tiring listening to people focus on the smaller issues and just completely turn a blind eye to legit excuses/reasons and main important factors as to why this season is bad. It's just so easy to blame Reaves. It's easy to sit there and criticize JR. But that's a lazy argument, IMO. Very lazy.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
But Sprong doesn't block shots and skate like a goober...

Ya, they hate the guy that saved their legacies as their team was circling the drain.

People are so gullible.

This sounds exactly like what people said two years ago...
yes but now its 2 years later

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
It's not JR's fault we have a lot of salary tied up and players wanted to secure their financial futures elsewhere. We can't just throw millions at 3rd/4th line bit players who might make more and play more ice time elsewhere.

There were only a few FA moves over the summer. Some way too expensive (Marleau), some just bad timing, some would not even want to play in Pittsburgh (shocking, I know..).

We have been dealt a really crappy hand and the poker face is just slipping a bit.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Great the team will be a non factor in 2/3 years just like Detroit . Penguins are 3 pts ahead of the Habs are everyone agrees we aren't good . What are the Penguins this season honestly ?

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's not JR's fault we have a lot of salary tied up and players wanted to secure their financial futures elsewhere. We can't just throw millions at 3rd/4th line bit players who might make more and play more ice time elsewhere.

There were only a few FA moves over the summer. Some way too expensive (Marleau), some just bad timing, some would not even want to play in Pittsburgh (shocking, I know..).

We have been dealt a really crappy hand and the poker face is just slipping a bit.

Oh i'll 1000000000000000000% agree with this. JR had to act tough and keep his poker face on praying that Vegas would fail because that was our #1 trade partner. Then you have teams fail like Montreal and the Oilers who we aren't really good trade partners with. Even Florida is a bad trade partner because we have to take on all salary and we would have to give up picks, which our unprotected first right now COULD be a lottery pick.

But you are 100% correct about the poker face being gone. He has a pair of deuces and everyone knows it. Not a position of strength, at all. But that's life and that's hockey. He tried to make it happen in 2014 and that was horrific. Did it in 2015 and back to back Cups cemented the legacy of 87/71. So at worst we have to be thankful for that. This season is getting close to being dead, but sometimes these are the biggest blessings of all time. Maybe a well rested Sid/Geno/Kessel/Letang get us exactly where we need to be for more runs.

Re-sign Bones/Cullen/Kunitz and we are in the same spot, IMO. And then people are blaming JR for trying to keep the band together. The narrative would be "this team is old!" :laugh:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Can't agree with Cole more. Look at the Caps. They were supposed to mail this season in before it even started after significant turnover. Yet they're in better shape right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad