• K’Andre Miller

• Braden Schneider

• Zac Jones

• Igor Shesterkin

Results are only viewable after voting.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Memorable game - the first that my daughter has watched with me in its entirety. She's learning lines and matchups.

Too many great moments to touch on all.

Chytil looked calm and in control and it led to better awareness and playmaking. If this is his new normal, he could surprise a lot of us.
Let us know when she starts cussing passionately at the television over Gallant's decisions. That's when you will know that you've succeeded.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Right?

I was watching going "they should have 10 and you're pulling him"?

As usual, my dog had no opinion.

Gibson made some great saves but it was all about being in the right spot for him. He didnt see half the saves he made, it just so happened that the pucks hit him. Georgiev should take notes

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I don't see Kakko as that different compared to last year to be honest. He was always nearly this good but suffered some injuries and didn't have linemates on par with Zib when healthy.

Maybe he's a tad stronger. But I really think he was just totally underrated last year. I made the comparison to Marian Hossa last year and said he will eventually play like him, everyone dogpiled on me saying he's going to be nowhere close to that.

He's a puck possession monster.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I dont think people remember how bad we were 5v5 last season.

The first 2-3 months were rough, to say the least. Well below 50% Corsi ove that span... looking at the rolling 10 game average.. The ascent/peak at the end of the year, obviously being after the TDL

mDjlQ7K.png

It's only been 4 games, but it's extremely encouraging to see how they've played.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mean, his corsi % is 68.5 through 4 games which is higher than Kakko & Mika, if youre into that sort of thing. I think hes been perfectly fine cog on that line so far.

His corsi is like 63% 5v5 which looks great, but its being driven by his line mates (who have slightly lower numbers, but believe it or not, they've also played more 5v5 than Kreider has this year. Kakko has played the most of the 3!)

Here is the most obvious instance of Kreider being ineffective 5v5 - He has 1 shot on goal at 5v5 through 4 games this year (Kakko has 9, Mika has 12!) That isn't going to cut it (he averaged around 2 a game last season.) But beyond the numbers, the eye test alone confirms that he hasn't been good at ES. Hes been super floaty in the OZ (he can win most races to loose pucks or use his wheels to seal off a wall, but he doesn't.) Hes looked unprepared for some pretty good passes coming his way that would have generated a quality scoring chance MULTIPLE times through 4 games, I think there were 3 of these alone yesterday!

His line is crushing it and operating at a high level, but it's because Kakko and Zibanejad are doing almost all of the work. And its not like Kreider isn't capable, he just hasn't done it so far. Just stylistically if hes going to play this way, Chytil is a better fit for him and thats a combo that has been pretty great in the past.

Off topic but heres a fun fact -

Our team leaders in iXG this year are..

Laf (1.37!)
Kakko (1.14)
Chytil (1.12)

The kids have shown up.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I dont think people remember how bad we were 5v5 last season.

The first 2-3 months were rough, to say the least. Well below 50% Corsi ove that span... looking at the rolling 10 game average.. The ascent/peak at the end of the year, obviously being after the TDL

mDjlQ7K.png

It's only been 4 games, but it's extremely encouraging to see how they've played.
yeah I really can't stress this enough, the Rangers haven't had a start or even streak like this in years. They are consistently a god awful possession team no matter who the coach was, or who was in the lineup, since 2014-2015. This is shockingly different in several ways (keeping significantly in mind it's been 4 games....). Just want to also say that while Minnesota is pretty ballsacks defensively, we still played the right way and played very well against a team that would usually do very well against us.

I am not advocating to get too excited (i'm certainly not myself) but playing like this for the rangers is not something that happens often. even when they were good post-TDL, they were still very Rangery-overpassing.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
His corsi is like 63% 5v5 which looks great, but its being driven by his line mates (who have slightly lower numbers, but believe it or not, they've also played more 5v5 than Kreider has this year. Kakko has played the most of the 3!)

Here is the most obvious instance of Kreider being ineffective 5v5 - He has 1 shot on goal at 5v5 through 4 games this year (Kakko has 9, Mika has 12!) That isn't going to cut it (he averaged around 2 a game last season.) But beyond the numbers, the eye test alone confirms that he hasn't been good at ES. Hes been super floaty in the OZ (he can win most races to loose pucks or use his wheels to seal off a wall, but he doesn't.) Hes looked unprepared for some pretty good passes coming his way that would have generated a quality scoring chance MULTIPLE times through 4 games, I think there were 3 of these alone yesterday!

His line is crushing it and operating at a high level, but it's because Kakko and Zibanejad are doing almost all of the work. And its not like Kreider isn't capable, he just hasn't done it so far. Just stylistically if hes going to play this way, Chytil is a better fit for him and thats a combo that has been pretty great in the past.

Laf (1.37!)
Kakko (1.14)
Chytil (1.12)

The kids have shown up.
You can split them up, but they still dominate. I assume if we hit a slump this year and need a spark, this line will be the plan.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Averaging almost 10 more shorts per game too. Should lead to more PP opportunities and hopefully the PP can finish at some ridiculous number like 30%,

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Do you guys remember how there were fans that were so convinced the Rangers were a horrible team that they defended David Quinn tooth and nail saying no other coach could have done better? Then Gallant with the same team minus a PPG player got 110 points and went to the ECF and is poised to be one of the best teams in the league while David Quinn's team looks like the worst team in the league? That was funny.
Sure, but also the team has definitely changed a bit and grown too. We also have an enforcer which would have helped tremendously in the shortened year when every team played solely within their division. Even still, Gallant >Quinn by far.

Laf (1.37!)
Kakko (1.14)
Chytil (1.12)

The kids have shown up.
I don't think there's anything wrong with not all 3 players producing on the top line as of now. Rangers aren't exactly hurting for offense in the first 4 games. Game 3 was the second of a back to back against a totally fresh opponent so I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now.

Kreider is as dangerous as a decoy as he is as a shooter on the top line. He draws a ton of attention and I'm sure it's a matter of time before he gets more shots and deflections into the net. You sometimes have to look at a line as a whole rather than trying to optimize every player in the top 6 for point production. If he's only there to create space for Zib and Kakko to handle the puck more, then so be it.

I would like to see the entire team improve in their own zone and the neutral zone. But that's not a criticism I can honestly levy at just Kreider.

Reactions: egelband

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I am not advocating to get too excited (i'm certainly not myself) but playing like this for the rangers is not something that happens often. even when they were good post-TDL, they were still very Rangery-overpassing.
It's great to see our 'leaders' Zibs and Panarin shooting. Then sprinkle in a Kakko who it looked as if he was refusing to shoot last season. Replace Strome with Trocheck, who shoots.. Might not sound like much but that's our entire top6 shooting/attacking now

Having a top 5v5/possession game, is a potentiator for our, already elite, PP... they go hand in hand.... we possess the puck at even-strength, there's the likelihood we get more Power Plays. quick maf.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So the other teams get excused for being a mess, but we are supposed to be playing perfect defense right now?
Firstly, where did I say that?

Secondly, I expect this team to be better than Tampa and minn, and they certainly should be able to STOMP Winnipeg and Anaheim.

Putting this team in a general plane with those four teams is silly. This team is striving to be on a level with Colorado. All I'm saying is temper the "no one in this league can beat us talk" which started around here and let's see what they do on the 25th against a team that dummied them last year. I don't get excited about beating bad or struggling teams. It's like getting an erection at a 60 and over strip club. Doesn't excite me...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's great to see our 'leaders' Zibs and Panarin shooting. Then sprinkle in a Kakko who it looked as if he was refusing to shoot last season. Replace Strome with Trocheck, who shoots.. Might not sound like much but that's our entire top6 shooting/attacking now

Having a top 5v5/possession game, is a potentiator for our, already elite, PP... they go hand in hand.... we possess the puck at even-strength, there's the likelihood we get more Power Plays. quick maf.

Us not overpassing now is fine because we're getting good chances. What makes me mad is when Joe says everything should be a shot seemingly regardless of how good of a shooting opportunity it is.

Secondly, I expect this team to be better than Tampa and minn, and they certainly should be able to STOMP Winnipeg and Anaheim.

Putting this team in a general plane with those four teams is silly. This team is striving to be on a level with Colorado. All I'm saying is temper the "no one in this league can beat us talk" which started around here and let's see what they do on the 25th against a team that dummied them last year. I don't get excited about beating bad or struggling teams. It's like getting an erection at a 60 and over strip club. Doesn't excite me...

The Avs were a better team last year AND they didn't face Shesterkin in either game. Even the Georgiev game was 3-2 with like a minute left and ended 4-2. Not like it was a blowout. Game one was a goalie that shouldn't have been in the NHL with a very difficult schedule right before that.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The Avs were a better team last year AND they didn't face Shesterkin in either game. Even the Georgiev game was 3-2 with like a minute left and ended 4-2. Not like it was a blowout. Game one was a goalie that shouldn't have been in the NHL with a very difficult schedule right before that.
That's fine, but the avs still were a noticeably better team. I dont understand arguing this. They are literally playing them in a week so why cant we just wait and see how they play the avs who will really be their first test since opening night. You are almost trying to argue that I am saying something beyond the fact that I am reserving judegement on this team until 10 games in and seeing them play some of the true contenders in this league. I am excited to see how they respond to those challenges and I am hoping the good from their start is still there and the slop from their start is cleaned up with higher intensity against the defending champs and other contenders.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017

Other discussions you have had have come off as, the teams were are playing suck right now so our offensive output doesn't count, and we suck on defense/Igor isn't great so I'm not excited.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's fine, but the avs still were a noticeably better team. I dont understand arguing this. They are literally playing them in a week so why cant we just wait and see how they play the avs who will really be their first test since opening night. You are almost trying to argue that I am saying something beyond the fact that I am reserving judegement on this team until 10 games in and seeing them play some of the true contenders in this league. I am excited to see how they respond to those challenges and I am hoping the good from their start is still there and the slop from their start is cleaned up with higher intensity against the defending champs and other contenders.

We can wait though if we look bad in that game it won't mean that we're automatically not a contender it's one team that plays out west. If we do make the SCF it's entirely possible they would have been upset before then. I will say I REALLY hope they start Georgiev in that game and we light him up for 5+.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Other discussions you have had have come off as, the teams were are playing suck right now so our offensive output doesn't count, and we suck on defense/Igor isn't great so I'm not excited.
we are defensively sloppy, you think this team should give up 4 to the ducks? regardless of where we are in the season.

i have said and stand by the statment that skill should trump structure in the begining of the season bc most teams have significant turnover and need 10-15 games to fall into a d structure. the skill on this team (which is elite) should take advatage of that

i dont think tampa is going to be the tampa team we have seen and they are still missing guys when we played them. the wild are a mess, a complete mess right now 1-20 (which is equally unacceptable), the jets and ducks are not playoff teams. nyr with its roster, skill, and goaltending should beat those teams easily. look at the leafs last night losing to the yotes, unacceptable for a team striving to be a contender (i have my own opinion of the leafs).

i never said out output doesnt count, i said i am reserved about the "no one can beat us talk" bc we beat a couple of struggling or bad teams (yet still lost to the jets ha).

"we suck on defense/Igor isn't great so I'm not excited" ????? huh, i have said we have been loose defensively, but so has the actual team. Fox literally said last night they were bad defensively yet youre criticizing me for it? weird angle. I have also not said a word about igor other than defend him and say that many goalies that excel with heavy workloads need an adjustment period when they play in front of better teams that dont give up as many shots and I think that is part of what is going on with igor right now. I have not dumped on igor at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad