Proposal: Duchene to Ottawa

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
While the Ceci for Duchene straight up part may be a little over the top. Try to answer to his points about the difference between Zibanejad and Duchene.

The whole comparison is disengenuous. It's a below average year for Duchene versus Zibby's career year. Even considering that, he acts like the ten extra points Duchene had were no big deal (they are). He's gives Zibby's credit for upside but totally ignores that at 23 Duchene had 70 points in 70.01 games. Zibby isn't better defensively. Neither are particularly stellar in that regard.

Moving forward, the smart money is on Duchene continuing to produce at a higher rate. So yeah, Duchene makes, and will make, more. Better players get paid more. As of right now $6m is a great deal for him. And he's signed for three more years, not two.

Last edited:

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Zibby isn't better than Duchene defensively. He's projected to be and came out of the draft as a potential two way stud but he isn't that yet. It's like when people call Sean Monahan great defensively. He may be in the future, but he isn't very good yet. Saying either Duchene or Zibby are better than the other defensively is being a total homer of the team you cheer for.

For the rest of their games the two aren't close. I always hear Sens fans saying Duchene is only good for 10 more points than Z but where did this come from? From last season when Duchene had one of his worst statistical seasons while Zibanejad had a career year at 51 points? That's just dumb. You don't compare the highs of one players career to the lows of the other.

Careers:
Duchene: 377pts in 495gms = .762PPG = 62 points per 82 games played
Zibanejad : 151pts in 281gms = 0.537PPG = 44 points per 82 games played

Last 3 seasons combined:
Duchene: 184pts in 229 gms = 0.803PPG = 66 points per 82 games played
Zibanejad: 130 pts in 230 gms = 0.565PPG = 46 points per 82 games played

Last season only:
Duchene: 59 points in 76 games = 0.776PPG = 64 points per 82 games played
Zibanejad: 51 points in 81 games = 0.630PPG = 52 points per 82 games played

So Please, fans of the Ottawa Senators stop saying that Matt Duchene is only 10 points better than Zibanejad. You're all very wrong when you say that.

I agree that Duchene has definitely been underrated a lot lately, but when you look at the production numbers you posted, two things become clear:

1. Duchene has had fairly consistent production.
2. Zibanejad has substantially improved his production year after year.

So the question is, is this current production what we can expect from Duchene, or can he get back to his 70-75p per 82 gp numbers from years before? Is the drop just a matter of bad coaching, or other factors, or is that the player he is? Does Zibanejad keep improving, or is this where his production starts to plateau?

If you're a Sens fan, you can't bet on Duchene going back to better numbers, and Zibanejad peaking. If you're an Avs fan, you can't bet on Zibanejad improving to Duchene's best numbers.

Obviously Duchene should have more value than Zibanejad, because of those still pretty recent 3 67+ seasons (including the lockout year), but the difference between them being Ceci is just way too much, especially after just witnessing how much value is placed on young defencemen.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Has Duchenes value really dropped off that much that hes not worth Zibanejad+Ceci?

Figured Avs fans would laugh this off.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's the same old, same old in this thread. We've beaten the Duchene to Ottawa proposal multiple times.

I hate to break it to you Sens fans you're over-rating your players. The Avs are not over-rating and have a 1C, that would be agreed by most of league and is playing on team Canada in the World Cup.

Saying Ceci is on the level with Larsson and Jones etc. where he could return a 1C or 1LW is absolutely laughable. Ceci is a solid top 4 dman, but on no planet would a GM give up a quality 1st liner in a 1 for 1 deal for him. Don't believe me go check out the hero charts. Stats don't lie both Jones and Larsson are better than Ceci by a decent amount. Even Trouba is significantly better advanced stats wise.

I also find it funny that Sens fans seem to think there isn't much difference between Duchene and Zibby. When it couldn't be further from the truth. One is a quality 1C the other is a decent 2C. Sens fans like to point out the "stats" and say he was only 10 points worse than Duchene last season. Well that might be the case, but can you tell me the last time Zibby broke 60pts?? Oh yeah that's right it's never happened because last year was a career year. You can't compare a career year to a guys middle of the road year. You want to compare career years, fine we can do that but it wouldn't be pretty for Sens fans.

The fact is the Avs have a very valuable asset in Duchene that would be coveted by all other 29 teams in the league if he were to get traded. The Avs could do better than a 2C and #3-#4 dman return. They should be able to flip him at minimum in a 1 for 1 deal for a 1st pairing guy like Jones or Larsson which would be a better return than what has been offered here.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Has Duchenes value really dropped off that much that hes not worth Zibanejad+Ceci?

Duchene is better than Zibby nobody is arguing this ,but the plus from us would not be Ceci a 22 year old top 4 RHD that has played very well for us .He is not just a throw in!!! people need to stop undervaluing him.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I also find it funny that Sens fans seem to think there isn't much difference between Duchene and Zibby. When it couldn't be further from the truth. One is a quality 1C the other is a decent 2C. Sens fans like to point out the "stats" and say he was only 10 points worse than Duchene last season. Well that might be the case, but can you tell me the last time Zibby broke 60pts?? Oh yeah that's right it's never happened because last year was a career year. You can't compare a career year to a guys middle of the road year. You want to compare career years, fine we can do that but it wouldn't be pretty for Sens fans.

It was a 9 point difference two years and an 8 point difference last season. Those differences probably wouldn't make an impact in the standings at all, but losing a top-4 d-man will have a negative impact.

Zibanejad was 22 yo last season. How many 60 point seasons should he have?

Duchene has two 60+ point seasons in 7 years. Is Ottawa really supposed to deal two key young pieces and blow a lot of cap space on a guy who'll crack 60 points 30% of the time?

Make an offer that makes Ottawa better and it will be received favorably. This one clearly makes Ottawa worse now and in the future.

Lots of teams actually need 55-60 point centers, you should trade Duchene to them if he's on the block.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
For the rest of their games the two aren't close. I always hear Sens fans saying Duchene is only good for 10 more points than Z but where did this come from? From last season when Duchene had one of his worst statistical seasons while Zibanejad had a career year at 51 points? That's just dumb. You don't compare the highs of one players career to the lows of the other.

Careers:

Last 3 seasons combined:

Last season only:

So Please, fans of the Ottawa Senators stop saying that Matt Duchene is only 10 points better than Zibanejad. You're all very wrong when you say that.

A career comparison of the two players is more inaccurate than a comparison of last season because this is only Zibanejad's 4th season in the league, while Duchene has been in the NHL for 7 seasons now. How they compared in the 2015/16 season is also a far more accurate representation of how they will compare in future seasons than comparing numbers from many seasons ago when Zibanejad was just entering the league.

My point stands - going into his 8th season, Duchene is fully developed at this point and it is likely what you see is what you get with him. If you know anything about Zibanejad you'd know he was drafted as an extremely raw project player that was basically a collection of tools that needed refining. He's still very raw and shows flashes of a higher level but still needs to find consistency in his game. There is still more development to be had with Zibanejad. He'll continue to improve offensively and defensively. I don't think he'll ever produce at the level of Duchene, but he'll bring other assets to the table that will bridge the divide in offense to a certain degree.

I'm not even going to touch the rest of this, but as I've posted before, this myth needs to die. Let's deal with some actual facts about Zibanejad being a two way centre.

- Zibanejad got an utterly ridiculous 60+% of his starts in the offensive zone, 18th highest among all centre's who played over 30 games last year
- He faced similar competition to Duchene
- Played with top linemates (Ryan, Karlsson, Hoffman)
- Did not suppress shots against any better than Duchene
- Is far worse on faceoffs than Duchene (50% vs 57%)
- More goals against per 60 minutes than Duchene
- Nearly identical relative corsi

He had a superior raw corsi by a bit, but considering Duchene was on the worst possession team in the league, that's not surprise. I'm just curious to understand how the superior defensive player got top offensive linemates, more offensive zone starts, and somehow was on ice for more goals against per 60 minutes, and was on ice or a similar amount of shots against as well. Regarding offense,

Offensively, Zibanejad has a career high of 51 points, a threshold Duchene has surpassed five times in seven years - and one of those two seasons he did not was the lockout year, and in 47 games Duchene was only 8 points shy of beating 51 points again too. The other year he did not was the season in which he only played 58 games and played through injuries the entire year. If we extrapolate his lockout year, he has surpassed Zibanejad's career high in points 6 times in 7 years, and the one season he did not was when he was injured.

You bring up some good points. The offensive zone starts was something I didn't know about. Not sure why that number was so high. The other stats don't mean much though. Corsi, shot suppression, goals against - these are all team stats. Like the Avs, the Sens as a team gave up a ridiculous number of shots and goals per game. This had less to do with certain players and more to do with the overall system, team defense and goaltending.

If you watch Zibanejad you'll find he's very responsible defensively. Very rarely does he take risks offensively. He's always one of the first guys back and does not leave his man. He uses his big 6'2, 220lb frame, great reach, and his above-average skating ability to make an impact all over the ice. I think he's on the same level as a guy like Duchene defensively right now, but will be better in the future when his game matures. Have to remember Zibanejad is younger than Duchene and was considerably more raw than Duchene at the same age. He's not a finished project.

As for being a better fit on the Sens, I would disagree. The Senators need a better play making centre to work with Hoffman and/or Ryan, considering that Turris will likely not be paired with both of them at the same time.

Zibanejad isn't a puck distributing centre. He's more of a drive the net type of guy, or a player who sets up to hammer a one-timer from the off-wing. For players like Hoffman or Ryan to excel in their roles on the team, the Sens need a 2C (or a 1C depending on how you view Turris) who is better at distributing the puck. In this sense, I would say that Duchene is a much better fit for the Senators.

Granted, that does not factor in dollars and contracts. Because the cheaper player of the two is obviously the better fit in that regard.

Duchene is the better fit right now, but after drafting Brown we don't need to break the bank to acquire a #1 center. With proper development he'll be the big #1 center we have been looking for, Turris will be the #2 guy, and Zibanejad can dominate his competition as the 3rd line center.

I'm expecting Zib to get a Kadri-type contract as an upcoming RFA. Something between 4 and 5 million a season for 4+ years. That's very stomachable as a budget team. In comparison Duchene makes 6M the next 3 seasons, after which he is a UFA, and undoubtedly demand a big contract. Sens don't have the money to give him, Ryan, Turris, Stone and Hoffman 5-7M each. If the Sens were to swap Duchene for Zibanejad, we would probably only get 3 years out of Duchene before he walks as a UFA. I don't know about you but I'd take 5+ years of Zibanejad at 4M over 3 years of Duchene at 6M.

Has less to do with Duchene's value falling off and more to do with fans overrating the value of star players in general, as well as not knowing anything about Sens players or their value.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And keep in mind I never said Zibanejad is better than Duchene as a player. I don't believe that to be the case. I think their value is similar, given Zibanejad is younger, cheaper, bigger, arguably better defensively going forward, and a better fit for the young Senators than Duchene would be.

What I will say with absolute certainty is there's no way the difference between Zibanejad and Duchene is worth Ceci, a young top 4 RH blueliner. As the Hall trade showed, young and talented right-handed defensemen are worth their weight in gold. Ceci has tremendous value on his own, and shouldn't be traded under any circumstances by a team like the Senators who just finished at the bottom of the league in goals against.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
I'm not even going to touch the rest of this, but as I've posted before, this myth needs to die. Let's deal with some actual facts about Zibanejad being a two way centre.

- Zibanejad got an utterly ridiculous 60+% of his starts in the offensive zone, 18th highest among all centre's who played over 30 games last year
- He faced similar competition to Duchene
- Played with top linemates (Ryan, Karlsson, Hoffman)
- Did not suppress shots against any better than Duchene
- Is far worse on faceoffs than Duchene (50% vs 57%)
- More goals against per 60 minutes than Duchene
- Nearly identical relative corsi

He had a superior raw corsi by a bit, but considering Duchene was on the worst possession team in the league, that's not surprise. I'm just curious to understand how the superior defensive player got top offensive linemates, more offensive zone starts, and somehow was on ice for more goals against per 60 minutes, and was on ice or a similar amount of shots against as well. Regarding offense,

Offensively, Zibanejad has a career high of 51 points, a threshold Duchene has surpassed five times in seven years - and one of those two seasons he did not was the lockout year, and in 47 games Duchene was only 8 points shy of beating 51 points again too. The other year he did not was the season in which he only played 58 games and played through injuries the entire year. If we extrapolate his lockout year, he has surpassed Zibanejad's career high in points 6 times in 7 years, and the one season he did not was when he was injured.

The only people that believe Zibby is in anyway superior to Duchene are wrong. I think the majority of Sens fans know that Duchy is a huge step up from Zibby and that upgrade would be welcomed but the issue is that we'd have to add Ceci who is just too important & we just recently completed our top 4 so moving him just isn't an option.

Not so much that Duchene value has dropped but just that Ceci's value has skyrocketed with the acquisition of Phaneuf. His game was much stronger once he played with an NHL calibre D. Personally, I wouldn't even have moved Ceci in package for Hall. He's got very good #3 or good #2 potential written all over him. Add in that Zibby is already a good 2C, the risk of moving this potential hurts us too much and they will probably make less than 6M combined so it helps Uncle Eugenes pockets too.

Which will happen with the expansion draft.

Yes but at least with Ceci, he's younger and we can use the expansion draft to get out of a heavier contract (Methot/Phaneuf). Even though those players are great, Ceci is being protected along with Karlsson leaving one of Methot/Phaneuf exposed.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Zibby isn't better than Duchene defensively. He's projected to be and came out of the draft as a potential two way stud but he isn't that yet. It's like when people call Sean Monahan great defensively. He may be in the future, but he isn't very good yet. Saying either Duchene or Zibby are better than the other defensively is being a total homer of the team you cheer for.

Careers:

Last 3 seasons combined:

Last season only:

There's this thing called being the younger, more raw player and *gasp* developing over 3 seasons. The difference between Zibby and Duchene is not a top 4 RHD, who are clearly very valuable in this league.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs dont touch this.

Awful value. An average #2C and a middling 2nd pair Dman for a Top scoring #1 Center?

Ya, no thanks.

EDIT: Also people bringing up the age difference between the two players and all that garbage. Its 2 years of age difference and both players have been in the league for 5 or more years now.

Zibanejad is the player he is, he's not going to develop any further at this point given that we've now seen 3 straight seasons of similar production and play from him. He's a middling #2C and wont be anything more. Just like how Duchene is a middling #1C and we wont see anymore from him.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It's the same old, same old in this thread. We've beaten the Duchene to Ottawa proposal multiple times.

I hate to break it to you Sens fans you're over-rating your players. The Avs are not over-rating and have a 1C, that would be agreed by most of league and is playing on team Canada in the World Cup.

Saying Ceci is on the level with Larsson and Jones etc. where he could return a 1C or 1LW is absolutely laughable. Ceci is a solid top 4 dman, but on no planet would a GM give up a quality 1st liner in a 1 for 1 deal for him. Don't believe me go check out the hero charts. Stats don't lie both Jones and Larsson are better than Ceci by a decent amount. Even Trouba is significantly better advanced stats wise.

The fact is the Avs have a very valuable asset in Duchene that would be coveted by all other 29 teams in the league if he were to get traded. The Avs could do better than a 2C and #3-#4 dman return. They should be able to flip him at minimum in a 1 for 1 deal for a 1st pairing guy like Jones or Larsson which would be a better return than what has been offered here.

:laugh:
Stopped reading here. Maybe the rest of your post is fine, but seeing as your an Avs fan, it's not your place to say these kinds of things.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ceci is extremely underrated. Kid is solid and still has the potential to be a top pairing d-man. He's going to have a big year this one. 35-40 point season imo

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This has been beaten to death, no need for another Duchene to Ottawa thread. The Avs have made it clear he would only be moved for a significant upgrade at defence and Ceci as a centerpiece doesn't cut in in their minds. I think Avs fans (like Oilers fans) are really underrating Ceci, but that's irrelevant.

As an aside, I bet there's about a 0% chance that the Senators would even entertain moving Ceci at this point in time. This is a team that has struggled through defensive issues for 2+ seasons now and it finally looks like we have put a competent unit together. Add in the fact that we have almost nothing on the right side behind Karlsson/Ceci int he organization and it's clear they're building the defence around those two guys.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Avs dont touch this.

Awful value. An average #2C and a middling 2nd pair Dman for a Top scoring #1 Center?

Ya, no thanks.

EDIT: Also people bringing up the age difference between the two players and all that garbage. Its 2 years of age difference and both players have been in the league for 5 or more years now.

Zibanejad is the player he is, he's not going to develop any further at this point given that we've now seen 3 straight seasons of similar production and play from him. He's a middling #2C and wont be anything more. Just like how Duchene is a middling #1C and we wont see anymore from him.
You dont know how player growth works.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Typical eastern Canadian teams fans who have seen two Avalanche games since Duchene has been on the team and over valuing their own talent. The clichés in this thread are laughable. The only thing missing is people spelling his name wrong repeatedly. I guess at least many have finally learned that

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
big no from this sens fan. makes zeros sense for us.

saying that, i think the avs would say no as well. i believe the value is tilted pretty decently in their favour, but they don't make this trade because it makes zero sense for them as well. if they trade duchene, they would be looking for a defenseman better than ceci and most likely a one-for-one deal.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Typical eastern Canadian teams fans who have seen two Avalanche games since Duchene has been on the team and over valuing their own talent. The clichés in this thread are laughable. The only thing missing is people spelling his name wrong repeatedly. I guess at least many have finally learned that

Pretty funny that the guy complaining about clichés being used is using the old "eastern fans who haven't seen Duchene" routine. Lots of Sens fans have chimed in with valid reasons, and you're brining absolutely nothing to the table.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
avs decline. i cant see them moving duchene for two lesser peices

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Considering Adam Larsson can get you Taylor Hall, the difference between Ceci and Duchene is not a 50 point two-way Centre who just so happens to be 23 years old.

so because edmonton go fleeced ceci is now eqaul to duchene? :laugh:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I keep seeing "well if Hall can get you Larsson"... Just because you have one moronic GM that just gave away their 2nd best player for an average 1st pairing guy. Doesn't mean that is the market value for everything else going forward. All that proves is EDMs GM is absolute garbage.

EDM made a terrible trade. Especially when you consider the Jackets only had to give up Johansen to get Seth Jones. Hall is way better than Johansen and Jones is way better than Larsson.

And I love how Sens fans want to keep pushing the point that Zibby is fairly close to Duchene. He's not.
You can twist the stats however you want and they will always favor Duchene considerably.

You can compare their first 4 years points per game which is Zibanejad .48, .48, .57, .63 for an average of .54 or approximately 44 points per season in 82 games. Duchene's first 4 years .67, .83, .48, .91 for an average of .72 or 59 points per 82 game season. And the only reason the gap isn't bigger is because of Duchene's 3rd season where he played through a severe injury most of the season and was never right. Not to mention Duchene did all this at a younger age than Zibby as Duchene played in the NHL as an 18 year old. The fact is Duchene is a superior player to Zibby just accept that and move on Sen's fans.

You guys might be right that the difference between a middle pairing guy and Duchene isn't a decent 2nd line center. But the Avs aren't going to trade Duchene for anything short of a young first pairing guy which you don't have available. So basically I guess there is no deal to be had between these two teams.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

Wow, those 8-9 points per season really make a difference for you. To read this, you;d think that Jordan Staal was being offered for Sidney Crosby.

Zibanejad is the player he is, he's not going to develop any further at this point given that we've now seen 3 straight seasons of similar production and play from him. He's a middling #2C and wont be anything more.

20yo = 33 pts / 69 gp = 0.48
21yo = 46 pts / 80 gp = 0.58
22yo = 51 pts / 81 gp = 0.63

That looks like steady improvement and that doesn't satisfy his Sens fan detractors who think that he could do a lot more if he became more consistent.

IMO, he's a kid who has played on SEL men's teams and then the NHL starting at 18-19 and might have the belief that the older players are the leaders; he's just another guy. It'd be really something if he went into games with the belief that he's Mats Sundin and if he doesn't put the team on his back, they won't win.

Just like how Duchene is a middling #1C and we wont see anymore from him.

Middling? That's pretty generous. The stats seem to say that he'd be just about the worst 1st line center / best 2nd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad