Speculation: Drouin

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Have you ever heard Bobby Mac or other TSN guys talk about him? He oozes confidence and has done so since juniors. I would argue that by doing what he did showed how confident he is in his ability.

If TT had that he would be a completely different player but I still think he proves the naysayers wrong.

Gotcha.

They certainly have 2 different personalities, I certainly like the former not the latter style.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think TT is the better player right now. But obviously these players aren't done growing. I think Drouins ceiling is much higher than TT's, and I think he has a much better chance of reaching that ceiling than TT has reaching his.

I would do TT for Drouin all day. I wouldn't add much more though.

I think I would add a bit more, now that I am seeing Drouin play a bit more.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Its irrelevant now. Tampa isnt trading Drouin now that Stamkos is leaving, and even if they did, the Hawks dont have the assets to throw at them to make it happen.

The NHL had their chance, and GMs clutched their pearls over 'attitude issues' instead of making a move. Their loss.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Its irrelevant now. Tampa isnt trading Drouin now that Stamkos is leaving, and even if they did, the Hawks dont have the assets to throw at them to make it happen.

The NHL had their chance, and GMs clutched their pearls over 'attitude issues' instead of making a move. Their loss.

I agree, Drouin may still want out though, there is an outside chance. But not sure I would want to get into the bidding war that would occur now that he has proven himself.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I wanted Drouin all along, but I get why Bowman wouldn't pull the trigger on him. It was certainly risky at the time. I wonder if he'll actually stay with Tampa though, he might still want to leave out of spite. If we could somehow get him, Kane, Panarin, Toews and Drouin would be an insanely skilled Top 6, no matter who plays with them.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I wanted Drouin all along, but I get why Bowman wouldn't pull the trigger on him. It was certainly risky at the time. I wonder if he'll actually stay with Tampa though, he might still want to leave out of spite. If we could somehow get him, Kane, Panarin, Toews and Drouin would be an insanely skilled Top 6, no matter who plays with them.

Pull the trigger? There was never even a report that there was a trade in place. Yes he was on the block but lets no be foolish and imagine that Stan had an offer and said no.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Pull the trigger? There was never even a report that there was a trade in place. Yes he was on the block but lets no be foolish and imagine that Stan had an offer and said no.
Badly worded, I don't think I heard anything even resembling a rumour either. Point is that I get why Bowman wasn't interested, he hadn't shown all that much in the NHL prior to this postseason, and his attitude doesn't seem to be the best still. And I do think it is important for a player to have the right attitude for a pro. People said the same thing about Kane, but for all his faults off the ice, he never let it impact his performances on it, while Drouin gave the impression of being entitled, which can actually lead to players throwing their career away.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Dano + Pokka. Dano is a good talent but Drouin is better. Pokka is also good but won't get a chance here, we prefer 40 year olds on D.

I obviously don't know if this would have gotten it done but I posted this in January. Anybody who still wouldn't do that trade? ;)

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I obviously don't know if this would have gotten it done but I posted this in January. Anybody who still wouldn't do that trade? ;)
Considering how thin we are on defense, I'd actually still hesitate :laugh: But I'd definitely have done Dano+, even Schmaltz probably, in hindsight. Drouin is insanely talented.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Post from January:
When I see Drouin, I see a guy whose legs and hands are too fast for his head right now. If he can slow things down a touch, he'll be 20-40 in this league..which the chance to be an 80 pt player. I would trade a big chunk to get him ... Dano, Schmaltz, Forsling, Hartman are all a part of the conversation..

Basically.. When a player like Turris or Drouin become available you don't give the other team time to make up with that player.

OH well

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Schmaltz+ for Drouin is a no brainer for the Blackhawks. Just not sure it would be enough mid-season, let alone now.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Schmaltz+ for Drouin is a no brainer for the Blackhawks. Just not sure it would be enough mid-season, let alone now.
If Schmaltz ends up impressing in pre-season and makes the team, it might be enough. I'd be tempted to give either him or TT up, as they're both highly skilled center prospects with high ceilings and low floors and we really need help on either the wings, where one of them might end up being a good option, or on the backend.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
If Schmaltz ends up impressing in pre-season and makes the team, it might be enough. I'd be tempted to give either him or TT up, as they're both highly skilled center prospects with high ceilings and low floors and we really need help on either the wings, where one of them might end up being a good option, or on the backend.

Not sure about TT, but if Schmaltz impresses Stevie Y for ANY reason and he's willing to trade Drouin for him plus whatever sweetener, then Stan better be SPRINTING for the fax machine to get that trade done.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Not sure about TT, but if Schmaltz impresses Stevie Y for ANY reason and he's willing to trade Drouin for him plus whatever sweetener, then Stan better be SPRINTING for the fax machine to get that trade done.
Any scenario about there being a choice between TT and Schmaltz, or Schmaltz being a viable option for any trade, is purely hypothetical on the basis of him actually impressing in the NHL. He's a skilled guy, who knows, maybe he takes the league by storm next season. If he's actually on the team that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad