Confirmed with Link: Dryden Hunt traded for Denis Malgin

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Which is why him capitalizing on those chances is valuable. Our bottom six actually creates plenty, but they can't finish. Otherwise we'd be giving LOC that spot up there or Cogs. Which we've done before with success for limited times.

I think I'm fine with Malgin as the 3LW playing up when needed next year. We'll see how he does in the playoffs though.

If Malgin was a top player in the Swiss league he might be used to more minutes as well. Which is what usually eventually kills LOC when he's moved up.
I think you solve the problem of keeping him sharp by playing him up and down the line up. I think it would be helpful if he plays with 29 or 96 sometimes so he can better maintain that scoring touch when he's playing bottom 6.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think you solve the problem of keeping him sharp by playing him up and down the line up. I think it would be helpful if he plays with 29 or 96 sometimes so he can better maintain that scoring touch when he's playing bottom 6.

Yeah it will be about how many minutes he can handle and maintain on both sides of the puck.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Which is why him capitalizing on those chances is valuable. Our bottom six actually creates plenty, but they can't finish. Otherwise we'd be giving LOC that spot up there or Cogs. Which we've done before with success for limited times.

I think I'm fine with Malgin as the 3LW playing up when needed next year. We'll see how he does in the playoffs though.

If Malgin was a top player in the Swiss league he might be used to more minutes as well. Which is what usually eventually kills LOC when he's moved up.
Yeah, his average TOI for the Lions last season was 19mins and in the playoffs it was almost 20mins. The season before in Lausanne he got about 2mins per game less but that's still a lot especially knowing that you can ice two more players in Europe compared to the NHL.

Malgin definitely likes to play a lot. We are, however, comparing apples and oranges here because the schedule in Switzerland is much lighter. And with that I don't just mean the actual games but also travel times. Obviously depends on the traffic situation and which team you play for but the maximum you're gonna get in Switzerland is usually a 4-5 hour bus ride. Save for potential crazy exhibition games or champions league games you most likely get to sleep at home in your own proper bed every night of the year if you wish to do so. Some teams may make exceptions and rent hotel rooms if they have to play a playoff series on the other side of the country but I think every team travels on gameday during the regular season and for at least 90% during playoffs as well. That's of course nothing compared to an 82 games NHL season where you sometimes, during road trips, don't see your proper bed for weeks and have to travel almost every day.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think he can play exclusively in the bottom 6. But the bottom 6 can use someone like him. It's not like the bottom 6 never gets opportunities or open space. But they lack skill/finish.

Agreed. Love the way LOC plays, but it helps if you can balance that style out out with a skill guy or two in the bottom six. As long as they work hard.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, his average TOI for the Lions last season was 19mins and in the playoffs it was almost 20mins. The season before in Lausanne he got about 2mins per game less but that's still a lot especially knowing that you can ice two more additional players in Europe compared to the NHL.

Malgin definitely likes to play a lot. We are, however, comparing apples and oranges here because the schedule in Switzerland is much lighter. And with that I don't just mean the actual games but also travel times. Obviously depends on the traffic situation and which team you play for but the maximum you're gonna get in Switzerland is usually a 4-5 hour bus ride. Save for potential crazy exhibition games or champions league games you most likely get to sleep at home in your own proper bed every night of the year if you wish to do so. Some teams may make exceptions and rent hotel rooms if they have to play a playoff series on the other side of the country but I think every team travels on gameday during the regular season and for at least 90% during playoffs as well. That's of course nothing compared to an 82 games NHL season where you sometimes, during road trips, don't see your proper bed for weeks and have to travel almost every day.

No wonder if guys can make good money they head there instead of the AHL or stick around for league minimum.

Although that makes me more confident in his ability to play like 15 to 17 minutes, and maintain. He might not see power play time much, but who knows.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Curious to see if he manages to stick in Colorado now. I think Malgin's problem is that he needs a bit lots of love and ice time to play his best hockey, especially when he's cold. He's a very streaky scorer, not always as efficient as you'd expect but with him being small, many coaches are hesitant to give him a proper bottom six role. So what happens is that when he's not scoring, he's in the doghouse pretty much asap.
I understand that you like him and so do I, but do streaky scorers who go cold honestly deserve consistent top 6-9 minutes?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I understand that you like him and so do I, but do streaky scorers who go cold honestly deserve consistent top 6-9 minutes?
Yeah again. My point was that I agree with Gallant and Bednar that Malgin brings more to the party than just scoring. We'll see if he sticks. I hope it but it's not a given. So far so good though. Bednar seems to like and trust him for now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Top 6 guys I think it depends on how much they score when they're hot and how long their cold streaks are. See Burakovksy who found the right balance.

Top 9 guys though that spend a fair amount of time on the 3rd pair I think are fine to be extra streaky, as long as they work hard, and are solid defensively when not scoring. So far Malgin has shown he is. ERod while a better all around player is a good example of that.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
No one knows how Bednar sees Compher, my assessment is dull ass Swiss army knife lol. Does just about everything at a level Bednar can rely on.

Then he flashes games where he's ROR somehow.
And there are games where he makes Newhook look like an HOF candidate.

Malgin attacks the puck, and the puck carrier on the other team. JTC watches the puck and reacts late. (Obligatory Malgin content.)

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad