Eklund Rumor: Duchene to Philly or Islanders

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
3. Ryan Pulock, D, New York Islanders (-58)
Last year: 43rd
This year: Not ranked
Blame the organization and some bad luck. The Isles have repeatedly blocked Pulock on their defensive depth chart with aging veterans, preventing him from getting an extended NHL look even though he had little left to prove in the AHL. He made a strong showing in a 15-game trial late in 2015-16, which bled into the playoffs. Pulock posted elite possession numbers in that stretch. A broken foot in October derailed his 2016-17 season. The good news: he has a monster shot, clocked at Shea Weber speeds, and will help the Isles’ power play if and when he finally gets the chance he deserves. His skating is average at best, but that was true the day New York drafted him in 2013. We know who he is.
Injury and lack of opportunity have squashed Pulock’s prospect ranking, but it’s an artificial fall. He still has an intriguing ceiling.

Biased Islanders fan here but I think this sums up Pulock's status very well

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Biased Islanders fan here but I think this sums up Pulock's status very well

I proposed NYI players that for some reason might need a change of scenery.

The list has both NYI players that could be approaching bust levels, so the risks are with each team. NYI resigning Duchene and returning to all-star potential. Avs with fallen draft picks with tremendous potential if they can recover.

Duchene
2017 - 2nd Round (32nd Pick)

For

de Haan (could be lost in expansion draft)
Pulock (disappointed a scenery change might help)
Dal Colle
2017 - 1st Round (15th Pick)

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016

The list has both NYI players that could be approaching bust levels, so the risks are with each team. NYI resigning Duchene and returning to all-star potential. Avs with fallen draft picks with tremendous potential if they can recover.

Duchene

For

Dal Colle

Sorry but this is just way too much. 2 top 100 prospects in the NHL and an established top 4 d along with 15 OA is way to much even with the 2nd coming back. Take de haan or pulock out and take out the 2nd from the avs and its better. We could always pay vegas to not take one of them or more likely protect 4 d and 4 forwards and lose strome or nelson to expansion.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

Duchene

For

Dal Colle

Except neither Pulock nor Dal Colle are reaching bust levels. You're basing this off of nothing but an opinion piece.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
DeHaan and Strome for Duchene... Colorado gets a little younger/deeper and the NYI's get a little better up front.

As an Islanders fan, I think our 1st would have to be included and even then it's a risk (justifiably) Sakic might not like to take.

de Haan is a solid top 4 dman that makes his partner better (that last part can not be overstated enough). Strome has the tools to be a quality 2nd liner. The first is in top 15 territory. Still, Duchene is a proven first liner. Colorado might not get better quantity offer-wise but should get better quality.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
As an Islanders fan, I think our 1st would have to be included and even then it's a risk (justifiably) Sakic might not like to take.

de Haan is a solid top 4 dman that makes his partner better (that last part can not be overstated enough). Strome has the tools to be a quality 2nd liner. The first is in top 15 territory. Still, Duchene is a proven first liner. Colorado might not get better quantity offer-wise but should get better quality.

But then the NYI are taking on all of the risk in this deal. It's not fair.

Let's say DeHaan, Strome and a 1st goes down. Duchene posts 55 points next season. Strome posts 45 points. DeHaan is a solid top-4 contributor. That could be argued as a little iffy for the Isles, but defensible. If that scenario happens and the Isles throw a cherry on-top 1st round pick? Yikes.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
But then the NYI are taking on all of the risk in this deal. It's not fair.

Let's say DeHaan, Strome and a 1st goes down. Duchene posts 55 points next season. Strome posts 45 points. DeHaan is a solid top-4 contributor. That could be argued as a little iffy for the Isles, but defensible. If that scenario happens and the Isles throw a cherry on-top 1st round pick? Yikes.

I understand your line of thinking and it makes sense. The fact is that there will be some kind of bidding war and you're going to have to overpay; compounded with the expansion draft and possibility of losing a Strome or de Haan anyway.

As an Isles fan, I look at it being acquiring a legitimate 2nd line center scoring threat who excels in the face-off circle and is very good on the PP. Currently we don't have that as neither Nelson or Strome is good in this area. Barzal might be but he is going to need an adjustment either in the A or in the NHL in a 3rd line capacity.

This trade (if accepted) would still have the Isles retain their top F and D prospects while obtaining a much necessary "core" piece.

I'd be willing to overpay for that. Still don't know if that's better than any other offer Colorado has or will receive prior to the (seemingly inevitable) trading of Duchene.

I would HATE to lose de Haan. He is severely underrated on these boards. He's an excellent defenseman who allows his partner the ability to freewheel, pinch and take chances. de Haan is excellent positionally.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I understand your line of thinking and it makes sense. The fact is that there will be some kind of bidding war and you're going to have to overpay; compounded with the expansion draft and possibility of losing a Strome or de Haan anyway.

As an Isles fan, I look at it being acquiring a legitimate 2nd line center scoring threat who excels in the face-off circle and is very good on the PP. Currently we don't have that as neither Nelson or Strome is good in this area. Barzal might be but he is going to need an adjustment either in the A or in the NHL in a 3rd line capacity.

This trade (if accepted) would still have the Isles retain their top F and D prospects while obtaining a much necessary "core" piece.

I'd be willing to overpay for that. Still don't know if that's better than any other offer Colorado has or will receive prior to the (seemingly inevitable) trading of Duchene.

I would HATE to lose de Haan. He is severely underrated on these boards. He's an excellent defenseman who allows his partner the ability to freewheel, pinch and take chances. de Haan is excellent positionally.

If acquiring Duchene shows JT you're willing to give him some help and he re-signs for 7-8 years, it is worth it all day every day and twice on Sundays. That is the Isles main priority now.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If acquiring Duchene shows JT you're willing to give him some help and he re-signs for 7-8 years, it is worth it all day every day and twice on Sundays. That is the Isles main priority now.

NYI realize Tavares is gone unless they show so type of improvement. They have the 3rd worst attendance in the NHL and only 6 fans per game from being tied with Arizona for 2nd. Duchene will give the team an immediate boost until the prospects Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, Strome and Sorokin etc are ready.

So keeping your best prospects and trading players that could be lost in the draft or underachieving (See Top 10 Possible Busts Post #121) is not too much to sacrifice. To recap, following are my reasons for choosing these prospects:

Duchene (proven and 2 years to bounce back)

For

de Haan (could be lost in expansion draft and slightly older 26 than the Avs needs)
Pulock (Ranked #3 Bust - disappointed and injury prone after 4 years)
Dal Colle (Ranked # 6 Bust - AHL disappointed)

So essentially the NYI are trading a player lost for nothing in the draft, 2 disappointing prospects, trading down 17 spots. The return would be Duchene that will thrive with better wingers and D with 2 years remaining to prove he deserves his final long-term lucrative contract. This should keep Tavares happy and improve the possibility he resigns, especially when he's already friend's with Duchene.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
2 disappointing prospects

Pulock is far from disappointing. 24pts in the A 2 years ago, 46 in 55gp last year.

Isles have simply not wanted to entrust a rookie D in their top 6 coming off a series win against the Panthers.

The Isles fanbase is totally confused on why a team with a lousy PP and no legitimate shot from the point hasn't promoted Pulock and his 105mph shot. The only thing disappointing is Snow's reluctance to bring him in as a regular last year.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Pulock is far from disappointing. 24pts in the A 2 years ago, 46 in 55gp last year.

Isles have simply not wanted to entrust a rookie D in their top 6 coming off a series win against the Panthers.

The Isles fanbase is totally confused on why a team with a lousy PP and no legitimate shot from the point hasn't promoted Pulock and his 105mph shot. The only thing disappointing is Snow's reluctance to bring him in as a regular last year.

Snow can make some brilliant moves ie. Reinhart for Barzal and Beauvillier (traded up at draft) and some dumb choices Vanek for 2014 1st round pick + Moulson + 2015 2nd round pick.

I understand the NYI fanbase and their concerns about trading prospects for Duchene. Snow can be questionable with his decisions and this can turnout to be a disaster.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
Why is it even allowed to create a thread listing Eklund as a source ? He has zero contact and doesn't have any credibility.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
NYI realize Tavares is gone unless they show so type of improvement. They have the 3rd worst attendance in the NHL and only 6 fans per game from being tied with Arizona for 2nd. Duchene will give the team an immediate boost until the prospects Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, Strome and Sorokin etc are ready.

So keeping your best prospects and trading players that could be lost in the draft or underachieving (See Top 10 Possible Busts Post #121) is not too much to sacrifice. To recap, following are my reasons for choosing these prospects:

Duchene (proven and 2 years to bounce back)

For

de Haan (could be lost in expansion draft and slightly older 26 than the Avs needs)
Dal Colle (Ranked # 6 Bust - AHL disappointed)

So essentially the NYI are trading a player lost for nothing in the draft, 2 disappointing prospects, trading down 17 spots. The return would be Duchene that will thrive with better wingers and D with 2 years remaining to prove he deserves his final long-term lucrative contract. This should keep Tavares happy and improve the possibility he resigns, especially when he's already friend's with Duchene.

So much wrong here I don't even know where to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad