Friedman: Duchene & Landy available - Avs want D, won't sell cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Sanheim+Schenn for Landeskog.

I just want to know what do you think about this Avs fans. Would you do this? I know other Flyers fans will probably 'hate' it.

No I would absolutely not do it. Other Avs fans might feel differently.

Don't get me wrong. The value is decent. Maybe even good.

But I don't like Sanheim enough to make that trade. Schenn is a nice piece but the main incentive of any trade IMO has to be the dman coming back.
Friedman also is basically saying it.
The main thing Avs have to look at in almost every proposal is the Dman or D prospect coming our way and that is where the value should be in every proposal. Not in the replacement forward coming with it.

That decides if this deal makes sense for the Avs or not.

And I am not sold enough on Sanheim to sacrifice our best (by quite a lot) two-way forward for him.

@ Oscar Lindberg:

This is not NHL 2017. You can't just ice players 22 and under.
25 is still young enough to keep around for a rebuild.

Especially Landeskog is beyond valuable to any rebuilding team and IMO should absolutely be kept barring a crazy offer. Same goes to a lesser extent for EJ on the blueline.
He is a great two-way player that can take the burden off of the next generation and play those tough minutes and that is very important for their development.

He IMO is one of the best pieces you can have for a rebuild.
Makes no sense to trade him.

Barrie, Varlamov and Duchene being traded makes sense for the right return. But only for the right return. If not than keep them as well.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This is where you have to make a move MB, gotta give up Sergachev+ for either of them but it has to be done.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
No I would absolutely not do it. Other Avs fans might feel differently.

Don't get me wrong. The value is decent. Maybe even good.

But I don't like Sanheim enough to make that trade. Schenn is a nice piece but the main incentive of any trade IMO has to be the dman coming back.
Friedman also is basically saying it.
The main thing Avs have to look at in almost every proposal is the Dman or D prospect coming our way and that is where the value should be in every proposal. Not in the replacement forward coming with it.

That decides if this deal makes sense for the Avs or not.

And I am not sold enough on Sanheim to sacrifice our best (by quite a lot) two-way forward for him.

Alright, thanks for your opinion.

I've been saying it's going to take a blue chip prospect + young NHL player, one being a defenseman.

Seems like Sanheim+Schenn fit these requirements just fine, no? For Landeskog

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Especially Landeskog is beyond valuable to any rebuilding team and IMO should absolutely be kept barring a crazy offer. Same goes to a lesser extent for EJ on the blueline.

He IMO is one of the best pieces you can have for a rebuild.
Makes no sense to trade him.

Barrie, Varlamov and Duchene being traded makes sense for the right return. But only for the right return. If not than keep them as well.

Rule number one of any rebuild - everybody needs to be available if the price is right. If someone offers a great package for any of the Avs players at this point management has to consider each and every one.

Rebuilding teams do need veteran leadership but that's what free agency and waivers are for. It's also why the Avs should be requesting "rosta-filla" type players from teams trading for key players. If I was Sakic I'd be looking at packages including roster players, prospects and high picks. And I wouldn't be focused entirely on having D coming back in trades. If a team makes a huge offer for a key player and it doesn't include the defensive component the Avs feel they need they should still consider it anyway.

My hunch is that the Avs are going to need a few seasons to get this back together and if they need players for a certain position they can draft and develop them.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I just can't imagine Carolina has any desire to turn loose of any of their big 4 on D currently in the NHL (Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin). Duchene is a fine player, but aside from the positional value difference of trading a d-man for a forward, they also would be taking on a lot of extra salary.

If the Avs really want to rebuild, I think quantity should be their interest as well. Nobody wants to give away established players for question marks, but a rebuild has to start somewhere, and if you can get like 3 guys you're relatively sure will be NHL players in a couple years, plus clear a big salary, that's a good choice. But you have to be at a point where you're totally committed.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Stole this text transcription from Avs forum section.

Friedman:

What colorado has apparently told people is don’t ask about Nathan MacKinnon, don’t ask about Mikko Rantanen, who was their #1 pick last year. Now if you’re asking about a Duchene or Landeskog, and from what I understand teams have been told; look, we’re not giving these guys away because we’re panicking, if you want to come at us with young defensmen, good young defensmen or good young defensive prospects, we are prepared to listen, but the packages will have to be big because they see Duchene and Landeskog as good players signed to good contracts. I think Colorado is only going to do it if we look at the trade and say, “ah, I understand why they would do it."

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/headlines-subban-might-herniated-disc/

As an Avs fan I really like the sound of that quote. Decent offers are welcomed, no panic moves. Don't bother with scraps anymore, thank you :)

I'd personally look for players like Hanifin, Slavin, Lindholm, Fowler and Hamonic etc. as the bases of possible deals. Trading for RHD is not a problem for most Avs fans, as that would give us the possibility to trade Barrie or make him play LD. So don't worry about it.

Example trade: Juulsen+Beaulieu+1st?

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
Offer from MTL

Plekanec-DD ( for cap purpose and fill jerseys the rest of the season )
Sergachev-Beaulieu-McCarron-Hudon-1 pick 2017- 1 pick 2018 ( talk about good prospects for rebuild)

for

Duchene-Landeskog

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Rule number one of any rebuild - everybody needs to be available if the price is right. If someone offers a great package for any of the Avs players at this point management has to consider each and every one.

Rebuilding teams do need veteran leadership but that's what free agency and waivers are for. It's also why the Avs should be requesting "rosta-filla" type players from teams trading for key players. If I was Sakic I'd be looking at packages including roster players, prospects and high picks.

Of course HF Boards poster think that Sakic should be trading everyone, particularly for bargain basement prices. That is the way it always is around here.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Offer from MTL

Plekanec-DD ( for cap purpose and fill jerseys the rest of the season )
Sergachev-Beaulieu-McCarron-Hudon-1 pick 2017- 1 pick 2018 ( talk about good prospects for rebuild)

for

Duchene-Landeskog

Pretty bad, they would want at least 1 young NHL player who would have an immediate impact for them, look at Gallagher for example.

Sergachev+Gallagher++

for Landeskog, Duchene

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Of course HF Boards poster think that Sakic should be trading everyone, particularly for bargain basement prices. That is the way it always is around here.

I didn't say bargain basement prices. I said "if the price is right". I also said the offers should be significant.

There's no sense rebuilding a team if you're going to get crap back from the other teams.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Example trade: Juulsen+Beaulieu+1st?

Needs Sergachev.

Rebuilding teams do need veteran leadership but that's what free agency and waivers are for. It's also why the Avs should be requesting "rosta-filla" type players from teams trading for key players. If I was Sakic I'd be looking at packages including roster players, prospects and high picks. And I wouldn't be focused entirely on having D coming back in trades. If a team makes a huge offer for a key player and it doesn't include the defensive component the Avs feel they need they should still consider it anyway.

Don't think they are going for the full nuke and we already have a team full of roster filler right now.

Alright, thanks for your opinion.

Seems like Sanheim+Schenn fit these requirements just fine, no? For Landeskog

Not high end enough, Couturier might get their interest

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Landeskog for Lindholm. Duchene+Barrie for Parayko+Fabbri+Cap dump

Lindholm-Parayko
Zadorov-Johnson

Pretty good

Fabbri-Mackinnon-Rantanen

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
Pretty bad, they would want at least 1 young NHL player who would have an immediate impact for them, look at Gallagher for example.

Sergachev+Gallagher++

for Landeskog, Duchene

Gallagher is available for those kind of players for sure

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
disagree. While Ghost is Dynamic, Flyers need a LW badly or a TRUE 2nd line C.

With our pipeline of D I'd take this gamble to help with our 5v5 scoring woes and help up front. While Ghost will produce, the thought of having a Landy on Girouxs wing is more appealing to me.

That's a crazy risk. You can have a dozen great young D in the pipeline, and yet still only have 1 or 2 who turn into legit top 4 defensemen in the NHL.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Sergachev+Gallagher++

for Landeskog, Duchene

I'm fine with letting Gallagher go if both Landeskog and duchene are coming back.

Sergachev, McCarron, Gallagher, Plekanec, DD, 2017 1st, 2017 2nd, 2018 1st

Landeskog, Duchene.

Obviously DD and Plekanec and there for cap purposes only

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's also going to be one or the other, not both and I highly, highly doubt both are going to go in one package. Landeskog is on one of the league's best contracts for the next 4 years, there's absolutely no reason why they have to move him unless the offer is substantial. The Avs have never been a team who cares much for picks and prospects, doubt that starts now. They just need to make a move to show their fanbase and the media that they are making a change and bringing a defensemen in.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I'm fine with letting Gallagher go if both Landeskog and duchene are coming back.

Sergachev, McCarron, Gallagher, Plekanec, DD, 2017 1st, 2017 2nd, 2018 1st

Landeskog, Duchene.

Obviously DD and Plekanec and there for cap purposes only

Colorado is not going to trade BOTH Landeskog and Duchene for that kind of return. It is not enough for both. Colorado would get better returns if they traded them separately.

Some Montreal fans are taking this thread off the rails IMO.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Something around Ekblad.

While I can't see moving Ekblad as plausible this early, my opening salvo would be

Duchene + Barrie ($11.5m) for Ekblad + Bjugstad ($11.6m) with the Avs willing to add a mid pick/prospect if pressured

Basically each team upgrades at 1 position while downgrading at another while changing the style of play at each as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad