Proposal: Duchene/Landeskog/2017 1st for #1 dman + depth

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
From Colorado:

Matt Duchene ($6M. UFA 19-20)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571M. UFA 21-22)
2017 1st Rd Pick (Likely 1-3 overall as of right now). Would prefer not to trade this obvious, but on the table to really get the discussion going.

for

Legit #1 Defenseman and potentially more to obtain the 2017 Pick.

I know most fans will say x is untouchable, but I am aiming for something like Karlsson, Doughty, Ekblad, Burns, Vlasic, Hedman, Keith, Subban, Josi, Pietro, Suter, Ghost etc... and in some cases those teams even add.

Complete blow up of the Avs and build around MacKinnon, Ratanen, Johnson, and their newly acquired D talent

Avs44

May 16, 2011
This is ridiculous. Nobody offers Duchene, Landeskog, and a top three pick, and nobody is trading a player worthy of that package.

Also, did you just put Ghost as a legitimate #1 defensman alongside Doughty and Hedman and the like? :laugh:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
From Colorado:

2017 1st Rd Pick (Likely 1-3 overall as of right now). Would prefer not to trade this obvious, but on the table to really get the discussion going.

for

I know most fans will say x is untouchable, but I am aiming for something like Karlsson, Doughty, Ekblad, Burns, Vlasic, Hedman, Keith, Subban, Josi, Pietro, Suter, Ghost etc... and in some cases those teams even add.

Complete blow up of the Avs and build around MacKinnon, Ratanen, Johnson, and their newly acquired D talent

Ghost seems the only realistic target. Doughty wouldn't move for all 3 of those pieces combined.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
What in the name of....

What?

1C, 1LW and extremely high draft pick, most likely a high caliber cost controlled asset for years to come for 1 player?

Bobby Orr, where are you?

Weast

May 16, 2011
Yeah trading Duchene and Landeskog separately would get a better return, and I don't think trading the 1st rounder is a good idea

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Avs would get more by splitting up those three assets, and trading them separately.

I'm assuming he was stating 1 for 1 which isn't remotely close.

Edit oh he was meaning all 3. That's horrible for most those defenceman. Ghost, Vlasic really?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
You can offer the sun and the moon for a number one defenseman, but the reason they don't get traded is because there are so few of them. Does acquiring two great forwards get you anywhere if you lose your defensive anchor? The answer is no.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Obviously no one reads the whole OP.

For example:

Duchene, Landeskog

for

Karlsson

If that doesnt get it done, Avs consider throwing in the 1st Overall pick for another example:

Duchene, Landeskog, 1st Pick

for

Karlsson, OTT 2017 1st, + ?

There are few players in the league that are worth Landeskog, Duchene, and the 1-3 overall in any draft, but if they are out there, who are they and would it worth considering from either side?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
From Colorado:

for

I don't think there's a defenseman on the planet that is "untouchable" when a 25 year old top 15-20 Centre, 24 year old top 10 LW'er and a Top 3 Draft Pick is on the table.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
You can offer the sun and the moon for a number one defenseman, but the reason they don't get traded is because there are so few of them. Does acquiring two great forwards get you anywhere if you lose your defensive anchor? The answer is no.

lol

for duchene, landeskog and most likely top-3 pick? get out of here..

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

For example:

Duchene, Landeskog

for

Karlsson

If that doesnt get it done, Avs consider throwing in the 1st Overall pick for another example:

for

There are few players in the league that are worth Landeskog, Duchene, and the 1-3 overall in any draft, but if they are out there, who are they and would it worth considering from either side?

But why would Ottawa do that?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

For example:

Duchene, Landeskog

for

Karlsson

for

Ottawa doesn't do either of these. They will wind up spending the next decade looking for the next franchise defenseman unless they get really lucky in the draft. Colorado isn't dealing all of those assets in one package either.
I know that you're just gauging value but these proposals are completely unrealistic.

The only situations where I can see a legit #1 Dman being dealt is if the team is stacked with high end Dmen to offset the loss (St. Louis with Pietrangelo for example), the Dman requests a trade for whatever reason or you have a #1 Dman to deal for the other #1 Dman in a change of scenery move (PK/Weber). Otherwise, you're not getting a #1 Dman.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
OP. Avs problem is depth and you want to ship out two out of the four top six forwards the team has?

? MacKinnon Rantanen
? ? ?
? Söderberg Comeau

West will tremble.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nobody is going to move that type of #1D period. Doesn't matter what the offer is. The hardest position in hockey to fill is a #1D, and getting a truly elite guy like Doughty, Karlsson, Hedman OEL, etc. is even more of a challenge to find.

That package doesn't get the Avs a Doughty/Karlsson/Hedman type of truly elite #1D. And the others are either too old(Keith, Suter, Burns) or not good enough to trade those pieces(Pietro, Ghost, Vlasic).

If the Avs want a true #1D they really have only two ways of getting him. Draft one ourselves. Or trade for a very young Dman with very high potential and hope they become a elite #1. Such as Werenski, Provorov, Ristolainen, Jones.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Nobody is going to move that type of #1D period. Doesn't matter what the offer is. The hardest position in hockey to fill is a #1D, and getting a truly elite guy like Doughty, Karlsson, Hedman OEL, etc. is even more of a challenge to find.

That package doesn't get the Avs a Doughty/Karlsson/Hedman type of truly elite #1D. And the others are either too old(Keith, Suter, Burns) or not good enough to trade those pieces(Pietro, Ghost, Vlasic).

If the Avs want a true #1D they really have only two ways of getting him. Draft one ourselves. Or trade for a very young Dman with very high potential and hope they become a elite #1. Such as Werenski, Provorov, Ristolainen, Jones.

They can trade for one like they did with EJ. (Parayko comes to mind)

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Ghost??? The guy can't even defend. He's like Barrie 2.0. I wouldn't trade Duchane alone for him. I don't think teams will trade their numbet 1 unless they get a defencemen back. Colorado is better off keeping that pick and draft a defencemen.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
If Hanafin became a stud I could see Carolina doing that with their back end depth but he isn't worth anywhere near that.

Let's assume risto was there and sabres roster was the same as it is now I couldn't do it just based on the fact we have no depth back there and their cap hits combined are large.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That makes so little sense it is not even funny.

The day after this trade is made, you should start a thread of "acquired #1D named X" to any team for a rebuilding package. At least if he is over 25.

Because after you trade all that for one piece, it will take a long ass time before the can build a contender out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad