Proposal: Duchene for Trouba, Little for younger RHD

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
So, for whatever reason.. I cannot shake the feeling that Trouba is simply waiting out his time in Winnipeg. You can say there is no evidence of this, or that things have changed.... but regardless, there is still a very real possibility that Trouba could be gone if not locked up long term. The point of this thread is not to argue if he wants out or not, but to analyze the deal.

I propose this:

To Winnipeg:
Matt Duchene+Zadorov+2nd?

To Colorado:
Jacob Trouba+ Bryan Little

or... if no adds and it's just Duchene for Trouba...

To Club with available young D(Carolina, perhaps?):
Bryan Little

To WPG:
Younger LHD/RHD with upside + 1st/2nd

Why I propose this:
1) Both players expressed interest in moving on from their respective clubs.
2) A tandem of Scheifele and Duchene would be ridiculous.
3) Colorado gets a D they've sorely needed.
3) I love Little, but he is getting older and though showing no signs of decreasing his output... it will come. This would align the age of our core. Also, no playoff success while having little in our Top 6. Not saying it's on him at all.... but sometimes things need a change.
4) Little still has a ton of value, so you could look for teams needing Centre help and augment the Trouba hole

Now, this is risky as we aren't fully out of the woods in terms of Myers injury... but if he IS fine and ready to roll... it could work.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
At this point I would trade Duchene for Trouba straight up, but I wouldn't trade Zadorov and a 2nd for Little. Also Zadorov is a LHD. Interesting premise, although I don't think interdivisional teams would make this trade.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Rather keep Trouba for a few more years and if he can't get signed, flip him then.

No interest in trading him for Duchene. 0.

GaryPoppins

Sep 10, 2016
At this point I would trade Duchene for Trouba straight up, but I wouldn't trade Zadorov and a 2nd for Little. Also Zadorov is a LHD. Interesting premise, although I don't think interdivisional teams would make this trade.

There is absolutely that factor. Wonder if upside of both is enough to get past that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not interested in the least. Little is about as good as Duchene so no need for him. Both proposals are terrible. Trouba is worth way more than Duchene at this point that a major plus would need to come back our way. Duchene also does not address any need on the team as we are stacked with high end offensive players.

No fit between the teams.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Absolutely none. I've lost count of the number of Trouba to the Avs proposal threads, and it seems like they all reach the same conclusion.

Unless Makar is being included in these proposals, nothing's changed: there's zero fit between the Jets and Avs as trade partners.

GaryPoppins

Sep 10, 2016
Not interested in the least. Little is about as good as Duchene so no need for him. Both proposals are terrible. Trouba is worth way more than Duchene at this point that a major plus would need to come back our way. Duchene also does not address any need on the team as we are stacked with high end offensive players.

There could absolutely be adds on both sides, but the proposals are not terrible.

The factor is Little's age. Duchene would be better than Little if playing with our top six.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The four oldest players on the team are 32, 32, 30, 29.

At some point we need to get better, not younger.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Sorry but Duchene + Zadorov + 2nd doesn't get you Trouba alone.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
There could absolutely be adds on both sides, but the proposals are not terrible.

The factor is Little's age. Duchene would be better than Little if playing with our top six.

The factor (besides there being no interest in trading Trouba for Duchene) is that Duchene only has 1 more year that Little on his current contract.

I feel a there is a lot better chance to re-sign Little than there is on hoping Duchene signs with the Jets after a short stint instead of going to UFA. 0 chance on moving Trouba to take that risk IMO.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah, Trouba has proven that he's a legitimate top pairing defender, and Little is a severely underrated first line centre (though he'll likely start regressing as age becomes an issue). Meanwhile, Zadorov hasn't proven much beyond being a serviceable mid-pairing D (who's threatened to run back to Russia already), and Duchene isn't objectively better than Little. I've no interest in trading Trouba to a division rival except for a significant overpayment.

GaryPoppins

Sep 10, 2016
Yeah, Trouba has proven that he's a legitimate top pairing defender, and Little is a severely underrated first line centre (though he'll likely start regressing as age becomes an issue). Meanwhile, Zadorov hasn't proven much beyond being a serviceable mid-pairing D (who's threatened to run back to Russia already), and Duchene isn't objectively better than Little. I've no interest in trading Trouba to a division rival except for a significant overpayment.

I would assume the threats are simply to get out of the tire fire that is Colorado.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I can't come up with a package of Avs' assets that would fetch Trouba, let alone Little on top of him.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
It would be rough for the jets to lose their best defenseman
It's really too bad Trouba is playing this game

If We have to move Trouba then I'm for it
As long as you can use little to replace Trouba

Or keep little, scheifele and have duchene as your 3c for a season or 2?

Maybe we have to move buff and wheeler for a rhd?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Little has outscored Duchene over the last several seasons. He is better defensively than Duchene. He is better at both shot suppression and shot generation. Duchene has played with talented linemates in Colorado. There is no reason to expect him to be any better in Winnipeg.

Little is a UFA in 1 more season, Duchene in 2. Little will likely be cheaper to re-sign. He has expressed interest in staying in Winnipeg. Duchene may or may not like it. Both will need raises, Little to about what Duchene makes now, Duchene somewhat above that.

Duchene is 3 years younger. That may or may not compensate for the pluses that Little has. They are close to even.

Zadorov has played only to a 3rd pair level so far. He is young and will likely improve but that is not guaranteed. Then there is the Russian factor. His value in the context of Trouba and Little is minimal.

Losing Trouba and Little is a huge step back. Duchene and Zadorov do not make up that loss. The 2nd doesn't even come close to compensating for the difference.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Young No.1 D for Top 6 C on a team that hasn't succeeded yet and was the worst team in the league. Value is seriously lacking there, there would have to be more value added(likely a 1st Round pick)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Absolutely no interest in trading Trouba for Duch straight up. Trouba for Duch++ (both plus would need to be significant).

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
IF Trouba will not resign, I'd restructure the trade like this..

Trouba
Copp
4th

for

Matt Duchene
Zadorov
2nd (conditional: turns into 1st if Trouba signs long term w/avs)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad