Eklund Rumor: Duchene to Philly or Islanders

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I don't know who would Philly trade for Duchene. I don't think they would need him or have pieces they are willing to trade to get him.

Non playoff teams can usually find room for a 26 yrs old Matt Duchene on a 6 mil contract being offered around.

Not saying Hextall wants to go there but since Colorado is not in a cap crunch, it makes things easier.

Big names can move plus young prospects are in his pipeline. And he (almost) won the lotto.

For the record i dont believe it will get done but not laughing at the report.

Sakic might be looking at a 2-3 yrs rebuilding with picks 2 and 4 from this draft. Hextall might feel Lindblom is a sure thing and could be rethinking his slow approach to the Cup.

Duchene great top 6 add.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Weird that Ghost gets a 6 year extension after been a regular scratch last season. He seems to put up good points but is his D play that bad? It's most likely something like....

To Colorado
Ghost plus something

To Philly
Duchene plus a smaller something.

Philly then drafts Heiskinen instead of Hischier since they get a top C with Duchene. Lots of talk from philly scouts that they reallly like Heiskinen and would love a future top pairing of Provorov and Heiskinen.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Weird that Ghost gets a 6 year extension after been a regular scratch last season. He seems to put up good points but is his D play that bad? It's most likely something like....

To Colorado
Ghost plus something

To Philly

Philly then drafts Heiskinen instead of Hischier since they get a top C with Duchene. Lots of talk from philly scouts that they reallly like Heiskinen and would love a future top pairing of Provorov and Heiskinen.

Where did you see this?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

To Colorado
Ghost plus something

To Philly

I seriously doubt they just signed Gostisbehere to the contract they did just to turn around & trade him. He was an RFA so they could have just traded him without a contract if they really wanted to.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

To Colorado
Ghost plus something

To Philly

I find it even weirdier that you accept to send Duchene our way 1 for 1 but with a smaller something going back on top. After saying he is a regular scratch. Just a few seconds later.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I seriously doubt they just signed Gostisbehere to the contract they did just to turn around & trade him. He was an RFA so they could have just traded him without a contract if they really wanted to.

I would argue his value is higher with him signed

phillyfan43

Jun 10, 2017
Possible tade

To Philly:
Duchene
4OA

To Colorado:
Schenn
McDonald
2OA

This would make sense for philly if Hextall believes whoever he would get at Number 2 is about the same as what he would get at number 4. So if Hextall isn't high on Hischier and thinks he is about the same as Vilardi it makes sense. Duchene for Schenn makes sense too, if he thinks Duchene will work better on Giroux and Voracek's line. They tried Schenn there multiple times and it has not worked. I think with Duchene's skill set it would suit G and Voracek's style better. We could also get rid of an over priced contract in McDonald. It also makes way for another young defenseman (Sanheim or Myers, maybe even TJ Brennan)

It would make sense for Colorado if Sakic thinks Hischier is a step above the talent he might get at Number 4. He is also getting rid of a disgruntled Duchene and getting pretty good value in Brayden Schenn who is also young and could play center or wing. He's also getting a serviceable (?) defenseman in McDonald. They don't have the same cap concerns philly has either so the cap hit is not a problem.

What do you think?

phillyfan43

Jun 10, 2017
follow up

Possible line combinations:

Duchene G Voracek
Weal Filpula Simmonds
Konecny Couturier Lindblom
Read Vecchione Bellmare

Expansion Draft: Raffl

Extra Forwards Weise, Cousins

Vilardi would stay in Juniors or AHL if capable. Move to NHL following year when Filpula leaves.

Defense:
Provorov Gudas
Ghost Morin
Hagg Brennan/Sanheim
Extra Defense Manning

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Schenn is slightly younger, on a better contract and has posted more points on average the last two seasons (100 for Duchene, 114 for Schenn) Also is more physical while Duchene is built more on speed. With that said the difference in value from picking #2 to picking #4 is more than dumping McDonald's contract.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Never attach negatives to your truly premium assets. You're blunting your return in one of the few situations where you can demand quality.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Eklund just tweeted Flyers and Islanders leading the pack for Duchene.

The Only way I can see this if the Flyers are sending B.Schenn the other way and a none blue chip D prospect. I can't see the Avs expecting that. I imagine Hextall is trying, but I doubt he's willing to move the pieces necessary to pull this off unless Colorado is desperate.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Didn't he have a very good track record with the Flyers before Hextall arrived?

What did exactly change?

Looking at this, it only makes sense if the Flyers think their window is now and if they want to really go for it next season (which isn't unlikely given the age of Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds).

Something around #2, MacDonald, decent prospect or player (to offset that horrible contract a bit) is probably not a terrible deal. Philly really IMO needs to get rid of that contract (especially after locking up Ghost longterm and Sanheim getting closer with their limited amount of cap thanks to their few big contracts)...

If they can sign Mason (or ideally maybe trade Schenn for a better cheap goalie like Grubauer or a similar goalie Vegas takes + a decent RD) and use the freed up capspace on a guy like Shattenkirk, they could be a serious threat to PIT next season...

Don't think it will happen because building up a younger core of Provorov, Sanheim, #2, Lindblom, etc. should be very intriguing for the flyers but I don't think it is impossible either...

I'd do #2OA, MacDonald & our 2nd rounder for Duchene & #4 OA. We get a lesser player this draft but Duchene makes up for it (I hope), MacDonald balances the $s & the pick is for taking him off our hands. Giroux, Duchene, Couts looks good so Hex isn't tied into drafting a center that hopefully replaces Claude someday.
MacDonald is useful to a building team like the Avs in need of D but the Flyers need roster spots for the young D. The higher pick & extra 2nd help the Avs speed their rebuild.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'd do #2OA, MacDonald & our 2nd rounder for Duchene & #4 OA. We get a lesser player this draft but Duchene makes up for it (I hope), MacDonald balances the $s & the pick is for taking him off our hands. Giroux, Duchene, Couts looks good so Hex isn't tied into drafting a center that hopefully replaces Claude someday.
MacDonald is useful to a building team like the Avs in need of D but the Flyers need roster spots for the young D. The higher pick & extra 2nd help the Avs speed their rebuild.

No, MacDonald really isn't useful for the Avs. Sure, he's better than Goloubef, but he's also got a $5m cap hit for the next 3 years. The Avs could re-sign Tyutin, save $4m per year and get similar results.

The way I look it that trade, it breaks down to 2 + MacDonald for 4, and a mid-2nd for Duchene. The first part (2 + MacDonald for 4) probably isn't the best value for the Flyers, but the 2nd part is absolutely horrible for the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad