Proposal: Duchene for Trouba, Little for younger RHD

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IF Trouba will not resign, I'd restructure the trade like this..

Trouba
Copp
4th

for

Matt Duchene
Zadorov
2nd (conditional: turns into 1st if Trouba signs long term w/avs)

The value starts to look reasonable if you just make it the 1st - no lottery protection either. If Avs aren't confident of signing him they shouldn't make the deal. Without the 1st, neither should we. We could trade him elsewhere for more, without conditions.

I still think we could do better but the expected strength of the '18 draft would make this worth considering.

Imagine having

Scheifele
Little
Duchene

Down the middle

That would be too much $$$ and cap at C. Duchene is a UFA in 2 years. He is going to get at least 6.5 M. - to play 3C?

We would have to immediately trade one of Little/Duchene. Trade Little and Duchene leaves for UFA. ******! So ..... which RHD do we trade Duchene for?

BTW, what are we going to do with Zadorov? 3rd pair RD?

The list of things wrong with this concept just grows the more you think about it.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The value starts to look reasonable if you just make it the 1st - no lottery protection either. If Avs aren't confident of signing him they shouldn't make the deal. Without the 1st, neither should we. We could trade him elsewhere for more, without conditions.

I still think we could do better but the expected strength of the '18 draft would make this worth considering.

That would be too much $$$ and cap at C. Duchene is a UFA in 2 years. He is going to get at least 6.5 M. - to play 3C?

We would have to immediately trade one of Little/Duchene. Trade Little and Duchene leaves for UFA. ******! So ..... which RHD do we trade Duchene for?

The list of things wrong with this concept just grows the more you think about it.

Trouba's future 8 million is compensation

Doesn't jordan staal get money like that?

No other team besides Pittsburgh could compete with 3 centres like that

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
There are six teams that are, in my mind, absolutely blacklisted in a trade involving Jacob Trouba:

• Chicago
  • Dallas
  • Minnesota
  • Nashville
  • St. Louis
  • Colorado

In my mind, if Trouba gets traded, I want no part of him being in our division. For my part, sending him to the Eastern Conference is the second best case scenario besides having him play here for another 12 years.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

Trouba's a top tier D man, but your idea of his return above is just unrealistic. I would be estatic if that's what he returned. a #1 A/B C, young top 4 D and what's likely to be a high loto 1st. Unless that was the point of your post, to be unrealistic?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Trouba doesn't want to sign, there would be much better deals than Duchene and a bunch of scraps for him.

And then including Little in this proposed deal along with Trouba is getting silly, imo, unless you are getting a much bigger return than Duchene and Zadorov and a pick.

Why would be bring on a $6 mill/yr Duchene with only a couple of years on his deal. Makes very little sense for the Jets.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Btw I don't actually think it's a good deal
I'm just entertaining the idea of having 3 centres of that calibre

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba's a top tier D man, but your idea of his return above is just unrealistic. I would be estatic if that's what he returned. a #1 A/B C, young top 4 D and what's likely to be a high loto 1st. Unless that was the point of your post, to be unrealistic?

I think Zadorov is being way overrated in this thread. Way overrated. And he is a lefty which doesn't replace Trouba. Duchene is very good but he is only under control for 2 years. Another top 6 C would be nice to have but doesn't replace Trouba. Avs have apparently been demanding more for him than anyone is willing to give. There is no good basis for a trade here. It takes that high lottery pick to make this suggestion palatable.

It isn't as clear cut now as it was before Kulikov was signed but the return for Trouba still needs to emphasize RHD to some extent.

Myers is still a ?. Buff is still Buff and isn't getting younger. The same goes for Enstrom on the left side. And how good is Kulikov going to be? If we get good rebounds from all of them our D is pretty good even without Trouba but that is a lot of ifs. I don't see Zadorov as a fix to those possible problems. He would be #4 on the left side so he would have to play behind Buff and Myers on the right and he may not be any better than Poolman will turn out to be, or not much better. If Toby walks after this year it might be a toss-up between Zadorov and Kulikov for 2nd and 3rd pair left side but by then maybe Niku is ready.

So we get 2 NHL players that don't exactly fit our needs and that certainly don't replace Trouba. We need that 1st to try for a Trouba replacement. Even if that pick is still high after the lottery and the player we get is a RHD, he won't equal Trouba for a several years if ever.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Imagine having

Scheifele
Little
Duchene

Down the middle

That's not going to work.

They already have Scheifele, Little, Lowry, Roslovic with Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler, Connor on W.
Offense is not(should not) be a problem for Jets.

It's the defensive game that's still a mystery and Trouba is the best D-man on that roster.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the Avs want Trouba, the talks start at MacKinnon not Duchene.
Scheif, MacKinnon, Little and Lowry look nice.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Winnipeg passes. Duchene isn't an immediate addition over Little. Getting Trouba too? Never.

Counter:

Little, Petan, Dano, Poolman

Duchene, Compher

Flame away but at least the Jets don't hang up the phone.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

We wouldn't have the cash in the future and why trade a No.1 D... If I where to trade Trouba to the ABS it would go something like this...

Trouba, 1st for Duchene, Zadorov and a 1st - This way we get a chance at a Top 5 in the Draft and could potentially pick up a future replacement(Merkley) and if were high enough to pick Svechnikov or Dahlin then trade down and reap the benefits.

This is only if Trouba is unwilling to be in this organization though.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Maybe it's just me but Zadorov doesn't interest me at all in any deal.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We wouldn't have the cash in the future and why trade a No.1 D... If I where to trade Trouba to the ABS it would go something like this...

Trouba, 1st for Duchene, Zadorov and a 1st - This way we get a chance at a Top 5 in the Draft and could potentially pick up a future replacement(Merkley) and if were high enough to pick Svechnikov or Dahlin then trade down and reap the benefits.

This is only if Trouba is unwilling to be in this organization though.

You're still undervaluing Trouba - let the other fan bases do that. He is a top 10-15 D in the league. He is worth a massive return. Duchene + 1st + a lesser piece (how about Barberio :laugh: )
Zadorov is not worth our next 1st. Just leave him out.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012

I would tend to agree with you, for sure.

I'd move Trouba to the Avs for a Centre... but it isn't Duchene.

We're highly unlikely to get an equal D for Trouba (barring some D of similar value becoming disgruntled elsewhere), and in return I'd be seeking the best C possible. I have negative interest in wingers. We literally have wingers for days. In my opinion, the best group in all of hockey. Both in the NHL and in the system. It's stupid. Unless the winger is a youngish, near lock, first-ballot Hall of Famer, I don't want to even talk about it. Basically, Nikita Kucherov, Vladdy Tarasenko, Pat Kane, Jamie Benn or Patrik Laine, and we already possess one of 'em.

While I don't believe there is a deal to be struck between the Jets and the Avs, Trouba for MacKinnon + would have me interested, if Trouba is indeed looking for more red, white and blue pastures.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would tend to agree with you, for sure.

I'd move Trouba to the Avs for a Centre... but it isn't Duchene.

We're highly unlikely to get an equal D for Trouba (barring some D of similar value becoming disgruntled elsewhere), and in return I'd be seeking the best C possible. I have negative interest in wingers. We literally have wingers for days. In my opinion, the best group in all of hockey. Both in the NHL and in the system. It's stupid. Unless the winger is a youngish, near lock, first-ballot Hall of Famer, I don't want to even talk about it. Basically, Nikita Kucherov, Vladdy Tarasenko, Pat Kane, Jamie Benn or Patrik Laine, and we already possess one of 'em.

While I don't believe there is a deal to be struck between the Jets and the Avs, Trouba for MacKinnon + would have me interested, if Trouba is indeed looking for more red, white and blue pastures.

Something that hasn't come up so far in this thread is where does JT likely want to go. That matters. The return will be much better in one of the places he is likely to sign long term. I don't think Colorado is one of them. Just guessing, but I think it is Eastern Conf. or maybe California. JT for JT? We'd be able to give him the wingers he has never had. :)

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Ah, the MacKinnon talk has started again. It's still as platonic as it was last offseason.

And "Little for RHD" is just the Jets' version of "JVR for RHD", i.e., not happening.

Trouba will play for us this season, then he will probably play for us next season (unless the team collapses and the GM, whoever that will be, wants to blow stuff up), and then we'll see.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
You're still undervaluing Trouba - let the other fan bases do that. He is a top 10-15 D in the league. He is worth a massive return. Duchene + 1st + a lesser piece (how about Barberio :laugh: )
Zadorov is not worth our next 1st. Just leave him out.

I'm not putting Zadorov in the conversation because he adds value I have him in the trade to add depth and play on the 3rd Pairing short term wise, also I did add another 1st Round from Colorado as it would likely be Top 5 in a great Draft.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I just want a bunch of firsts for trouba. Keep team competitive and contender for the next decade.

I just want to win now, which for me means keeping Trouba. At some point you have to stop collecting assets and go for it.

Big no for me on this proposed trade - Jets give up too much.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just want to win now, which for me means keeping Trouba. At some point you have to stop collecting assets and go for it.

Yea I agree I am way less concerned about maximizing value for Trouba and much more concerned about Winning a cup in the next three years. Our window is now. One season at a time though let's see how things go this year with Trouba and the Jets.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

True, but you wanna have more than one shot at it
Give yourself the odds

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
True, but you wanna have more than one shot at it
Give yourself the odds

We will have more than one shot at it even if we keep Trouba. I'd like to improve my odds for the first one in the immediate term - this team has a good roster, and should be able to make some noise. We have no idea where these "additional 1st rounders" will end up taking the team in the future.

It's not just about collecting assets - it's about determining when it's appropriate to take the plunge and go for it.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The Avs do

Wht would they? They get a better centre and some young players

It's the same moves the jets make when the jets trade
They get a player plus prospects and picks

In this case instead of picks we give you some young and ready nhlers and a prospect who's looking close to being nhl ready

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad