GDT: Dubé Debut - Caps v. Cats 6pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What is sad is the Caps have lost a few OT games due to stupidity this season. I can't remember which game but I think it was like 3 secs left in OT before went to a Shoot out. Caps might have 64 points right now for sure.

Ugh, I was yelling at the TV don't fight Mantha! The TDL is coming up!
He’s hurt himself fighting before —-

This may make it easier to trade him, if he broke a finger or something like that.

Caps need him to play, to win. If he’s hurt for 2-3 weeks, he’s no good to us. But he will be good for a team that is assured of making the playoffs. His value won’t tank much, unless it’s something serious.

If this is the case (same w Dowd), then certainly trade them. I DO care about this year. But there comes a time to waive the white flag. These injuries may force it.

Or the team rallies and wins the next 2-3 games and they ride it out.

Edit — shit, the 5 games before the deadline are:
Ott
@DET
PHI
AZ
@PITT

What do they need? I say at least 7pts. 6 *may* be ok, depending how they get it (reg wins vs Det and PHI and PITT, as an example). Less than that won’t cut it.

f***ing Injuries!!!

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I always want to win. So do players. Nobody is tanking on purpose.

In terms of TDL, We aren’t trading away any core pieces… i suspect we still look to move some UFA’s which includes Patches (fine), Mantha (will hurt us this year), and Edmundson (who has been very important). We can also bring back old/expensive expiring contracts from teams trying to free up space who can fill the gaps of the players we trade out. I think if we are in the hunt we hold Dowd and Chucky not necessarily for this year but for next.

With our young guys coming on we could take a major step forward next year especially if we can be assured we don’t have Kuzy or Backstrom on the books.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
With our young guys coming on we could take a major step forward next year especially if we can be assured we don’t have Kuzy or Backstrom on the books.
How in the world would we get Kuz off the books? I don’t think Leonsis does buyouts, and i cant imagine another team would want him unless we retained a massive amount of salary. Just an honest question. Him being off the books would be amazing

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The team is playing hard and IMO Carbery is making miracles with a sh*t roster. I'm positive moving forward provided they can make some shrewd moves to get younger and more skilled.
This is the thing we aren't talking about:

How many periods off has this team really taken this year? They've been shelled at times, sure, but they have got such a higher "give a shit" quotient than last year or some years prior.

Some of it is just new guys and not a coaching miracle by itself but that's okay. Overall I've been much happier with their tendency to loaf and take periods off, they'd likely have lost some of these tighter games if they played at all like last year.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
So Milano would have been okay playing aggressive like that, but his mistake was he waited too long instead of making a quick hard backhand pass to his open teammate once he regained possession of the puck again. If it was a more experienced player, they probably would have carried the puck out of the o-zone and regrouped.
He's closer to "experienced" than he is to rookie status. He's 27, played in the league for parts now of 9 seasons (admittedly the first 2 were barely cups of coffee). It's nice he's getting some 3-on-3 time, I don't remember him getting much if any of that in prior seasons or even earlier this one. Maybe this learning opportunity will help him to improve his decisionmaking. Like many of his teammates, there are moments when he shines, others when he seems overwhelmed. It's frustrating to watch.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Perhaps you can then explain your comment? It read as a complaint.

Perhaps it was sarcastic?

“good job” or not, I appreciate the response. However, I also call it like I see it. If I’m wrong, then tell me please (the sarcasm wasn’t needed, but obv I do it myself, so I cannot complain)

Fair enough. Again, I love GMBM and I believe he’s a top 5 GM in the league. I’ve been vocal about it on these boards, but it’s fair to assume you weren’t aware of my position.

In regards to my comment, we’ve had Dowd get hurt, looked like Jensen was down, and now Mantha is hurt. I know he’s waiting to see how the team plays to base his moves on their success or failure but with the injuries seeming to pile up and the trade deadline looming it would be unfortunate for us to be stuck with players who for all and intents and purposes should be traded. Mostly looking at Mantha, Edmundson, and Pacioretty.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
bummer blowing the extra pt but gotta be happy with the effort, cpl of those posts could've been the Mo for a W

ugly slog first 30 w/ Caps holding FLA's offense down v well
turned into a better quality battle rest of way, Sbarros BMal Willie and Martha all solid gms

1-1 into 3rd then going up 2-1 was great, knew it would be tall order to prevent the equalizer

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Fair enough. Again, I love GMBM and I believe he’s a top 5 GM in the league. I’ve been vocal about it on these boards, but it’s fair to assume you weren’t aware of my position.

In regards to my comment, we’ve had Dowd get hurt, looked like Jensen was down, and now Mantha is hurt. I know he’s waiting to see how the team plays to base his moves on their success or failure but with the injuries seeming to pile up and the trade deadline looming it would be unfortunate for us to be stuck with players who for all and intents and purposes should be traded. Mostly looking at Mantha, Edmundson, and Pacioretty.
Got it. You are correct, I wasn’t aware of your stance on GMBM. I share that stance. So now I won’t make that mistake again!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
How in the world would we get Kuz off the books? I don’t think Leonsis does buyouts, and i cant imagine another team would want him unless we retained a massive amount of salary. Just an honest question. Him being off the books would be amazing
Fair question. I think there are two paths to get him off the books (understanding we actually have some Cap flexibility for first time in 15 years).

First would be if he doesn’t come out of the Player Assistance Program. Doubtful this happens

Second is Mutual Termination of contract - Hard to ask Kuzy to give up 7.8M but he wants out (unlike Backstrom). He may want to go to KHL. We owe him a $2M signing bonus on July 2 so we could terminate after that and he would only forfeit $6M and he can make most or all of that back elsewhere. So everyone wins.

Lastly, We could buy out his last year. I’m not sure the exact formula but we would take dead cap money of around 3M per for two years which we can “afford” right now with a lot of young/less expensive players.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Got it. You are correct, I wasn’t aware of your stance on GMBM. I share that stance. So now I won’t make that mistake again!
I also share that stance. Don’t know why people bang him up so much. These last few years since the Cup have been very difficult to navigate and has required taking some bigger risks on upside. Most of them look like good gambles on paper but haven’t panned out.

I also like my biz analogies so here is that one. If you are in VC (Venture Capital), you bet on 10 high risk company and the best VC firms will hit on 1 or 2. 3 or 4 you might be able to get out of and 3-4 will just bust. That is what GMBM has been doing on upside signings, high risk/upside picks and reclamation projects. When a PE (Private Equity) firm you invest in more medium to high returns with less risk because your investors are typically 401k/pension plans which don’t want risk. I think we are starting to transition to this.

I’m excited to see how GMBM shapes the roster now that he has the luxury to “buy” more good return pieces that cost. I’d like to see that with looking at some RFA’s that may cost more in assets and Cap but can be young, long term pieces.

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad