Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
To Columbus:
Dylan Cozens
Rasmus Ristolainen

To Buffalo:
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Vladislav Gavrikov

Dubois and Cozens are right next to each other on Corey Pronman's best under-23 NHL stars. Sabres fans would be satisfied if Cozens develops into what Dubois has already become. Jarmo gets to hold the hammer over another young star on ELC.

Ristolainen for Gavrikov is close on term and stature, and is a way to help Sabres' cap work out. Sabres lose a little offense from blue line, but rebalance R/L defence.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
To Columbus:
Dylan Cozens
Rasmus Ristolainen

To Buffalo:
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Vladislav Gavrikov

Dubois and Cozens are right next to each other on Corey Pronman's best under-23 NHL stars. Sabres fans would be satisfied if Cozens develops into what Dubois has already become. Jarmo gets to hold the hammer over another young star on ELC.

Ristolainen for Gavrikov is close on term and stature, and is a way to help Sabres' cap work out. Sabres lose a little offense from blue line, but rebalance R/L defence.
Cozens is a good prospect. PLD is a good, young NHL player. You don't get one for the other.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I can't think of a package from buffalo that helps the jackets now or doesn't involve Columbus adding to get a certain untouchable.

Reactions: majormajor and Fro

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Cozens is a good prospect. PLD is a good, young NHL player. You don't get one for the other.

I get where you are coming from but there more to consider .

Team years of control
Contract amounts in a dead cap
ELC>>>>5million x2
A player that wants out .who to say he will sign with Buffalo in 2 years and if so at what cap hit ?
Buffalo looks like they are about to come out of a rebuilt . Not a contender yet so it is the wrong time to trade high end young prospect .

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Team years of control
ELC>>>>5million x2
A player that wants out .who to say he will sign with Buffalo in 2 years and if so at what cap hit ?
Buffalo looks like they are about to come out of a rebuilt . Not a contender yet so it is the wrong time to trade high end young prospect .
I understand why Buff would do it. I don't get why CBJ would.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
To Columbus:
Dylan Cozens
Rasmus Ristolainen

To Buffalo:
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Vladislav Gavrikov

Easy no from CBJ. This isn't enticing for PLD and Gavrikov holds a lot of value as well. Big time pass...

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I think you can close this thread. As a Sabres fan I can understand why CBJ wouldn't want to make this trade, and I personally don't think the Sabres are desperate to make this move at the moment.

Reactions: Kublakhan and Fro

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I’d do Cozens plus whatever add for PLD. Columbus wouldn’t though.

Now if Cozens was in Dach’s position (having already played in the NHL as a top 6 C for a year, not the out for the season with a broken arm thing), they might think about it, but only if they’re pissed at PLD. Otherwise they’re trying to find someone to play behind him, not replace him.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Yes from the Sabres and im high on Cozens. We hope Cozens is as good as PLD. Take the guaranteed player and good prospect while dumping Risto.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Team years of control
ELC>>>>5million x2
True but in this case Gavrikov is also going the other way which is just plainly ridiculous.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
A trade with Dubois and Cozens at the core is at least interesting. Yet Gavrikov has very high value, and Ristoleinen's value is limited (he very likely finishes out that contract in Buffalo). Columbus has no interest in that expanded deal.

At this point in the offseason, making a trade work where the principal pieces include one good prospect from one side and one well-paid NHL player on the other is difficult. The team dealing a prospect is taking on money, so they have to send money the other way to offset the cap implications. You end up with a case like this, where Ristoleinen is unattractive to Columbus and they'd decline easily.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
The question is post COVID is Ristolainen a positive or negative valued asset at $5.4 x 2, UFA.

Even if you want to make argument, dumping a contract isn't worth one of the top 10-15 prospects in the game that just crushed the WJC and is going to play this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad