Confirmed with Link: Drew Bannister named Rampage HC

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I would love to hear more of those “grey” opinions! Honestly, I would

I was over Hitch about 2.5 years earlier than Yeo’s hire. I was ready for someone different, because Hitch was not going to move us forward, especially because he couldn’t adjust his game to the modern NHL, nor could he make in series or in game adjustments. He was also implementing a system that didn’t maximize our players potential.

So while I was ready for a change, it wasn’t merely for a different team. It was for a coach with a coaching strategy that could improve upon the team that was built. I won’t get into the fact that we poorly supported that core with the proper strategic moves. That doesn’t mean we needed a different team or a huge chunk of the team changed. But, I firmly believe that our previous core significantly underperformed due to coaching strategy. It was the single most important flaw we faced.

I wasn’t in love with the Yeo hiring largely because I didn’t care for his systems. His defense was passive and his offense was both relatively ineffective and uncreative. I wasn’t impressed by Yeo based on what he had done before. I actually saw Yeo as a lateral at best but potentially worse coach than Hitch.

For all his faults Hitch got the guys to battle hard, although not necessarily smart. Yeo didn’t bring the strategy or the inspiration. In his first go as head coach here, Yeo largely was able to benefit from the quality things that Hitch did (like getting guys to go after pucks and play sound defense). Hitch had also grated on the players and the change away from Hitch was obviously a boost in their step, breath of fresh air. So, even Yeo’s “successful” beginnings as a head coach here wasn’t a sample size that we should glean too much from.

To Yeo’s credit, he did get the D more active and it’s one of the things that we knew would improve the system, if only Hitch would try it.

It’s not like I hate Yeo. I think the guy seems like a rock solid person. I enjoy his honesty and candor. He just wasn’t the type of coach we needed to rectify our structural problems at the time, hasn’t shown much different since and possibly not in the future as well. That doesn’t mean I was getting the noose ready the day he was hired. I just was uninspired and unconvinced.

Now, there were some interviews where he discussed how Minny didn’t work out and that he needed to learn and change things to become more successful. That offered some promise. His post season interview this year illustrates that he still sees things he needs to work on. So that is positive. But we are starting to get to the point where it’s time to show improvement, not just talk about the need to do it.

Next year we have to see a better all around set of schemes. The defense has to be more aggressive at the blue line and the front of the net. Our neutral zone transition has to be quicker. Our offensive zone strategy has to foster quick decisions and get off the perimeter. Our forwards have to be tenacious on pucks. Our PP has to be dynamic by having a host of set plays focused on cross ice seams and a center ice threat.

I am certainly willing to see what he can do this year. He has a massive amount of room for improvement. If he shows improvement (and there is no reason that should be difficult with all the opportunity he has) then let’s see if he can continue to develop and grow. Progress bids a longer stay/more chances IMO. However, if he shows the same as this past season or his time in Minny, then we need to start looking at a succession plan. It’s only the smart thing to do.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I just take issue with the fact that people have been counting Yeo’s days since we hired him. I think people want to see a “different” Blues team, and expect a new coach to totally remake the team but that just isn’t true. That would require a wholesale rebuild. Like, it just seems that people’s desire to (always) fire the coach and (always) compete for a cup are at odds with each other. I just want a coach who can figure it out, and nobody will ever do that if they always have the Sword of Damocles over their head. The facts are that Yeo took a deeply flawed team to the second round, and then missed the playoffs with an even more flawed team by *one* point. The main flaw with the coaching right now is the power play, and while those coaching issues are legitimate and troubling (but so fixable!), our player talent isn’t exactly overwhelming either. We’re still a flawed team. We are on the way to improving, but I honestly don’t think Yeo is the problem, nor is he holding the team back. Saying “you’ve got 18 months to win a cup” seems arbitrary and silly. Idk, I like Yeo! We can get there with him, setting a ticking clock doesn’t really help
I'm not sure I agree with you about Yeo, but I've admittedly never been his biggest fan and I certainly respect your opinion. I generally agree with Celtic's take, but there's no need to belabor that since it's already been said.

Mostly I just wanted to say that the Sword of Damocles reference was excellent. Not every day you see something like that on a hockey forum. :laugh:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
For me the PP isn't the most concerning thing because I personally believe that's something relatively easy to address. What's most concerning to me is that Yeo's teams seem to have trends that follow him around. The crap PP is one, the 2-3 month long abyssal dive mid season is the big one though. Yeo is a young coach, like others I hope he figures out how to fix these undesirable trends but we need to see some progress.

Obviously Doug Armstrong needs to give his HC some personnel help. Bill and the Amateur Scouting Staff have certainly done their job and more to help out and we're finally about to get some internal help at forward like we've already benefited from at defense. These things can and undoubtedly will help Yeo out. I really hope this new coaching staff can find a way collectively to make progress on their own. That is what I'll be most interested in seeing happen this upcoming season. That 2+ month mid season dive simply can't happen anymore though. The coaching staff has to ensure that doesn't happen or we need to be looking to find a staff that will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad