dubnyk hitting hornqvist while 2 players have him in a headlock

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I dont think this is a big deal either way but I don’t see how a goalie can do that *and* get a power play. You can’t just whale away on a guy cuz he’s chippy. Hornqvist may be a troll and an prick but he’s not playing dangerous. The penalty doesn’t fit the crime. More stellar nhl officiating

Reactions: Macbanan

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
At least he was nice enough to not hit Hornqvist in the head given his concussion history. Hitting Hornqvist in the torso probably didn't even hurt him. Horny's entire body is made up of 80% abs.

mel

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2006
Boston
I thought Hornqvist swiped or grabbed at his head first and that's why Dubnyk took exception to it.

At most I thought it would have been matching minors but I wasn't surprised to see Hornqvist get the extra two. He's a pest in front of the net but you love to have him on your team when he's on his game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I dislike Dubnyk as much as the next guy, but Hörnqvist tends to invite these things due to the way he plays.

Reactions: BHD

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Two unlikeable douchebags going at it. Who would've thought? Always fun to see Dubnyk completely unravel any time things don't go his way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Murzu and klozge

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hornqvist plays exactly how you're supposed to play in front if the net, and he doesn't play dirty to accomplish it. The after the whistle stuff that teams get away with on him is absurd.

That he got the extra penalty yesterday was downright clown shoes by the refs.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hornqvist plays exactly how you're supposed to play in front if the net, and he doesn't play dirty to accomplish it. The after the whistle stuff that teams get away with on him is absurd.

That he got the extra penalty yesterday was downright clown shoes by the refs.
Yes, he is an angel. He doesn't hack away at the goalie well after the pick is covered. He is an amazing net front presence who is a dbag in general. He is not some innocent angel who only receives punishment, he deals a lot of it as well.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm surprised this hasn't happened to Gallagher yet.

Your team should have gotten in there and started a line brawl by tackling Dubnyk.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Throwing a punch with a blocker is an automatic match penalty.

It's only a match penalty if "If, in the judgment of the Referee, a goalkeeper uses his blocking glove to punch an opponent in the head or face in an attempt to or to deliberately injure an opponent, a match penalty must be assessed."

Didn't hit him in the head or face. No match penalty.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
sure, but the Pens got the extra 2 minutes on the play itself. It's just frustrating seeing Horny getting punched in the face after every single whistle in the O zone and the only times it gets called he gets taken to the box too. He gets at least 5-10 penalties a year for being punched in the face.

If you are talking about what is shown on the video above, I don't see "Horny" getting punched in the face at all. You must be talking about a different incident.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I dislike Dubnyk as much as the next guy, but Hörnqvist tends to invite these things due to the way he plays.

Indeed. He's not dirty, but he still gets under the skin of goalies.

Pens fans fully expect goalies to retaliate. It's the extra shots from their teammates (cross checks to the back and to the head), though, that might be excessive.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
It's cute how many posters think a player should be punished by the refs for being a pest regardless of what the rules actually say. Great to see Hornqvist finding his form after the bad, injury-plagued second half of the season last year. He gets so much abuse from defencemen and somehow he is the bad guy. Few players can get under a goalie skin like him but it's not like he is trying to injure them, so all the indignation is hilarious. If Hornqvist were on your team you would love him.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
51.3 Match Penalty - If, in the judgment of the Referee, a goalkeeper uses his blocking glove to punch an opponent in an attempt to or to deliberately injure an opponent, a match penalty may be assessed.

You are missing some words in this paragraph. It states " If, in the judgment of the Referee, a goalkeeper uses his blocking glove to punch an opponent in the head or face in an attempt to or to deliberately injure an opponent, a match penalty must be assessed.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
All the comments saying Hornqvist deserves it is why he’s such a good player. Even if he’s not getting points, he’s affecting the game by rattling the other team and their fan base.

Reactions: BHD

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
It's cute how many posters think a player should be punished by the refs for being a pest regardless of what the rules actually say. Great to see Hornqvist finding his form after the bad, injury-plagued second half of the season last year. He gets so much abuse from defencemen and somehow he is the bad guy. Few players can get under a goalie skin like him but it's not like he is trying to injure them, so all the indignation is hilarious. If Hornqvist were on your team you would love him.
I mean, it’s not like he is constantly hacking away or continuing physical contact with goalies after the whistle or turtles or ducks out when players go after him...

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I mean, it’s not like he is constantly hacking away or continuing physical contact with goalies after the whistle or turtles or ducks out when players go after him...

"Hacking away". :D
I guess Hornqvist is still living rent free in the heads of Caps fans. Especially funny coming from a guy (rightly) mocking JR for his Wilson obsession.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
you're right, he doesn't continue hacking away after the whistle because he's immediately getting mugged after every whistle.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm sure fans all over the league are outraged by Dubnyk's goonish actions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad