Friedman: Duchene/Landeskog for Top-pairing Defenceman in Offseason

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The Avs shopped Duchene last year. I get the impression they are not that high on him. He is continually in trade rumours every year.

No, he's not. The first time his name was ever mentioned in a trade rumor was last year, so that is not "every year," despite your hyperbole, and your impression is completely wrong. Nice try.

Have another beer.

Oh, I think it's a bit more than that.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Landeskog for Edler and Subban. Sign it. Stamp it.

No, the Avs do not have a pressing need for a 30 year old. The team is second last, they are borderline needing another rebuild. Stop it with the proposals and shut it down for the night.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
No, the Avs do not have a pressing need for a 30 year old. The team is second last, they are borderline needing another rebuild. Stop it with the proposals and shut it down for the night.

Ok, Tanev for Landeskog. That's more than fair.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really don't see many teams moving a true top #1 guy for either Landeskog or Duchene. I think you're looking more at a project at those guys who has seen some capable minutes (a la Larsson-Hall trade).

the problems in Denver run much deeper than missing one top pairing guy.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
I think a lot of us have already agreed to Sergachev + 1st as base for Duchene, with a cap dump like DD. The Salary does not quite work with just DD though I think.

I think one version of it was expanded to include Soderberg & Pleks to make the salary work.

Oh. Ok, sorry for bringing it up again. Nice to know I finally got one in the ballpark with the Avs...:) Cheers. :cheers::cheers:

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado

Here's a way to look at it..

The Avs essentially have been rebuilding since 2013 when they drafted MacKinnon. After Duchene and Landy were drafted they tried to compete (and failed) by adding aging vets (Stuart, Giguere, Beauchemin, Iginla) that they felt would help bring them into the playoffs. This clearly failed. Since MacKinnon was drafted they've been retooling how they draft and have adding quality prospects that have been needed.

I think Roy wanted to trade Duchene and Barrie as they aren't big physical players and he wanted to make room for Radulov. It's pretty clear that the Boedker trade was heavily influenced by Roy as he was trying to make the playoffs and felt the team should be a contender right then and there.

Sakic has come out and said that he's not making any rash decisions. The Avs are still rebuilding. We're gonna see them dump McLeod, Beauchemin, and Iggy after this season it looks like. We'll see guys like Bigras, Compher, and Greer make the team most likely. There's also Will Butcher who is impressive and could make the team as well as Jost.

If you approach it with the mindset that the Avs tried to pull a Calgary/Toronto by surrounding high draft picks with vets and failing to get that final seed and have to rightfully abolished that plan, a true rebuild started with MacKinnon.

Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, and Rantanen, and soon Jost as well are the forward core of the Avs. They'll be built around. Duchene is only 25 (soon to be 26). The team doesn't need to wipe it clean and start over. Sakic is a good GM and is doing the right thing.

JerseyJoe

Feb 26, 2012
Some where in Jersey
I try not to do blockbusters, but, an idea.

Duchene OR Landeskog
Barrie

For

Faulk
Lindholm

Reasoning: Don't know who the Canes would want, so that's why there is an "OR". Either way, Carolina gets a top wing, or center depth which allows match-up problems with the Canes having Staal.

The Canes also get a top offensive defenseman in Barrie. With how the defense in Carolina plays, they will well insulate Barrie's mediocre defense.

The Avs get that #1 dman they want. Even him being a RHD lets them slide Johnson to the 2nd pair. The Avs have good players coming up on the left side defense.

They also get a solid young centerman who's a solid defensive center, capable of around 40-50 points a year IMO.

It sounded ok to me at least as a base.

This would work real well for the islanders
they get Duchene & Barrie
Avs get Hamonic & Bailey + 2nd Rd 2017

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This would work real well for the islanders
they get Duchene & Barrie
Avs get Hamonic & Bailey + 2nd Rd 2017

Yeah cause it is terrible for the Avs.

Would not trade Duchene for Hamonic.
And certainly would not trade Barrie for Bailey and a 2nd.

It is horrible for the Avs.

Also Duchene/Landeskog + Barrie for Faulk + Lindholm is not a good deal for the Avs.
Not at all. Although it basically depends on how you value Lindholm.
But I very much dislike it personally.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Trouba is willing to commit long term with Colorado, Then a Duchene for Trouba swap makes sense.

Duch is a good player, but he has had some difficulties finding line mates with chemistry. Plus he has only 2.5 years left before Ufa on his contract.

Personally I would much sooner have Landy of the two. Landy is signed for 4.5 more years and brings much more grit and character IMO with very similar production.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Duch is a good player, but he has had some difficulties finding line mates with chemistry. Plus he has only 2.5 years left before Ufa on his contract.

Personally I would much sooner have Landy of the two. Landy is signed for 4.5 more years and brings much more grit and character IMO with very similar production.

Point well taken. Jets sure are lacking character lately.

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Matt Duchene- $6
Jarome Iginla- $5.5

Alex Pietrangelo $6.5
Jori Lehtera $4.7
Ty Rattie $650,000

Blues Resign Shatty to 5yr 32.5 million dollar deal- starting next season when Iginla's contract is up

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Matt Duchene- $6
Jarome Iginla- $5.5

Alex Pietrangelo $6.5
Jori Lehtera $4.7
Ty Rattie $650,000

Blues Resign Shatty to 5yr 32.5 million dollar deal- starting next season when Iginla's contract is up

As bad as that Lehtera contract is, I highly doubt that the Avs could turn this down.

It would suck for EJ to get bumped down by Pietrangelo again but I highly doubt the Avs will ever get a better offer for Duchene than Pietro.

So yeah.
Sign me up.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

What difficulty has Duchene had finding chemistry, exactly?

In his first two seasons, he played well with Hejduk, then Father Time unfortunately caught up with Hejduk.

He played really well with Mueller, then Mueller unfortunately had a career altering concussion 15 games after joining the team.

He played really well with Fleischmann, then Fleischmann unfortunately developed career altering blood clots 22 games after joining the team.

He scored 43 points in 47 games with PA Parenteau as his primary linemate, then the Avs changed coaches and PAP unfortunately didn't meld with the new system.

He scored 70 pts in 70 games + 30 seconds with ROR as his primary linemate, and then ROR unfortunately had contract issues that predicated his trade.

He did struggle a bit when his primary linemates were Jarome Iginla's corpse and the ghost of Alex Tanguay, but still scored 55 points, just 4 shy of the team lead.

He just scored 30 goals, and what is essentially 60 pts (59 in 76 gmes), with Nathan MacKinnon as his most common linemate (but still under 50% of his shifts).

And none of that is even taking his international play into account, where he's played with pretty much everyone Team Canada has put him with and done very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad