Drop the gloves

• Thread starter Bi Coastal Bawse*
  • Start date

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Am I the only one who thinks the Bruins still need a player who can play and drop the gloves?

Lucic and Campbell are gone
Rinaldo is undersized
McQuaid can't fight everyone

Hopefully Randell is in this teams plans

If they do a trade with Blues I hope Reaves is somewhere in it

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Whatever will this team do without Campbell to get beat up while down 3-0? While I will always applaud his willingness, Campbell was not a fighter. What is his fight record, 2-40-20?
Look around a division, is a true heavyweight even needed. Lucic didn't fight anyone of consequence all year. Detroit has no one to fight. Tampa has an AHL scrub they can call up. Florida has Thornton but he won't fight any of the Bruins skilled guys anyways, Buffalo has Kane but he only gets in 1-2 fights a year. They can't sew the gloves on tight enough on Montreal. Ottawa has a few guys but nothing that is really needed to worry about. Lastly is Toronto and who gives a **** about them, they'll be battling for bottom 5.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Looch 'used to' fight.
Campbell was a speedbag.

In the list of things to worry about with this team this is low man on the totem pole IMO.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Campbell had heart
Lucic used to fight more

Habs getting Kassian is kinda concerning

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Fighting skill is becoming less and less relevant in this league, for better or worse. Rinaldo + Quaider is more than enough

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Only fight I can remember Kassian being a beast in really was against Rousel

Still don't see the problem with getting someone who can skate and fight

All for signing Big Mac and stashing him in Providence

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Campbell had heart
Lucic used to fight more

Habs getting Kassian is kinda concerning

got Kassian, but lost Prust.

I think having a bunch of guys that hit and play physical nowadays is more important than having a bunch of guys that fight.

I think Randall will push at camp; and Ferlin can play physical.

I'm more concerned with who plays defense on this team though.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Fighting skill is becoming less and less relevant in this league, for better or worse. Rinaldo + Quaider is more than enough

True last years fights had a lot of no names and guys who didn't fight that much.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Kassian is an average fighter at best, he doesn't scare me one bit. Fighting is slowly being ebbed out of the game. I think we have all we need going forward, not a concern for me.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
If only the Bruin's could scout from the RBL.......Rocky Balboa League, maybe we could find a gem of a fighter...

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.

Now Clode screams out Greggggooooorrrrrrrrrry!!! but he realizes that he ain't with us any more......Mmm Mmm Bad.....Not!!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
In today's NHL, you don't need a real enforcer, just a bunch of guys who are willing to drop the gloves when needed.

Chara, Miller, McQuaid, Beleskey, and Rinaldo are all willing. We won't scare anyone, but up and down the lineup we have good size, toughness, and willingness to crash the net and play hard along the boards. I'll take that.

Iceman12

Nov 22, 2014
Very happy with the off season moves to address this obvious need to address this team's lack of grit/toughness from last year. Sweeney has really tried to regain our identity when also considering the draft, bodes well for the future as well.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I agree, i'm much more fine than I was after this season ended. I figured we'd lose both McQuaid and Lucic and then pick up no one for the 4th line.

I'm as pro-fighting as anyone, and i'm OK with what their starting lineup will look like. You have a guy like Rinaldo, who yes, is undersized but he brings some solid hitting. The amount of heavies in this league has dropped dramatically, so a guy like McQuaid will probably be in the top 10-12ish, and like you said, we have Beleskey, who isn't a great fighter but can definitely chuck them every now and then.

Miller, who will see some time on the back end is another decent fighter who throws pretty heavy.

They're much better than I thought they'd be at the end of this season.

Fighting:
McQuaid B+
Rinaldo B (Size) - If he was 6'2, 200+ he would be knocking guys on their rear end
Miller B (Heavy hands)
Beleskey C
Chara C (Size)

+
Randell (B+)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We have much bigger problems on this team than this.

-zero 1st line wingers
-1top pairing D missing+1 2nd pairing D missing
-speed(especially in the D group, if the prospects can't step up)
-team full of bottom6/3rd pairing players, so I hope getting a fighter isn't our priority number1.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
The worst kind of caller to sportstalk radio is the guy who calls up and says the Bruins problem is that they don't drop the gloves enough. It keeps happening.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

I don't think we need to carry a heavy in-division right now but could pick up some toughness going through LA etc.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I can see it now; McQuaid and Kassian get into a scrap, and Kassian blows out his back mid fight.

Kassian is like McQuaid; sorta made out of glass.

Saying McQuaid is made of glass is sorta like saying you don't actually watch Bruins games. The guy throws himself in front of pucks and opponents with reckless abandon.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I see Brett Gallant signed with Columbus. He would have been nice to have on the Bruins, guy's a tough SOB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad