Confirmed with Link: Dryden Hunt traded for Denis Malgin

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I wouldn't rush to re-sign Malgin at all costs, but he's ticked up to getting a QO. I've like him for a long time going back to his draft year. There is clear talent there, but size holds him back. When he's playing his game well, you see his burst and edges create just enough space to use his hands and shot. When I say burst matters more than outright speed, you kinda see that here. Malgin isn't fast, but has burst and can create space with a stride or two.

I do hope that even if the Avs don't re-sign Malgin, that some team gives him a shot. Put him on a bad team, he's a legit top 9 option and solidifies himself as a NHLer.
We'll see what he can do in the playoffs when the hitting gets ramped up. He's small, but if he can still contribute, you have to sign him

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't rush to re-sign Malgin at all costs, but he's ticked up to getting a QO. I've like him for a long time going back to his draft year. There is clear talent there, but size holds him back. When he's playing his game well, you see his burst and edges create just enough space to use his hands and shot. When I say burst matters more than outright speed, you kinda see that here. Malgin isn't fast, but has burst and can create space with a stride or two.

I do hope that even if the Avs don't re-sign Malgin, that some team gives him a shot. Put him on a bad team, he's a legit top 9 option and solidifies himself as a NHLer.
Since he's been on the Avs and a bit of his time earlier with Florida I've thought he could have a Jonathan Marchessault-like career if he finds something to excel at, whether it be his shot, his ability to make plays in traffic, his ability to create turnovers/chances, etc.

I think there's clearly an NHL player within Malgin. Where that is remains to be seen. Would love if he turned into a 40 point player on the Avs for cheap next season.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
There is a reason he is a fringe NHLer. I'm not sold on bring him back, unless it's 1M or less.

One hot streak doesn't account for the fact he played like 25 games without scoring.
He's an RFA so he doesn't have much leverage.

If someone offersheets him for over 1M just let him go.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I didn’t think that at all. He simply spoke honestly about how hard it is to win in the playoffs, there’s nothing wrong with that. Bednar isn’t about over-the-top histrionics and mind games like some coaches.
There is no way he should be discussing Landeskog at this time. Not a very positive take. Nor should he be discussing anything about the playoffs a month in advance. Seems like a poor attitude to me

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Looking at capfriendly, CMac's got a busy summer. LOC is the only player in the bottom six signed and we also need a 2C. I would think sending Malgin his QO ($787,500) would be a no brainer.

But if I'm being honest, I don't really see him as an NHL player. He's just not good enough for a top six role, and not physical enough for a 4th line role. To be honest, he doesn't really do much to warrant 3rd line minutes either. Maybe if he was a PK god or something, but I'm just not sure what skill he offers the team other than being a good callup.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I will not argue that one bit.

He kinda looks like that tiny dude on the court that everyone is trying to catch, but he's shifty aF. Especially when he's out against slower bottom six dudes. I think somehow it works for him lol. If he was in a top six role I wonder if it he'd be able to stand out like that. Should probably be tried if he keeps this up though.

I'll take goals from the bottom six any time.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Looking at capfriendly, CMac's got a busy summer. LOC is the only player in the bottom six signed and we also need a 2C. I would think sending Malgin his QO ($787,500) would be a no brainer.

But if I'm being honest, I don't really see him as an NHL player. He's just not good enough for a top six role, and not physical enough for a 4th line role. To be honest, he doesn't really do much to warrant 3rd line minutes either. Maybe if he was a PK god or something, but I'm just not sure what skill he offers the team other than being a good callup.

I think he's bringing exactly what he is currently doing. An offensive spark in the bottom six. What ERod should be doing once landeskog is back.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

That's being a bit harsh on Newhook.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
That's being a bit harsh on Newhook.
:laugh:

Now that you mention Alex, his qualifying offer this summer is a two-way, $874,125 deal. I'm not sure he's really done enough to deserve this 2M everyone keeps talking about. I'd offer him a one-way deal, but it really shouldn't be much over 1M. He's a young bottom six forward who struggles with consistency issues and hasn't really found his NHL game yet. Newhook's inability to carve out a niche for himself has resulted in his continuously being shuffled around trying to find some spot on the roster where he looks like an NHL player. I'll probably get read the riot act for saying this, but O'Connor is a more important player for the Avalanche.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
:laugh:

Now that you mention Alex, his qualifying offer this summer is a two-way, $874,125 deal. I'm not sure he's really done enough to deserve this 2M everyone keeps talking about. I'd offer him a one-way deal, but it really shouldn't be much over 1M. He's a young bottom six forward who struggles with consistency issues and hasn't really found his NHL game yet. Newhook's inability to carve out a niche for himself has resulted in his continuously being shuffled around trying to find some spot on the roster where he looks like an NHL player. I'll probably get read the riot act for saying this, but O'Connor is a more important player for the Avalanche.
Newhook will have back to back 30 points seasons in his first two seasons. Not exactly a fair comparison, but Farabee parlayed similar to a $5m AAV. You can argue whether Newhook is actually worth $2m, but the comparables are there for 2s quite easily.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Newhook will have back to back 30 points seasons in his first two seasons. Not exactly a fair comparison, but Farabee parlayed similar to a $5m AAV. You can argue whether Newhook is actually worth $2m, but the comparables are there for 2s quite easily.

Let someone else bet on him to become JTC. No thanks lol.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

When did tweeners gain this much leverage? I get it when it's a 3rd liner that has a seriously effective skill like Lehky, or even JTC as a Swiss army knife, that is dull as fuk, but still.

Newhook is reminding me of Eberle without the shot, or that Gange dude who had like a random 8 point game or whatever.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
When did tweeners gain this much leverage? I get it when it's a 3rd liner that has a seriously effective skill like Lehky, or even JTC as a Swiss army knife, that is dull as fuk, but still.

Newhook is reminding me of Eberle without the shot, or that Gange dude who had like a random 8 point game or whatever.
He's not arbitration eligible. Seriously, I'd offer him 1M, 1.25M MAX and let him decide on a one or two year deal. Don't invest any significant cap space on him, until he figures out what kind of player he wants to be in the NHL.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

Not arguing, per se, but with the ugly cap complications generated by the RSO issues, the Avs are going to need a lot of $800K help. And I don't think a lot of top-6 talent is coming from elsewhere in that cap crunch.

This is where a lot of our HF armchair GMs lack perspective. You can bet that Sakic and CMac know more about league goings-on that we do. It might turn out that 1) CMac, like so many of us, did not want to spend assets on a pure rental ( especially with no guarantee of Landy being back this year.) and 2) CMac knew of some potential delays in the cap increases. None of us know ( well, maybe 1 or 2 of us.)

I've been laughed at for the past 4 months for suggesting CMac move Toews for a 2C. That still needs to happen the day after the season ends. While he has been awful this year, most teams would value Toews higher than Girard. So package Toews+ 2023 1st for some young up and comer 2C in the $5M AAV range.

Its going to get ugly on the bottom 6, as it appears there is no relief. So if Malgin does not completely suck, fits the $800K salary slot, and knows the system, he's likely a guy we should try to keep. Maybe Nieto as well. I am not saying I have the right answer, but Avs Pro Scouting is going to have to pull rabbits out of hats.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Basically since RFA bridges crossed the 3.5m… one ROR signed the offersheet, these have started cropping up. Two 30 point seasons means he has comps at higher rates… now he’s not arbitration eligible so the Avs can play hardball, but I don’t see that is the most realistic path.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Basically since RFA bridges crossed the 3.5m… one ROR signed the offersheet, these have started cropping up. Two 30 point seasons means he has comps at higher rates… now he’s not arbitration eligible so the Avs can play hardball, but I don’t see that is the most realistic path.

I would hardball it.

100% as said, has to be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad