Speculation: Drouin

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
This is a crazy thought but if we acquired Drouin I would consider putting him with the 3rd line and keep Shaw where he is at for now.

65-19-81
72-15-88
JD-24-86
11-16-70-JS-RP-etc.

Here is my reasoning: This would easy JD into our system and also give 86-24 a line mate with high end skill like their own. We would then be rolling 3 high scoring lines and defensive 4th line. Thoughts?

It would give the ops fits, since we'd be the only team with three # 1 lines. :laugh: It kinda makes me drool.

BratislavaBlackhawk

Dec 28, 2015
Bratislava, Slovakia
This is a crazy thought but if we acquired Drouin I would consider putting him with the 3rd line and keep Shaw where he is at for now.

65-19-81
72-15-88
JD-24-86
11-16-70-JS-RP-etc.

Here is my reasoning: This would easy JD into our system and also give 86-24 a line mate with high end skill like their own. We would then be rolling 3 high scoring lines and defensive 4th line. Thoughts?

Have you missed why he asked for the trade? 3rd line minutes ain't good enough for His Highness, he'd have to start on the 1st line.

Oh, and he wouldn't like to get injured, so no hard match-ups, please.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Have you missed why he asked for the trade? 3rd line minutes ain't good enough for His Highness, he'd have to start on the 1st line.

Oh, and he wouldn't like to get injured, so no hard match-ups, please.

You may not realize that the Hawks 3rd line plays a decent amount and has high skill players. This is not playing 3rd line with plugs.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The Hawks aren't going to trade for him. Dano was banished for a very long time for the little stunt he pulled. Q just ordered the code red on a player who overslept. Now you think Q wants a kid who complained being on the 3rd line, demands a trade through the media, and conveniently misses an AHL game on without performing? Drouin is a great talent ... but not right for the Hawks.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He might, and probably will turn it around with whatever team gets him, but it won't and shouldn't be here. This is a team in win now mode with a great, championship focused core. No need to roll the dice on a guy who needs to be coddled with top line ice time without having to earn it or play a two way game and is more focused on himself than the team.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah I'd be really surprised if Bowman makes a move for this kid Bringing in an underperforming and egotistical player who has done nothing to warrant making the demands he has seems like something Stan, and especially McD would stay far away from.

I think the locker room and team chemistry has always been an important value of this organization so I'd doubt they'd deliberately bring in someone so potentially toxic to that.

Also like someone just posted, Q got rid of Dano for one terrible shift (reflective of poor attitude). He wouldn't put up with any of that nonsense from Drouin

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yeah I'd be really surprised if Bowman makes a move for this kid Bringing in an underperforming and egotistical player who has done nothing to warrant making the demands he has seems like something Stan, and especially McD would stay far away from.

I think the locker room and team chemistry has always been an important value of this organization so I'd doubt they'd deliberately bring in someone so potentially toxic to that.

Also like someone just posted, Q got rid of Dano for one terrible shift (reflective of poor attitude). He wouldn't put up with any of that nonsense from Drouin

They also picked up Ray Emery, who was essentially a pariah in the NHL at the time for his locker-room behavior.

It's a case by case basis, and I doubt a player's previous behavior has as much impact on their decision as a) can they help the team, b) do they understand this is a fresh start, and c) whether they feel the leadership group can straighten them out.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
It's a case by case basis, and I doubt a player's previous behavior has as much impact on their decision as a) can they help the team, b) do they understand this is a fresh start, and c) whether they feel the leadership group can straighten them out.

Bingo. This team likely has a strong enough room to straighten him out if there's any issues.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They also picked up Ray Emery, who was essentially a pariah in the NHL at the time for his locker-room behavior.

A lot of what you say is right (case by case scenario) ... but there's a huge difference between Emery and Drouin. Emery's problems stemmed from a terrible temper on the ice. He was a fighter who took it too far. By the time he got to the Hawks, Emery worked his butt off from a career threatening disease ... even being nominated for a Masterton multiple times.

Drouin on the other hand is purposely sitting out ... demanding a trade because he feels entitled to a top 6 position on a Stanley Cup caliber team. It's been a lot of off ice drama with Drouin.

The Hawks do have the lockerroom presence to mentor Drouin. But it won't be much different from the Lightning. He's going to have to EARN time on the top 6 ... something he wasn't able to handle at Tampa. Emery on the other hand had a tryout with the Hawks and EARNED a contract. And Q never has a problem with players who'll work for ice time.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Drouin on the Hawks. But the risk / reward has to be appealing. Yzerman has to give us a discount for the Hawks to even consider the move. All indications are that the Lightning want a bounty.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Confidence from being jacked around and playing 2 regular season games in 2016?:laugh:

Have you ever heard Bobby Mac or other TSN guys talk about him? He oozes confidence and has done so since juniors. I would argue that by doing what he did showed how confident he is in his ability.

If TT had that he would be a completely different player but I still think he proves the naysayers wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad