DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Ranking #14

Who is our number 13 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The winner of the the #13 edition is....

D7rKAaxWkAMnt_t.jpg

Oliwer Kaski!

Added Chase Pearson.

1. Filip Zadina - 74.1%
2. Moritz Seider - 64.1%
3. Joe Veleno - 93.1%
4. Jared McIsaac - 62.4%
5. Taro Hirose - 39.6%
6. Jonatan Berggren - 50.5%
7. Filip Larsson - 66%
8. Evgeny Svechnikov - 70.8%
9. Gustav Lindstrom - 39.8%
10. Albert Johansson - 25.3%
11. Robert Mastrosimone - 30.7%
12. Antti Tuomisto - 28.2%
13. Oliwer Kaski - 33.7%

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Were officially at the throw darts and hope they land point in the voting. I could see arguments for Grewe, Regula, Kivenmaki and maybe a couple of these other guys as well here

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Grewe is grossly underrated.

Grossly? I haven’t felt even the slightest bit motivated to vote for him.

I think Bertuzzi has created this fog around prospects of this style. We found a gem in Bertuzzi who has translated very well, but there is a major difference between the two. Bertuzzi’s been as effective as he has because he is an incredibly smart hockey player. He has a feel for the game, how to get his teammates in positions to score, how to get himself in position to score. That’s the biggest knock on Grewe, who probably has better physical tools, is that he is lacking the smarts to make use of his tools.

I personally don’t think he’s underrated at all, but I can understand why someone would...I just wouldn’t jump to “grossly” underrated. We have very deep prospect pool that is lacking the superstar talent up front, but the depth is absolutely there. Him being this low doesn’t mean he is a bad player.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Philips has speed, hockey IQ ,good hands , just need to get some muscle. I can see him going to be second line center with Wings

Christien

May 1, 2010
LOL, someone voted for Givani.
He's not that bad. He actually looked really good in the playoffs for the Griffins. It's to early to give up on him that's for sure, even though I wouldn't vote for him at this point in the polls.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
haven't had the time to participate in these lately but Regula now that Kaski is finally off the board

always been a fan of his(wanted the Wings to draft him before they did) and think he has some underrated upside while also having a fairly decent floor

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Went with Kivenmaki, I know he's a seventh rounder but I love what he's done since being drafted.

I'm surprised Kaski went this early, I'd definitely have Kivenmaki and Regula above him-maybe more.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Went with Kivenmaki, I know he's a seventh rounder but I love what he's done since being drafted.

I'm surprised Kaski went this early, I'd definitely have Kivenmaki and Regula above him-maybe more.
I'm curious about this opinion, and I'm asking from a position of ignorance because all I can really do is look at box scores, but how is it that you like Kivenmaki so much more than Kaski?

Played in same league:
Kivenmaki - 5'8 137 lbs - Forward
34 Games 16 Points -12

Oliwer Kaski - 6'3 187 lbs - Defense
59 Games 51 Points +9
voted the best player in the league.

(and to clarify, we're talking about our #13 prospect. While I voted for Kaski several times in a row, I really don't expect him to have any sort of meaningful NHL career)

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm curious about this opinion, and I'm asking from a position of ignorance because all I can really do is look at box scores, but how is it that you like Kivenmaki so much more than Kaski?

Played in same league:
34 Games 16 Points -12

59 Games 51 Points +9

(and to clarify, we're talking about our #13 prospect. While I voted for Kaski several times in a row, I really don't expect him to have any sort of meaningful NHL career)

I'm chiming in because I have voted for Kivenmaki I believe the last 3 rounds. First, the weight thing seems to be overblown here. He's over 150 (which isn't big) but he has made progress in filling out. Second, Kivenmaki just turned 19 this year and scored in a men's league quite admirably for his age and stature. He has a cunning aspect to his game that allows him to produce; kind of like what I've seen from Hirose in limited viewings.

When I look at Kaski, I see someone who is almost 24, so he's had 5 years of physical and skill development on Kivenmaki, and plays a style of game that I find rather unappealing unless it translates absolutely flawlessly. When I look at what Kaski has done to this point, I immediately jump to Brent Burns. I don't like Brent Burns' game from the blue line. He plays like a offense-first winger, but is given the responsibility of a defenseman role. And a major role at that. The thing about Burns is: he outscores everyone. I would live with his struggles as a defenseman because he has scored at an elite elite level; he has averaged 75 points as a defenseman over the last 4 years. I don't think Kaski will sniff that level of production, and if he can't be an elite producer on the back end, I won't hold him in high regard as a defensive prospect given the nature of his game.

Kaski is a good flyer to take based on production and hope, but I feel like the Kivenmaki was a conscious decision to draft for a reason. I think his game translates extremely well if he can catch up physically.

Reactions: izlez

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Played in same league:
34 Games 16 Points -12

59 Games 51 Points +9

Kaski is certainly more developed than Kivenmaki, but he's also significantly older. Kaski's production this year was great, but I still don't see him as much more than a fringe NHLer, Kivenmaki on the other hand has potential as a top 6 forward. I highly doubt he reaches it but it's there. His shooting, skating, vision and passing are all good projectable skills, it's just a question of whether his size holds him back. Neither is a great prospect, but Kivenmaki has more potential IMO

Reactions: izlez

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kivenmaki and Phillips have the best upside if they can gain some weight and get stronger.

But Grewe is probably safest to make it, because he is someone who can see playing in the bottom 6 and be effective and versatile as far as where he slots.

So I could see a few different guys making sense here. I was going to say add Ryan O'Reilly, but I just noticed he regressed quite a bit from his draft year. I liked him as a draft prospect in his draft year. He went from 21 goals in 45 games to 14 goals in 56 games in his +1 year. Also a little concerned why he has been on 3 teams in 2 years...?

Reactions: lilidk

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Does Hicketts not qualify for some reason any more or have people just 100% given up on him?

Again, not that I have ever been a fan or expect him to have a meaningful NHL career, but I'd sure vote for him above a lot of the guys that are options

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Does Hicketts not qualify for some reason any more or have people just 100% given up on him?

Again, not that I have ever been a fan or expect him to have a meaningful NHL career, but I'd sure vote for him above a lot of the guys that are options
I bet if he was a forward he has more chance to be NHL player.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Grewe is grossly underrated.
Underrated?

He's got a weak shot, and questionable playmaking skills.

Yes intensity and checking are nice, but that screams bottom 6 forward at best. While I rank him among the top to make the NHL from the list, would also put the lowest ceiling.

All reasons why I'd even put Tyutyaev ahead of him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Kivenmaki and Phillips have the best upside if they can gain some weight and get stronger.

But Grewe is probably safest to make it, because he is someone who can see playing in the bottom 6 and be effective and versatile as far as where he slots.

So I could see a few different guys making sense here. I was going to say add Ryan O'Reilly, but I just noticed he regressed quite a bit from his draft year. I liked him as a draft prospect in his draft year. He went from 21 goals in 45 games to 14 goals in 56 games in his +1 year. Also a little concerned why he has been on 3 teams in 2 years...?

I'm interested in seeing a lot more of Grewe. But I was not impressed in any way by his play in the development camp.
He went from being my draft day favorite to falling behind Johansson, Phillips and a few others.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI

Phillips was awesome at dev camp. Quicker and more skilled than I had anticipated. Pumped to see how he fares at BU this year.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad