Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We had the 2nd oldest team as of Jan 1st

Since then, we have gotten rid of Phaneuf and Thompson, and added Gaborik and O'Brien in their places. I believe we are still tone of the oldest/

It's within a year or so in the bottom half of the league, so it really doesn't make much difference.

We should be younger next season.

I know I won't be

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
In 2018:

Duchene: 31pts(32gp)
Turris: 12pts(29gp)

Duchene is already wearing an 'A' with Stone out.
Turris is on one of the best teams while Duchene is on one of the worst.
Turris is turning 29 this summer, and is going to get paid $6M until he's 35.
OUCH!

I ****ing called it. I love Turris, but that contract was bad, it's going to look Bobby Ryan levels bad in a few years. His speed is just barely good enough to be an effective player. Any drop in that speed, and he's going to be completely ineffective with that small frame.

The two players are being deployed differently. Turris is on the 2nd line (where he ideally should be) with 2nd line minutes, on a team jostling for playoff position. Duchene is playing loosey goosey on the first line on a team out of the playoffs and simply playing for pride.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
The two players are being deployed differently. Turris is on the 2nd line (where he ideally should be) with 2nd line minutes, on a team jostling for playoff position. Duchene is playing loosey goosey on the first line on a team out of the playoffs and simply playing for pride.
Fair enough, but that is not the scoring pace of a 2C.

Reactions: NB613

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I never understood this thinking.

Looking at your post above, who has more of a reason to play hard...?

I know I'm not more productive when I have nothing to work towards, no goals. Give me a goal or target and I'm all over it.

Reactions: NB613

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I never understood this thinking.

Looking at your post above, who has more of a reason to play hard...?

I know I'm not more productive when I have nothing to work towards, no goals. Give me a goal or target and I'm all over it.

Well, we've seen over the years the bottom-feeder teams that play fast and loose at the end of the year end up picking up some unexpected wins. It may not be the goal of winning a Cup, but being able to knock a rival out of the playoff race, or to end the season strong, or to hit goals/points milestones, are still goals the guys strive for.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Duchene has been playing the same way since we got him. He's formed chemistry now and the points are flooding in. This is not an example of a guy who is playing fast and loose, this is a guy who attacks the game at high gear for 60 minutes and with the right line mates everyone is getting points.

This is the best single player trade we have ever made in my opinion, and the best centre we have had since Spezza. I absolutely LOVE the way this guy plays, even over Spezz, it's the exact way I have wanted our squad to play for years.

It's crazy that we went a few seasons without a number one centre before PD just went out and got one. Other teams like MTL STILL can't fill that all important roster spot, and we got one of the few that came up on the market. THAT's why we paid a hefty price for him, because he's worth it, and guys like that don't come up very often, and our team used to be a team that NEVER got these guys. With PD you get a sense that we're in on every big player available (in like we're in on the talks).

I'd like us to keep EK & Ryan, but I'm pretty friggin excited about our team right now that we have key roster spots covered. Gus is looking like an awesome goalie prospect for us along with our youngsters coming up.

This is a key summer coming up, how can we not be excited! Once you tune out the noise we have always kept players we wanted, and paid big dollars for them, so I feel confident that if we want to keep EK we will get a deal done.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Duchene has been playing the same way since we got him. He's formed chemistry now and the points are flooding in. This is not an example of a guy who is playing fast and loose, this is a guy who attacks the game at high gear for 60 minutes and with the right line mates everyone is getting points.

This is the best single player trade we have ever made in my opinion, and the best centre we have had since Spezza. I absolutely LOVE the way this guy plays, even over Spezz, it's the exact way I have wanted our squad to play for years.

It's crazy that we went a few seasons without a number one centre before PD just went out and got one. Other teams like MTL STILL can't fill that all important roster spot, and we got one of the few that came up on the market. THAT's why we paid a hefty price for him, because he's worth it, and guys like that don't come up very often, and our team used to be a team that NEVER got these guys. With PD you get a sense that we're in on every big player available (in like we're in on the talks).

I'd like us to keep EK & Ryan, but I'm pretty friggin excited about our team right now that we have key roster spots covered. Gus is looking like an awesome goalie prospect for us along with our youngsters coming up.

This is a key summer coming up, how can we not be excited! Once you tune out the noise we have always kept players we wanted, and paid big dollars for them, so I feel confident that if we want to keep EK we will get a deal done.
I agree I still love the trade and respect the risk Dorion took. We need to get him signed though or we're f***ed.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Since coming to Ottawa Duchene has 37 points in 55 games, Turris has 34 points in 53 games for Nashville

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
What does that tell the players, the team and the fans? That the GM thinks we're going to be a bottom 5 team next year? Ouch. We have too much talent to finish bottom 5 next year, and if we actually do this, the players will have an extra chip on their shoulder. I think we draft this year no matter that.

I'm not really worried about the message it sends to the fans. That's up to the PR guys. The GM's responsibility is the maximize value.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pretty easy to justify giving up a lottery pick in terms of PR. Just remind fans that TBL missed the playoffs one season, and teams can win the lottery from 13 or 14.

Obviously, it's not the truth, but there's your Ottawa Sun propaganda talking point. "We intend to be competitive, but in the off chance we miss the playoffs as a result of the parity in this league, we can't justify not having our pick due to the current nature of the draft lottery. Also, one goal away from the cup final in 2017 thank you"

Oh yeah, they can also say "Mannnnn the 2019 draft is really strong....there are some guys in the bottom half of the first round we would have taken with that 7th overall pick this year. Also, Gabriel Gagne was like getting another top 20 pick"

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
If Dorion is foolish enough to trade Karlsson, Duchene is as good as gone too. I just hope we keep them both. Duchene is having a much better season than he has in the last while, and I think that is due to Karlsson and Hoffman.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
If Dorion is foolish enough to trade Karlsson, Duchene is as good as gone too. I just hope we keep them both. Duchene is having a much better season than he has in the last while, and I think that is due to Karlsson and Hoffman.
How good is Duchene when there are actually meaningful games on the line? Id like to see

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014

I've noticed that Duchene often carries the puck towards the net and then makes a shifty move to cut in close before roofing the puck into the webbing behind the crossbar. Not sure how he can get the puck up that high and at a steep angle, especially with the goalie at point blank range, but he sure is good at it!:nod:

He's a slick puck handler and can pivot on a dime; I really enjoy watching him play. Is there a stat that measures the amount of time that a puck is on a player's stick in the offensive zone? If so, he must be a leader in that category.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
In 2018 Duchene is a PPG player over 30+ games. Legitimate #1C material. For perspective, he's 12th in scoring by C's this year so far.

I don't think he's a PPG guy going forward, as we have seen this season how streaky he can be, but I think he should be a 60-70P guy for us going forward.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Very skilled player who looks like exactly what we needed/what Dorion ponied up for.

This run of his is very refreshing. Still, I’d like to see what he can do when there’s more pressure on the team. We’ll have to wait till next year for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad