Drew Doughty incident

Lupurus

Oct 6, 2018
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this.

At first I was actually scared that he'd broken his leg or some shit. I was thinking he was going to be out for the season maybe not be able to play the same way ever again. The pain seemed so excruciating... And then he throws a temper tantrum in the middle of having had his leg broken, and then I see the replay. What a dive.

It was one of the most blatant cases of embellishment I have ever seen, It was like Neymar in the world cup final bad. Such a lack of class.I just don't even know what to say.

Honestly I hate the shit that has happened to soccer. It's a great sport that is a little tarnished and i'd hate to see it happen to hockey too. I think this should be finable .

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Cannot confirm or deny if it was a dive. The slash might have just caught him in a really awkward spot.

Having said that. I first saw the slash talked about in a Facebook post and I was intrigued. Then....I saw the video and my first reaction was to roll my eyes.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this.

At first I was actually scared that he'd broken his leg or some ****. I was thinking he was going to be out for the season maybe not be able to play the same way ever again. The pain seemed so excruciating... And then he throws a temper tantrum in the middle of having had his leg broken, and then I see the replay. What a dive.

It was one of the most blatant cases of embellishment I have ever seen, It was like Neymar in the world cup final bad. Such a lack of class.I just don't even know what to say.

Honestly I hate the **** that has happened to soccer. It's a great sport that is a little tarnished and i'd hate to see it happen to hockey too. I think this should be finable .

I think there was a thread about it that was locked idk why tho I didn't finish reading it .

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Your knee can be a very sensitive area. Having been in several knee on knee collisions I can relate to a "bump that doesn't look like much" stinging like hell which would easily cause you to buckle like you have been shot. At best you'll need a few minutes to recover from the pain, at worst you have serious damage.

That being said, those love taps happen all the time in hockey and I really don't see this whole situation as too unusual.

I can't tell one way or another if that was a dive or not since I wasn't in his skates here.

So this thread gets an emphatic "meh" from me.

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It wasn't the worst thing that has ever happened. Was it a slash? Yes, absolutely. Did it result in an unlucky circumstance? Well, yeah. It should have been a 2-minute minor, but I don't know what the referees were looking at to miss it, so it didn't get called. In the end of it, it's just a love tap gone wrong, and he returned to the game later, so I consider it almost a non-story.

Of course, if it were a total non-story, there wouldn't be a thread about it, right? I guess I just reinforced it being a story by even responding to the thread, didn't I?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
This is nothing.
Watched the Sharks broadcast as a neutral viewer and they were spot on about it. A slash like that happens 100 times every game, unlucky for Doughty that it caught him on the side of the knee because thats a place it hurts like hell right when it happens.

30 minutes later he probably doesnt feel a thing from it. Could easily have been a 2 minute minor though just like all the other slashes that are ignored usually can be a minor penalty

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
That's a soft spot right on the side of the middle of the knee, so probably was in legit pain. Not an especially egregious slash at all, but sometimes it just gets you in the wrong place. Plus he had all his weight on that knee which tightens up the tendons making them even more of a soft spot. It happens, I'm sure Doughty, the Kings and everyone is over it.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It looked like when you bang the "funny bone" in your elbow and your whole arm goes numb.

Top-notch histrionics. 10/10.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
No it really wasn't dirty. I guess they could have given him a minor penalty if they wanted to run wild with it, but that kind of stick tap to the leg/knee area is routine. It happens a lot without someone acting like Doughty did (he throws tantrums frequently enough to be known for it, even if he's simply mad about a penalty).

Reactions: Phu

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I might give him the benefit of the doubt and say it caught him in just the right spot. But then there's that moment where he looks up for a response from the refs and he's obviously okay in that moment.

Could have been two minutes each for slash and embellish. But it really didn't have any impact on the play so I'm good with letting it all go as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad