Speculation: Dubas on the potential offersheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I do laugh though that with all the RFA's coming up the Leafs seem to be the only ones that are a threat to receive offer sheets.

Likely because the Leafs have 2 very high profile RFA's that need to be re-signed and just because non Leaf fans on HF seem to love getting Leaf fans all riled up. :) I've seen the Jets also brought up a few times regarding offersheets since they have Laine, Connor and Trouba being RFA this summer.

Anyway I didn't expect Dubas to say anything different in public even if he was a bit worried about the possibility of an OS happening if contract talks get to and past July 1st.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
McDavid signed his extension before becoming a RFA.

Yes he did. However, before signing the extension, he won the Hart trophy. He could have had his choice of destination and dollars. He elected to stay at a reasonable contract which reflected his value within the league.

McDavid has competent representation. Guaranteed that before they gave him the ok to sign the deal that gave up the next 8 years (and likely most productive of his career), they discussed with him the option of waiting a year, and pursuing a more desirable place to play, with a bigger contract.

Ultimately, to do an offer sheet, Matthews would have to be somebody who is prepared to go to a team that is going to make him the highest paid player in the league, and give up first round picks in 4 out of 5 years for the privilege of doing so.

Not only is it a horrendously bad idea for that team, but it puts Matthews in the position of being the sole reason why his team cannot get success -- they're overpaying him, and they've cut out their best chances at cheaper supporting casts.

McDavid looked at that same prospect -- and while there probably wasnt an offer sheet out there which Edmonton wasnt going to match, he chose to sign a deal that was going to make him the highest paid player in the league (as he deserved to be winning the Hart in his 2nd year), but also at a term that would hopefully allow the oilers to surround him with cup-winning talent.

Matthews has the luxury of being in Toronto, where they've already got many of the elements they probably need to win a cup, so it's less of a hope.

In today's cap world, offer sheets only make sense for guys who are in marginalized situations where they are being undervalued by their existing team. Nylander could have been an example, but Dubas caved and gave him top dollar.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Connor McDavid signed his extension with a year left on his ELC. Matthews would have needed to sign an extension this past off-season for your point to be valid.

The summer before his ELC expired he would have been fully aware that he could have gotten a max, or near max contract on an offer sheet. His decision to sign a year early is a decision to not pursue an offer sheet. That's the point, these players don't blindly pursue the maximum possible offer.

Reactions: Kurtz

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Lmao hf spent weeks and months fantasizing about leafs getting offersheeted and dubas is like "I dont even think about that"

Lollolololol
You actually believe him?? He's shitting his pants thinking about it there's a reason both haven't signed yet. Marner and Mathews are getting paid and it will definitely affect the Leafs cap situation. If someone offers 12.5 plus and it's quite possible he has to be worried. I've read 14 plus per for Mathews but that's just silly he's not worth close to that in my opinion.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I mean it would certainly mess up the Leafs but they would end up with 12 1st round picks over the span of 4 years to create a long term dynasty with. I understand theres a 1% chance they lose both players and about a 5% chance they lose 1, but thats a lot of picks to build a cost controlled team with.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
You actually believe him?? He's ****ting his pants thinking about it there's a reason both haven't signed yet. Marner and Mathews are getting paid and it will definitely affect the Leafs cap situation. If someone offers 12.5 plus and it's quite possible he has to be worried. I've read 14 plus per for Mathews but that's just silly he's not worth close to that in my opinion.

Or he's not worrying about right now as he said, and Matthews and Marner are not signed yet, as it's quite normal for players to not sign new contracts during the season.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I hope Chayka backs up a brinks truck for the entertainment

I've said it before and I will say it again here.

Arizona actively trades for injured and retired players just to make the salary cap floor. This is a team without stable ownership that can barely afford to keep the lights on in the rink.

Forget whether he would even sign it, the chances that Arizona has the finances to sign the highest contract in league history is about the same chance any of us have of dating Kate Upton, which is a number less than 0%

Reactions: Raymondo316

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Ah yes, the everpresent threat of the poorest team in the league - that is losing millions of dollars every year - signing Matthews to a $14 million + contract. Well, it was nice knowing you Auston!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
"We can and we will" sounds defensive and insecure to you?

lol
people on HF in general throw around phrases like "insecurity" and "victim complex" as generic insults without actually having a clue what they mean. Dubas answering a direct question in a confident and open manner is the exact opposite of insecurity

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't know about Matthews but my answer would be yes.

Most hockey players don't operate with that mindset. It's always team awards, Stanley cup.

Matthews is going to be a VERY rich person by the time he's done playing. He's going to be a VERY rich person the second he signs his contract as it will include a ton of guaranteed money.

He can reasonably think to himself, if I have $50m after tax, Would I rather have have $60m, or a Stanley Cup ring?

Most players in that situation would take the ring.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Most hockey players don't operate with that mindset. It's always team awards, Stanley cup.

Matthews is going to be a VERY rich person by the time he's done playing. He's going to be a VERY rich person the second he signs his contract as it will include a ton of guaranteed money.

He can reasonably think to himself, if I have $50m after tax, Would I rather have have $60m, or a Stanley Cup ring?

Most players in that situation would take the ring.

Most players at 21 would probably think they have their whole career ahead of them and plenty of time to chase a ring. Personally think Matthews is in a great situation in Toronto but there are or will be plenty of teams that can make a huge pitch if he gets to July 1 (or takes a shorter deal to get to FA, etc). With the team currently constructed, say Toronto doesn't get out of the first round? Then he's on a team full of superstars that can't get out of the first round and are due salary. Is he going to pull a Tavares, take a sweetheart deal only to see the team not take the steps needed in order to get even better (related, Garth Snow is an idiot). Is Marner going to do that?

It is going to be an interesting offseason but (as I've stated in other threads) Toronto is in an envious position. They have a solid team, have assets and picks they can move if need be and still sign their core players in the offseason.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think there will be offer sheets on either of these players. I don't think any team would give Marner an offer sheet. They won't offer him enough that the Leafs won't match it. Matthews is going to get a huge contract and is unavoidable so there is no point in allowing it to get past July 1st. If it did get past July 1st there might be one, but I would be surprised if the Leafs were that stupid to let it get to that point.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
It sounds like this is him denying it but being genuinely worried about it

Why is it non Leaf fans that come up with this shit thinking that Dubas is worried? Prove it cause I don't believe your opinion. Leafs have enough money to buy the Coyotes and any other team that tries to OS Mathews and Marner and make them an AHL team. I can't believe all this nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad