Rumor: Driedger not returning to Florida, will test UFA market. Where does he end up?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers will probably be interested. It doesn't sound like Koskinen is going to be back. :vhappy:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Would prefer Ullmark (or if we wanna go big - Grubauer) instead but wouldn’t mind getting Driedger as long as it’s not more than a 2 year deal.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
There's always Buffalo but I don't see that as a prime destination unless they massively overpay. Can't count out Seattle.

I could potentially see Pittsburgh as a dark horse, to platoon with Jarry knowing he'd have a solid shot at taking the starting job, and Pens might want to see if getting another goalie jump starts Jarry again.

Sharks also seem like a good possibility because if they don't add someone he's a guaranteed starter there.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd take him in Toronto to back-up Campbell at a reasonable price. I think Campbell is Toronto's guy though and Driedger may find an easier route to the starting position and more money somewhere else.

I'm interested in seeing his contract given his limited number of games played at the NHL level.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Even if FLA were to play Knight in the AHL next season, it's just a matter of time before Knight lands in the NHL, likely by 22-23 season he's there to start the season. Thus, no point in him returning to FLA.

Sample size still limited, but we saw from 2015, the goalie movement that off-season with Talbot going to EDM, Lehner going to Buf, Lack going to CAR, and Jones going from LA to Bos to SJ, it doesn't always work out for the team taking a shot on a inexperienced goalie. Darling was a flop in CAR as well.

Teams that would consider him where he would get a shot at #1 job would be SEA, EDM, CHI, DET, TOR, BOS (though I think they would bring Rask back). The other teams have a goalie signed for decent money.

Freddie Andersen is the most experienced guy going to free agency who is likely to land as a starter. Dubnyk, Bernier unlikely to be considered #1. More of a veteran backup to a younger goalie as insurance.

Can’t imagine Boston isn’t running a Rask/Swayman duo next year.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'd take him in Toronto to back-up Campbell at a reasonable price. I think Campbell is Toronto's guy though and Driedger may find an easier route to the starting position and more money somewhere else.

I'm interested in seeing his contract given his limited number of games played at the NHL level.
He's not signing to be a reasonably priced backup.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think he signs with a team where he is in a tandem as a prove it for a year or 2. Cause we still don't know if he can be a starter for a full season. But if thevoilers can get rid of Koskinen I could see them rolling a Driedger - Smith tandem.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Even if FLA were to play Knight in the AHL next season, it's just a matter of time before Knight lands in the NHL, likely by 22-23 season he's there to start the season. Thus, no point in him returning to FLA.

Sample size still limited, but we saw from 2015, the goalie movement that off-season with Talbot going to EDM, Lehner going to Buf, Lack going to CAR, and Jones going from LA to Bos to SJ, it doesn't always work out for the team taking a shot on a inexperienced goalie. Darling was a flop in CAR as well.

Teams that would consider him where he would get a shot at #1 job would be SEA, EDM, CHI, DET, TOR, BOS (though I think they would bring Rask back). The other teams have a goalie signed for decent money.

Freddie Andersen is the most experienced guy going to free agency who is likely to land as a starter. Dubnyk, Bernier unlikely to be considered #1. More of a veteran backup to a younger goalie as insurance.
Ullmark should be considered a number 1

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
PIT might make a run at him as a platoon option with Jarry. Lord knows their goaltending wasn't good enough this post season

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Edmonton likely will have interest. Young Western Canadian guy who is close in age with the rest of the core. Could be a decent tandem with Smith.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't be shocked if Calgary looked at him for the backup position, they should be pretty familiar with him as he played 3 seasons with the Hitmen.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Probably have to sign a one year prove it contract but if someone chalks up the money he'll take it and run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad