Confirmed with Link: Drew O'Connor re-signed, 2x925k

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We got Ty Smith for about 150k lighter than I expected so it all pans out.

Trade Desmith. Drop Ruh and Nylander down and you are cap compliant.

Dubas has played with a shortened line up for years.

I don’t they’re planning to trade CDS…I think they signed all these goalies for competition…if CDS isnt the best backup after training camp, he’ll be traded or waived but that won’t happen before camp and only if he’s not the best option….so I think (hope) there a better plan than that

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Does DOC face any locker room flak for allowing his negotiation go to arbitration thereby affording management another buyout opportunity? Like I bet he’s not going be best buds with Granlund.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
About what I expected to see O'Connor get, I like that it's 2 years instead of 1 year. Now just gotta see the outcome (if any) of this.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, it's pretty much what I expected. I said $875 or 900k. The extra $25k, hell good for him. The buyout window is the main event here. I assume the next 5 days, there will be an extreme push on the EK front. I think it's shit or get off the pot time for SJS.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Does DOC face any locker room flak for allowing his negotiation go to arbitration thereby affording management another buyout opportunity? Like I bet he’s not going be best buds with Granlund.

I'd have thought the reaction would be it's just business. You expect other guys to look after themselves. It's not like Granlund didn't elect for arbitration himself back during the day.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well the good news is we’re rolling two 4th lines so he should get some time on one of them.
I have no problem with him being a regular on our 4th line.

I just do not expect or hope that he can fill a spot in the top 6.

I also do not believe in playing youth just for the sake of it. You have to put the young players in a situation that are equiped to succeed in.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I have no problem with him being a regular on our 4th line.

I just do not expect or hope that he can fill a spot in the top 6.

I don't think anyone worth listening to is really saying that, though?

I just look at him as potentially cheap bottom six depth. So... ya know... you don't have to sign the Lars friggin' Ellers of the world for like 2.5M

Oh hell who am I kidding this team still would.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Meh about as whatever of player as there is but it’s better than paying for dorks like Brock McGinn

Now if Sullivan stops holding DOC back and puts him with Malkin all season he might score 20 points this year.
Agree—DOC is like ZAR without the offensive flair.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well the good news is we’re rolling two 4th lines so he should get some time on one of them.

That's some unnecessarily savage truth telling.

Anyway, I like DOC. I think there's a middle ground here but I like him.

He's got tools and a willingness to use them but it's been a slow road to consistently using them for an interesting impact.

2 points in his first 14 games isn't great isn't great but 9 in the next 32 is starting to be mildly interesting, particularly with his usage.

If you start to break it down his numbers make him look wasteful at converting chances, but his highlights look good. Not a lot of cheap points - I think the breakout pass that results in Pettersson's goal vs St Louis is about the only one that feels like an easy point, but it's still necessary and a good play. Not a whole lot of racking up points on beaten opponents either - turning a 2 goal lead late into a 3 late in the 3rd against the Wild is as close as it gets.

Interesting range of contributions too. You'll see him plays from his zone, make plays behind the net, burst pass guys for grade A chances, there's an assist from shooting from range, there's some on the doorstep plays...

He was in a sheltered role, but with mediocre performers.

Two months of that isn't break out the bunting time. But talking of Bunting, he was coming off of his 4th AHL season with only 5 NHL games at the age of 25, prior to his breakout. Blake Coleman's last days of being 25 at the start of his breakout season after 2 points in 25 games the season before. It's not hard to find examples of 24 year olds, 25 year olds, who seem set to be 4th line grinders and who break out at this age, even if it's easier to find examples of guys who don't.

It's up to DOC to keep doing good things, keep improving, and stick his hand up. I don't think he's been hard done by but he's proving he might be something. To me, he's on an interesting road. It's probably a nothing road, but most sports are won by unlikely occurrences.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you want to see what O'Connor can do, I think you promote him to L3 and run with O'Connor-Eller-Granlund. Thinking about it, that might be the way I like setting up the bottom-6 right now with no further moves:

O'Connor-Eller-Granlund
Hinostroza-Acciari-Nieto
Carter

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If you want to see what O'Connor can do, I think you promote him to L3 and run with O'Connor-Eller-Granlund. Thinking about it, that might be the way I like setting up the bottom-6 right now with no further moves:

O'Connor-Eller-Granlund
Hinostroza-Acciari-Nieto
Carter

Careful people are gonna be mad you wanna put DOC on the most important line on the whole team according to Penguins fans.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

O'Connor-Eller-Granlund
Hinostroza-Acciari-Nieto
Carter

DOC - 8.08% shooting, -0.17 xG/60
Granlund - 7.89% shooting, -0.11 xG/60
Eller - 6.35% shooting, -0.15 xG/60

Short of ringing up Dominik Simon and asking him to come back from Czecho, I can't imagine a line more likely to fluff each and every chance it gets.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
DOC - 8.08% shooting, -0.17 xG/60
Granlund - 7.89% shooting, -0.11 xG/60
Eller - 6.35% shooting, -0.15 xG/60

Short of ringing up Dominik Simon and asking him to come back from Czecho, I can't imagine a line more likely to fluff each and every chance it gets.

O'Connor has shown a scoring touch in the AHL and NCAA though. He had 38 goals in 65 games with Dartmouth and 27 goals in 73 games in WBS.

He hasn't shown it at the NHL level yet, but O'Connor has a track record of scoring goals. Combine that with his size and I think there might be some upside there worth pursuing.

Reactions: jmelm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad