Drouin at C - Why is this a thing?

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Can someone explain to me why its just assumed that Drouin can step right in and be a top line C?

How much centre has he played professionally? As an amateur? How is he at faceoffs? What, besides being a forward and the lack of options in Montreal qualifies him to be there?
In there mind, you have a choice to crumble or to try Drouin at C. What do you pick? But.. maybe at some point they (HABS managment) wake up and put Drouin on Galchenyuk's wing. Can it really be worse?

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Can someone explain to me why its just assumed that Drouin can step right in and be a top line C?

How much centre has he played professionally? As an amateur? How is he at faceoffs? What, besides being a forward and the lack of options in Montreal qualifies him to be there?

He speaks french and plays for Montreal, which is pretty much license to play wherever he wants. It's sort of like having super powers. He's probably next in line to replace Therien (and Youppi) too.

Reactions: Deku

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
So I can claim to be the guy who sleeps with supermodels until it's proven I haven't?

You want to be a 1C you don't become one by proclamation. You become a 1c by playing like a 1c, something droin hadn't EVER done at the NHL level.

He might ultimately turn into a 1c but if I had a magic eight ball it would say " evidence says no".

I'm not saying he's a proven 1st line center, but right now he's playing as first line center.

Like I said, I'd like to see 25-30 games out of him at center before I make any decisions

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He looks good at center
Hasn't produced much yet, but he's creating a lot of chances.
Just a matter of time before his teammates convert on his passes.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Marketing.

That's all there is to it. Drouin is the hot shiny new toy, francophone of course, so he's being pushed for all he's worth to be one of the new faces of the franchise.

Once you understand that the Montreal Canadiens are much, much more concerned about their brand, their image, than about the actual on-ice performance of their hockey team, a lot of what they have done over the past couple of decades fits into place.

'Tis why they're a mediocre mess and destined for nothing better any time soon.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Marketing.

That's all there is to it. Drouin is the hot shiny new toy, francophone of course, so he's being pushed for all he's worth to be one of the new faces of the franchise.

Once you understand that the Montreal Canadiens are much, much more concerned about their brand, their image, than about the actual on-ice performance of their hockey team, a lot of what they have done over the past couple of decades fits into place.

'Tis why they're a mediocre mess and destined for nothing better any time soon.

I don't disagree with your premise, but it would seem to me having Drouin scoring more points on the wing would generate more buzz than shoehorning him in at C.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I don't disagree with your premise, but it would seem to me having Drouin scoring more points on the wing would generate more buzz than shoehorning him in at C.
Bergevin's had so many years to address the #1C problem and failed utterly. If they tried to market Drouin as a winger, everyone gets to beat up on him for his continual failure to land or groom (*coughGalechenyukcough*) a #1C. Move Drouin to C. Presto! Problem solved, he got his #1C!

Again, all about the image.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bergevin's had so many years to address the #1C problem and failed utterly. If they tried to market Drouin as a winger, everyone gets to beat up on him for his continual failure to land or groom (*coughGalechenyukcough*) a #1C. Move Drouin to C. Presto! Problem solved, he got his #1C!

Again, all about the image.

Yeah, I'd say get rid of MB but when you look at it that way, he's probably locked in for a long time because he's hitting home runs bringing in French-Canadian coaches and players, resigning Price, bringing in a HOF D-man and Team Canada star. Poor Montreal fans.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Montreal will hit 25 years without a Stanley Cup come June, and they're not trending in the direction that will end that drought any time soon. Poor Montreal fans, indeed.

Brownies

I'm so tired of all the negativity concerning the habs. They traded Subban and are left with a hole or two at D ant they don't have a true #1 C. We got the memo thanks. How many damn teams don't have a good #1 C and don't receive half of this condescending crap. Carolina and Buffalo fans are laughing of this team from i don't know what pedestal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm so tired of all the negativity concerning the habs. They traded Subban and are left with a hole or two at D ant they don't have a true #1 C. We got the memo thanks. How many damn teams don't have a good #1 C and don't receive half of this condescending crap. Carolina and Buffalo fans are laughing of this team from i don't know what pedestal.
I don't get why Buffalo fans are laughing either. You guys have no 1c and made the playoffs last year. They have a 1c and...well....

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, I'd say get rid of MB but when you look at it that way, he's probably locked in for a long time because he's hitting home runs bringing in French-Canadian coaches and players, resigning Price, bringing in a HOF D-man and Team Canada star. Poor Montreal fans.

We were lucky to get Julien, although he hasn’t impressed very many so far. He’s playing a system that’s completely draining an already offensively starved team. But Price and Weber came at two high of a Price. And that’s referring to Price’s contract and who was traded to get Weber.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I've watched him play since he was 16 years old. He is a good centre. Calm your self buddy.

"Good Center", how' are those Jr. games panning out for you over me watching him play 150+ games as a winger in the NHL.

Guys a very good winger, anyone who argued otherwise was completely clueless about him as a player.

But playmaking, vision, skating!!!!

Reactions: The Macho Man

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I actually find this thread pretty hilarious, and it's gonna get better through the season as Drouin keeps racking up points. Please, don't close it! Actually, merge it with the "OMG Drouin added 15 lbs of fat" thread. It's gonna be awesome!

It really is hilarious how accurate the opinions of people who watched him play are vs the habs fans who watched highlight videos. Hiarlious indeed, unless you're a habs fan that is.

Where you at bud?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Montreal will hit 25 years without a Stanley Cup come June, and they're not trending in the direction that will end that drought any time soon. Poor Montreal fans, indeed.
Actually things have to get worse before they get better if Chicago, Pittsburgh los Angeles or Toronto are any indication, so maybe this is finally a move in the right direction instead of the typical 4% odds of winning the cup without a superstar.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He looks good at center
Hasn't produced much yet, but he's creating a lot of chances.
Just a matter of time before his teammates convert on his passes.

He would look much more amazing on the wing. He doesn’t have the tools to be a center at this level, atleast from what he’s shown. He’ll give you some points playing there with skill, but his 200 foot game is awful.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs don't have a #1 center since Koivu, even Damphousse.

Both Drouin and Galchenyuk are wingers. They cannot win faceoffs, nor play good defensively in their own zone.

genowgg

Dec 10, 2017
7 goals, 13 assists, 29 hits, 16 blocked shots for Sergachev in 29 games. 19 years old. 1st contract.
5 goals, 12 assists, 23 hits, 9 blocked shots for Drouin in 26 games. 22 years old. Already in 2nd contract.

Looks like Yzerman took advantage of Bergevin on this one.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
7 goals, 13 assists, 29 hits, 16 blocked shots for Sergachev in 29 games. 19 years old. 1st contract.
5 goals, 12 assists, 23 hits, 9 blocked shots for Drouin in 26 games. 22 years old. Already in 2nd contract.

Looks like Yzerman took advantage of Bergevin on this one.

One player is playing on the most offensively inept team in the league whos best player is a goalie, the other is playing on the most dangerous offense in the league with more superstars than they know what to do with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad