Friedman: Duchene/Landeskog for Top-pairing Defenceman in Offseason

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just came out earlier today in Friedman's 30 thoughts. There were some rumours before the draft that Ducks and Avs talked about a Lindholm/Landeskog swap, while Trouba has been rumoured around the Avs lately. We can also perhaps include Hamonic as one of them since Avs and Islanders have been scouting each team lately.

Avs did tell clubs that because Landeskog and Duchene are signed for great cap friendly deals, it should increase their trade value. Whatever the case is, sounds like these types of moves are extremely hard to conduct during the season. If Avs do finish in the bottom third again, we might legitimately see a trade of this calibre in the offseason.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The AVS aren't competing anytime soon and Hamonic doesn't make sense at all. He's way too old. Trouba is as old as I'd go, ideally Hanifin or Sergachev.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If Trouba is sticking to his guns and won't sign here long term I think Landeskog is a strong offer. Would be tough to beat.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Trouba is sticking to his guns and won't sign here long term I think Landeskog is a strong offer. Would be tough to beat.

No chance the Avs trade their ONLY proven top 6 winger and their captain for a guy who would be 3rd on the RHD depth chart.

Avs need forwards, not D.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
No chance the Avs trade their ONLY proven top 6 winger and their captain for a guy who would be 3rd on the RHD depth chart.

Avs need forwards, not D.

I take Trouba over every Avs defenseman without thinking twice, thats coming from a neutral Columbus fan.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Duchene and something small for Hanifin, please.

Pretty sure Duchene has more value than Hanifin. Duchene is a 1C. Hanifin is currently a top 4D with 1D potential. You know what you're getting with Duchene, whereas Hanifin is a mystery box that could contain something great or not.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not according to Friedman :dunno:

Friedman has been clinging onto the rumors that Roy flooded the hockeyverse with even though the Avs are back to their silent ways again since Roy left. Theres been absolutely nothing new reported trade wise on the Avs since Roy has been in the organization other than the one Sakic quote from Frei last week where Sakic said they're not making any moves right now.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I try not to do blockbusters, but, an idea.

Duchene OR Landeskog
Barrie

For

Faulk
Lindholm

Reasoning: Don't know who the Canes would want, so that's why there is an "OR". Either way, Carolina gets a top wing, or center depth which allows match-up problems with the Canes having Staal.

The Canes also get a top offensive defenseman in Barrie. With how the defense in Carolina plays, they will well insulate Barrie's mediocre defense.

The Avs get that #1 dman they want. Even him being a RHD lets them slide Johnson to the 2nd pair. The Avs have good players coming up on the left side defense.

They also get a solid young centerman who's a solid defensive center, capable of around 40-50 points a year IMO.

It sounded ok to me at least as a base.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Pretty sure Duchene has more value than Hanifin. Duchene is a 1C. Hanifin is currently a top 4D with 1D potential. You know what you're getting with Duchene, whereas Hanifin is a mystery box that could contain something great or not.

Value is subjective some teams would value Hanifin higher being on his ELC with many cost controlled years while Duchene is UFA after 2 seasons. A win now team with cap space would take Duchene otherwise would take Hanifin. Hanifin is in his 2nd season he isn't a mystery box. You know he is a NHL quality defenseman at the very least a mystery box doesn't have such assurance.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Duchene OR Landeskog
Barrie

For

Faulk
Lindholm

Reasoning: Don't know who the Canes would want, so that's why there is an "OR". Either way, Carolina gets a top wing, or center depth which allows match-up problems with the Canes having Staal.

The Canes also get a top offensive defenseman in Barrie. With how the defense in Carolina plays, they will well insulate Barrie's mediocre defense.

The Avs get that #1 dman they want. Even him being a RHD lets them slide Johnson to the 2nd pair. The Avs have good players coming up on the left side defense.

They also get a solid young centerman who's a solid defensive center, capable of around 40-50 points a year IMO.

The upgrade from Barrie to Faulk doesn't make up for the difference between Lindolm and Duchene IMO.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Duchene OR Landeskog
Barrie

For

Faulk
Lindholm

Not a great deal for Colorado. Even if Colorado had Faulk he would not play #1 minutes. EJ would still be their shutdown guy because he's better at that than Faulk. Faulk would basically play Barrie's minutes and even though Faulk is significantly better the difference isn't enough to downgrade from Duchene to Lindholm.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Tanev and 2018 2nd for Landeskog is DRULE WORTHY

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Not a great deal for Colorado. Even if Colorado had Faulk he would not play #1 minutes. EJ would still be their shutdown guy because he's better at that than Faulk. Faulk would basically play Barrie's minutes and even though Faulk is significantly better the difference isn't enough to downgrade from Duchene to Lindholm.

The upgrade from Barrie to Faulk doesn't make up for the difference between Lindolm and Duchene IMO.

Sincerely, thank you for the responses.

Could Carolina add something reasonable to make it work?

(I agree that I undersold the package to Colorado, just wanted to test the waters)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

(I agree that I undersold the package to Colorado, just wanted to test the waters)

I don't think Colorado would be looking for a simple "shakeup" trade. I think if they trade a guy like Duchene it's for a package of young top prospects or straight up for one great player of another position. From Carolina Hanifin makes sense for the Avs but Hurricanes fans don't seem too thrilled about that idea.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI

I'm not sure if it could work because the value of Duchene and Barrie is just too much. I think the canes will just do a 1 for 1 trade if any.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Title should be changed. It makes it sounds like this is something the Avs are going to do this upcoming off-season. This is Friedman talking about the past, and what the Avs wanted to do when Roy was here, when Radulov looked like he might be coming here due to Roy, and when two top defensmen were unsigned. The 30 thoughts was Friedman talking about last off-season, and the OP is adding their own speculation and talking about what the Avs might do this upcoming year - not Friedman.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I can't see the Avs/Jets making any trade of significant pieces on both sides.

For the record, I like both of the Avs players but I were to trade for one.....it would be Landeskog.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad