Duchene/Sakic/proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
First off I just want to see what everyone on the flyers board thinks and feels about how Sakic has handled this whole situation. Don't forget the ROR situation also.

I can't believe it's taken this long for him to make a deal and for the sake of his team, make a deal and move on from this. Not to mention he has rumoured to have been offered some nice pieces.

Thoughts?

Also, what's everyone's trash for treasures proposal? I'd love Duchene to be our second center but I'm not ok with moving any prospects it would take to make it work.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think Sakic has proven to be an idiot. Friedman said that this most recent fallen-through trade wasn't him being unable to pull the trigger and something may still happen with Ottawa, but still - no way he should have let it get to this point. Such a smart, smart player, too, but an idiot GM.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I guess he is too scared to make the wrong deal, but the value of Duchene will (in the future) not become much higher (compared to months ago)..

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Dreger said something about 4 picks or 2 top prospects + 2 picks.

No thank you to all of that.

Flyers right now looks like they'll have Couts/Patrick/Vorobyov/Laughton down the middle very soon and for quite some time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sakic is a moron.

That being said..

Adding Duchene WOULD accelerate our path to contending BUT he only has 2 years left on his deal and then will want a big extension. I just think there is too many complicated variables to be in a position for us to trade for him.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
We do have 2 firsts this year so Id be open to trading one of them.

Itd be great if Sakic pisses off the other GMs interested and Hexy could swoop in with a fair offer that Sakic is forced to bite on.

Still think they could use another big piece up front.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We do have 2 firsts this year so Id be open to trading one of them.

Itd be great if Sakic pisses off the other GMs interested and Hexy could swoop in with a fair offer that Sakic is forced to bite on.

Still think they could use another big piece up front.

I would entertain trading one of those 1sts + for Duchene. You can then recoup that asset by moving Simmonds in the summer of 2018 or by moving Duchene at a later time if it looks like he wants too big of an extension.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't think Duchene is going to get the contract that some are speculating he'll get. I think you're looking at a 6 to 6.5 million a year deal for him, pretty similar to what he's currently getting paid. He's not an 48 million a year player, so that's completely off the table and I'm pretty certain his camp knows it. As well, we're looking at a high end number 2 guy. We know that Patrick will eventually be the top dog, so that leaves Duchene and Couturier for the number 3 role. Then there's guys like Vorobyev, Laughton, Rubtsov, Bunnaman, Frost, etc....all in the pipeline. If the Flyers acquire Duchene, that probably means giving up one of those guys, as well as a guy like Meyers or Freidman and a 1st to go along with them. On top of it, a roster player would need to be removed to take on the cap hit of Duchene. Honestly, just too rich for the guy.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Dreger said something about 4 picks or 2 top prospects + 2 picks.

No thank you to all of that.

Flyers right now looks like they'll have Couts/Patrick/Vorobyov/Laughton down the middle very soon and for quite some time.
None of them currently as good as Duchene.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you're trading for Duchene, you're expecting to extend him. You really can't afford to extend both Duchene and Simmonds without moving something else significant out.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think Duchene is going to get the contract that some are speculating he'll get. I think you're looking at a 6 to 6.5 million a year deal for him, pretty similar to what he's currently getting paid. He's not an 48 million a year player, so that's completely off the table and I'm pretty certain his camp knows it. As well, we're looking at a high end number 2 guy. We know that Patrick will eventually be the top dog, so that leaves Duchene and Couturier for the number 3 role. Then there's guys like Vorobyev, Laughton, Rubtsov, Bunnaman, Frost, etc....all in the pipeline. If the Flyers acquire Duchene, that probably means giving up one of those guys, as well as a guy like Meyers or Freidman and a 1st to go along with them. On top of it, a roster player would need to be removed to take on the cap hit of Duchene. Honestly, just too rich for the guy.

Duchene as a UFA will get paid more than Duchene did as an RFA.

He will get at least $7 million from someone if he makes it to UFA.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Weal-Duchene-Simmonds
Filpulla-Patrick-Konecny
Leier-Laughtom-Raffl

That is nice to look at. Hexy wont trade for him tho...not his style.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Duchene has 51 points in his last 90 games.

Couturier has 52 points in his last 81 games.

Reactions: Tripod

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Duchene as a UFA will get paid more than Duchene did as an RFA.

He will get at least $7 million from someone if he makes it to UFA.

Whoever gives Duchene $7 million a year is a fool. He's never been a point per game player in his career and only scored 30 goals once in his career. I suppose if a team is desperate and they lose a key guy (think the Islanders and Tavares), then I think he'll get 7, but even then, it's still about $1 million more than he's worth.

I wouldn't give him $7. I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't give him anything over $6.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Not suggesting in the least that Flyers trade major assets for him... but it must be pointed out that Filp will release $5M this Season and Lehtera another after next Season... Simmonds next Contract, around then, doesn't really have to preclude brining him in... and he would replace Filp presently... again not pushing for going after him, merely saying it could be worked in if Hexy decided to go that way.

EDIT: keeping in mind also Cap going the other way in such a Deal.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Whoever gives Duchene $7 million a year is a fool. He's never been a point per game player in his career and only scored 30 goals once in his career. I suppose if a team is desperate and they lose a key guy (think the Islanders and Tavares), then I think he'll get 7, but even then, it's still about $1 million more than he's worth.

I wouldn't give him $7. I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't give him anything over $6.
Ryan Johansen got 8 million and had 1 season over 63 points....71 points. Also only has 1 30 goal season.

That's the market his agent will be comparing him to.

FWIW, I would not trade for him as we have too many other holes. If you trade for him, you also have to trade for an experienced Dman and better goaltending too. You do all, or you do none.

Reactions: BillDineen

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Between Montreal, Rangers, Carolina, Islanders. Columbus and seemingly Ottawa there's a lot of teams desperate for top end center. Sakic might be no genius, but he has plenty of wiggle room to walk away with a haul.
We should just pounce on whomever feels like they missed and make a deal around Filps. We already traded Schenn in what most dub as transition season, no reason to hold on expiring UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad