Confirmed with Link: Dubnyk traded to the Wild for a 2015 3rd.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Maloney did well with the 3rd. Dubnyuk has played better than expected but not signed to an extension and Wild haven't yet pushed themselves into the playoff mix. It's all for naught unless they steal a playoff spot.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wishing we had the ol "conditional" attached to that trade. As in, if Dubnyk leads the league in GAA therd round pick becomes a first. That kind of thing.

Most you would have seen is a conditional second. Likely if they win a round or two in the playoffs.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Has he really gone 8-1-1 with a 1.53 GAA with the Wild? I remember the trade board going nuts that he was worthless.

Yes. Minny doesn't allow many shots. They had below average goaltending all year. Even if they got someone average, they'd improve. Dubz is hot this year.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
He's now 7th in the league for save % and 10th in goals against playing for two non-playoff teams (though that may change for the Wild). Fair to say objectively that he is a top 10 goaltender this year.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Usually i hate seeing ex-coyotes succeed immediately after a trade, but i'm so stoked for Dubnyk and the Wild. Edmonton was terrible for that guy's career. Nice to see these kinds of bounce back stories.

If Minnesota makes the playoffs, i know who I'm rooting for. How sick would it be to see Dubnyk lead his team to a Stanley Cup? :laugh: Fletcher would owe us a lopsided trade in our favor ;)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Good for GMDM's reputation too. The best trades should be win-win, not where one rips the other off.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Good for GMDM's reputation too. The best trades should be win-win, not where one rips the other off.
All a matter of perspective I guess. Good for GMDM that he was able to pick up a backup on the cheap and turn him into a 3rd rounder. Bad for GMDM that his albotross of a contract to Mike Smith prevented him from using Dubnyk as a starter and having a top tier goalie between the pipes instead of a bottom tier one.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
All a matter of perspective I guess. Good for GMDM that he was able to pick up a backup on the cheap and turn him into a 3rd rounder. Bad for GMDM that his albotross of a contract to Mike Smith prevented him from using Dubnyk as a starter and having a top tier goalie between the pipes instead of a bottom tier one.

Having a bottom tier goalie allows the team to get McDavid, it's going to be worth it. So yeah, perspective matters.

I'd rather Smith just be gone, even if he plays out the year well. Something about him seems off. Inconsistent. I'd much rather platoon two goalies with Burke coaching them up.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Having a bottom tier goalie allows the team to get McDavid, it's going to be worth it. So yeah, perspective matters.

I'd rather Smith just be gone, even if he plays out the year well. Something about him seems off. Inconsistent. I'd much rather platoon two goalies with Burke coaching them up.
It may be worth it (I don't think we'll get McDavid but I understand your meaning) but GMDM doesn't get bonus points for setting us up for a lottery pick. I suspect Maloney actually thought Smith was worth the contract he gave him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I suspect Maloney actually thought Smith was worth the contract he gave him.

He did, certainly, until about the middle of last season when Smith started regressing back to his original inconsistent state. I think by season's end Maloney realized his mistake and I believe that more than anything influenced his decision re: Vrbata.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
GMDM doesn't get bonus points for setting us up for a lottery pick.

I disagree. Throwing your hands up in the air while writing off the season isn't an option or the mark of a good manager. Maneuvering is maneuvering. I suspect Barroway would be far more impressed with "I assessed that we'd be very bad, and did x,y,z accordingly" versus "well gosh, I thought we'd make the playoffs!"

One is honest and accurate, if brutal. The other is the sign of someone that doesn't have a clue. If Maloney thought he'd be bottom ten this year, and didn't sign a few guys as a result, that's worth something to Barroway. People with the financials to buy teams don't often get there by throwing good money down a well.

The hard truth is that the kudos given to teams for playing out the year hard and finishing 10-16 are imaginary. If one bad year is enough for a losing culture to set in, you had way worse problems behind the scenes than initially let on.

Maloney would prefer to have a quality starter for Smith's pricetag, I'm sure, tank be damned. But for now, he serves a useful purpose. Hence Devan "tank busta" Dubnyk being traded away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad