Rumor: Driedger not returning to Florida, will test UFA market. Where does he end up?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I put rumor just because it's not been announced but everyone knows it's Bob and Knight in Florida next year. What will Chris Driedger get as a UFA, and where. He was very good but started on a downward trend the last month of the season and was terrible in the playoffs. I hope he secures the bag but I'm getting some Andrew Hammond vibes with him.

7nYkf1Y.png

Reactions: NB613

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
This guy imo was the reason the Panthers started the season so well.
Hopefully he gets a good deal!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even if FLA were to play Knight in the AHL next season, it's just a matter of time before Knight lands in the NHL, likely by 22-23 season he's there to start the season. Thus, no point in him returning to FLA.

Sample size still limited, but we saw from 2015, the goalie movement that off-season with Talbot going to EDM, Lehner going to Buf, Lack going to CAR, and Jones going from LA to Bos to SJ, it doesn't always work out for the team taking a shot on a inexperienced goalie. Darling was a flop in CAR as well.

Teams that would consider him where he would get a shot at #1 job would be SEA, EDM, CHI, DET, TOR, BOS (though I think they would bring Rask back). The other teams have a goalie signed for decent money.

Freddie Andersen is the most experienced guy going to free agency who is likely to land as a starter. Dubnyk, Bernier unlikely to be considered #1. More of a veteran backup to a younger goalie as insurance.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Nice stats in a very small career sample size. Going to be interestig to see if anyone thinks he can be a #1 and offers a bigger contract. I assume Toronto and Edmonton could be interested.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If we sign him through our exclusive FA window, he becomes our pick from florida.

They can agree to a contract and leave it until after the draft.

What I would do is get him to agree, then get Florida to throw a pick to protect someone like Forsling. Then sign him during the window.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yeah Bernier will probably be back after the expansion draft, but Driedger would be my 2nd choice if a deal with Bernier were to fall through.

You think so? I could see Bernier wanting to try to win a cup somewhere in a 1A/B situation. I think we're going to see some goalie musical chairs this offseason.

Mrazek leaves Carolina to chase a full starter's salary and workload (Buffalo/Edmonton/Seattle). Driedger obviously leaves Florida, maybe for somewhere like Chicago or Detroit picking money over situation. Bernier ends up somewhere like Carolina to platoon with Ned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad