DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Ranking #14

Who is our number 13 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's not that bad. He actually looked really good in the playoffs for the Griffins. It's to early to give up on him that's for sure, even though I wouldn't vote for him at this point in the polls.
2 assist in 4 games? I didn't watch any of the GRG playoff games, but that's not impressive by any means.

Givani had 13 points in 64 games, I understand he's an AHL rookie, but there aren't many forwards with those kind of stats that wind up in the NHL. Look at any of the other GRG players in their first season:
- Turgeon 18 pts 74 games
- Terry 47 in 80
- Puempel 48 in 74
- Camper 48 in 69
- Megan 17 in 43
- A Holmstrom 26 in 66

His OHL stats aren't much either. Sure he could wind up being a 4th line plug on a checking line because he's physical, but there's no offensive upside at all. Absolutely hated this pick, especially since Girard got picked with the very next pick. There is a reason why Nashville is a better team, boy can they pick defensemen. (Cholowski, Girard, and Hronek would have made 2016 an epic draft for the Wings.)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You expect high point totals from physical bottom6 player and compare him to scoring line players?

Ok. It's August.

high point totals?

how about we start with expecting him to outscore f***ing Brian Lashoff on the same team?

4th line or no there's a certain minimum level of offensive contribution you need to hit at lower levels or you're flat out never sticking in the NHL at all

maybe he improves on that the next couple years but I wouldn't hold my breath he wasn't even good in juniors

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
high point totals?

how about we start with expecting him to outscore ****ing Brian Lashoff on the same team?

4th line or no there's a certain minimum level of offensive contribution you need to hit at lower levels or you're flat out never sticking in the NHL at all

maybe he improves on that the next couple years but I wouldn't hold my breath he wasn't even good in juniors

Smith?
Smith makes my top 20 prospects. Only because every time I see him, he's f***ing awesome. I'm concerned with his stats (and his lack of progress in juniors)
Not sure he's got the speed to be a PK or energy line guy. But the dude hits and works the corners and charges his way to the net.
He plays the big man's game pretty well. He seems to up his game in the playoffs, when the wallflowers fade.

That said, Smith has to make strides this year.
He needs to go about 15-15-30 to keep me interested. Truth is, i think he might be able to surpass that.

Does anyone know who are centers in Grand Rapids are next season?
Veleno.
Turgeon (if waived).
Will Pearson be a center?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Smith?
Smith makes my top 20 prospects. Only because every time I see him, he's ****ing awesome. I'm concerned with his stats (and his lack of progress in juniors)
Not sure he's got the speed to be a PK or energy line guy. But the dude hits and works the corners and charges his way to the net.
He plays the big man's game pretty well. He seems to up his game in the playoffs, when the wallflowers fade.

That said, Smith has to make strides this year.
He needs to go about 15-15-30 to keep me interested. Truth is, i think he might be able to surpass that.

Does anyone know who are centers in Grand Rapids are next season?
Veleno.
Turgeon (if waived).
Will Pearson be a center?
I believe Pearson will be playing center. Other than Veleno & Turgeon, there's Wade Megan & Tyler Spezia (on a GRG contract). Maybe Ehn or DLR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You expect high point totals from physical bottom6 player and compare him to scoring line players?

Ok. It's August.
How's this:
Clutterbuck 24 pts in 73 games
Abby 52/76
Back Hand Luke 26/51

Witkowski 12/76 with 204 PIM

So his points total compare with Witter more than anyone else I could find. The only role he could possibly serve is enforcer. Even a 4th line PKing grinder like Luke can score more than Smith, last year Luke had more points in the NHL than Givani had in the A.

Being able to hit someone isn't enough to make the NHL full time. Can't believe Holland used a 2nd on this guy.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
crap I should have looked at the list in the GRG thread
C Joe Veleno
C Michael Rasmussen (?)
C Dominik Turgeon
C Chase Pearson
C Gregor MacLeod
C/RW Dominik Shine

Ehn or DLR (?)

Ad

Upcoming events