Drouin at C - Why is this a thing?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The Habs need to figure out their top 6 and fast. That may require a trade sooner rather than later if neither Galchenuuk nor Drouin can be their #1C.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He will get atleast 70 points this year. IMO
So let's recap.

Player trying new position on a more defensive team suddenly jumps out and improves on his career best by 17 points.

Do you think it is possible you are being a bit overly optimistic?

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
It's hard to say whether they have the right package to make the trade, but I just don't see how they can expect to contend without a #1C.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Can anyone give an impartial review of how he's done at C so far?

I never knew Droin to give a crap defensively, nor did I think he was supposed to be any kind of great skater, those two qualities are pretty important to have a center actually PLAY the center position.

For those who don't know, traditionally the center comes back as the third defenseman, more than any other player C's are required to play a 200 ft. game. A big reason why most of the best players were traditionally put there from a young age.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think if a different trade were to happen between both teams and I think a better trade would have been Johnson + for Sergachev. Habs get a proven #1 center and TB gets a talented young D. I would have been hesitant to do it from TBs pov but long run would be ok with it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I never knew Droin to give a crap defensively, nor did I think he was supposed to be any kind of great skater, those two qualities are pretty important to have a center actually PLAY the center position.

For those who don't know, traditionally the center comes back as the third defenseman, more than any other player C's are required to play a 200 ft. game. A big reason why most of the best players were traditionally put there from a young age.

He tries to play defensively but he isn't very good unless it involves a footrace, I'm not sure why you don't think Drouin is a great skater, hes incredibly shifty and is one of the fastest skaters in the league. You don't need a 200 ft game to play C... look at the best centers of all time.. first and foremost you need vision and to be able to read plays, Drouin has exceptional playmaking abilities which is why people think he'd be an easy swap to center.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

After three games , " is it bad ??" " its not good"
He has been about the same or slightly worse than galchenyuk, but for reasons no one can pin down, he doesnt seem to be getting the same criticisms nor has management seemingly lost confidence in him. His lollygagging in front of the net directly led to the rangers second goal.

why he is immune from criticism and galchenyuk was a whipping boy demoted to the third and fourth lines is likely one of the worlds great mysteries that no one will ever solve. Its a riddle wrapped up in a mystery inside an enigma. whatever the cause, the habs still dont have a real 1C Drouin or not.

but its only been three games, i'm sure that all of the center skills that he hasn't used since junior are just waiting to bust out. just a matter of time.

But I'm not impartial so take it with a grain of salt.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

He's actually a very good skater. He gives an effort defensively. His positioning isn't perfect and he sometimes looks a little lost, but has generally been good enough.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
So let's recap.

Player trying new position on a more defensive team suddenly jumps out and improves on his career best by 17 points.

Do you think it is possible you are being a bit overly optimistic?

You could also look at it as: offensively talented young player gets offensive opportunity he was never given in previous situation. Depends what way you spin it... 65ish points I think

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not really, I would quite easily prefer Drouin to Duchene. Where we really missed out was letting Radulov walk
neither radulov nor drouin play center which is was and will be for the forseeable future our biggest hole to fill.

at last years post mortem no one said " what we really really need is another undersised talented winger to put us over the hump". no one.

1C/LD. We had assets to get one of them but we squandered them to get a guy with skills that we really didnt need so we are stuck with putting our newly acquired asset in a position he has not played since junior and we all get to sit watch and hope for the best.

without a 1C ( and no drouin does not count) we are doomed. Price might win us enough games to sneak into the playoffs but that's about as far as it will go.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
neither radulov nor drouin play center which is was and will be for the forseeable future our biggest hole to fill.

at last years post mortem no one said " what we really really need is another undersised talented winger to put us over the hump". no one.

1C/LD. We had assets to get one of them but we squandered them to get a guy with skills that we really didnt need so we are stuck with putting our newly acquired asset in a position he has not played since junior and we all get to sit watch and hope for the best.

without a 1C ( and no drouin does not count) we are doomed. Price might win us enough games to sneak into the playoffs but that's about as far as it will go.

Drouin counts until he's proven he can't be a 1C, he's been fine thus far.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think if a different trade were to happen between both teams and I think a better trade would have been Johnson + for Sergachev. Habs get a proven #1 center and TB gets a talented young D. I would have been hesitant to do it from TBs pov but long run would be ok with it.
Tyler Johnson is not a proven #1 centre. He's a 2nd line centre.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Drouin counts until he's proven he can't be a 1C, he's been fine thus far.
fine by what metric ? David deharnais played our first line center and HE wasnt a 1C either.

He looks lost out there and his mistakes with the puck and without it end up in the back of out net. There is ZERO proof that he knows how to play center much less be a real 1C other than hope. Could he be a great center ? Sure that's a possibility. And its also possible that from tomorrow on out mark streit wont suck out loud 100% of the time.

If being the first line center makes you a 1C, then we should have been happy with Danault who is right now more suited to the position than Drouin is.

If the expectiation is that he's anything about a dumpster fire to be fine, that's a very low bar and even then its not sure he clears it. He might be the 4th best center on the habs ( behind danault, turtleneck and galchenyuk).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's 3 games into a position he's yet to play at the NHL level. I'm giving him a bit of an adjustment period before we pull the rug out from this experiment entirely

I'm not saying give up on it, just saying how is he a proven #1? because he plays the role?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'm not saying give up on it, just saying how is he a proven #1? because he plays the role?

I never said he is, he's going to either prove that he can play there or he can't, but I'll refer to him as the 1C until he gets moved from that position or clearly can't handle it

Reactions: Sky04

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I never said he is, he's going to either prove that he can play there or he can't, but I'll refer to him as the 1C until he gets moved from that position or clearly can't handle it
So I can claim to be the guy who sleeps with supermodels until it's proven I haven't?

You want to be a 1C you don't become one by proclamation. You become a 1c by playing like a 1c, something droin hadn't EVER done at the NHL level.

He might ultimately turn into a 1c but if I had a magic eight ball it would say " evidence says no".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad