Dressing rooms are no longer for dressing

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
So , in my email this morning, Ontario (OHF), on the boys side, has declined to implement this policy and is sticking with thier old one. OWHA for girls went with it though.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So , in my email this morning, Ontario (OHF), on the boys side, has declined to implement this policy and is sticking with thier old one. OWHA for girls went with it though.

I'm not sure to what extent provincial agencies can just ignore Hockey Canada ones.

I haven't heard a single thing from Hockey Alberta on the topic - it only ever came up with it hit the media, but that was a couple of weeks after the policy actually passed.

Look, as far as I can tell, for my U13 kid (where I help coach) nobody is showering, and nobody is taking their underwear off. For my U15 kid again I believe nobody is showering after a game. So I don't think this policy is making any difference so far in how things are actually working. I freely admit that might be changing by the time you hit U18 .

What I think should be implemented from the HC rule, and from my experience is NOT, is the "Rule of Two" - that two accredited adults should be in the dressing room (or outside the room with the door open). But even that is kind of tough - what happens when (like last year in U11) I had one guy who no matter how many times he'd go to the bathroom before a game, would always insist he needs to pee mid-way through the second period. I'd usually take him - but according to the Rule of 2 we're supposed to take two coaches off the bench? Or when there's one kid who arrives late - we need two coaches while he's getting dressed, even though practice has already started?

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm not sure to what extent provincial agencies can just ignore Hockey Canada ones.

I haven't heard a single thing from Hockey Alberta on the topic - it only ever came up with it hit the media, but that was a couple of weeks after the policy actually passed.

Look, as far as I can tell, for my U13 kid (where I help coach) nobody is showering, and nobody is taking their underwear off. For my U15 kid again I believe nobody is showering after a game. So I don't think this policy is making any difference so far in how things are actually working. I freely admit that might be changing by the time you hit U18 .

What I think should be implemented from the HC rule, and from my experience is NOT, is the "Rule of Two" - that two accredited adults should be in the dressing room (or outside the room with the door open). But even that is kind of tough - what happens when (like last year in U11) I had one guy who no matter how many times he'd go to the bathroom before a game, would always insist he needs to pee mid-way through the second period. I'd usually take him - but according to the Rule of 2 we're supposed to take two coaches off the bench? Or when there's one kid who arrives late - we need two coaches while he's getting dressed, even though practice has already started?

With our team it’s always the parent/guardian who takes the kid to the washroom mid game. Coaches stay on the bench.

Rarely happens though. Fortunately we’ve never had a situation where the parent/guardian isn’t available.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

Not sure how much moral authority HC is pulling right now in terms of
Implementing policies lol.. but I was surprised too.

100% agree with rule of two, and that no one is getting down to the birthday suit in U12 or U15 that I am around.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
A lot of, if not all the travel teams here have 1-2 girls (or more) on each team. None of these rinks have separate locker rooms for girls and boys. Not sure how this doesn't make sense to people.

And it's really not that hard to change out of your hockey equipment without taking off your underwear lol. We aren't talking about Junior players/College/Adults who sometimes like to take a full shower before heading home.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
OWHA has walked it back now too, not implementing it after all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Anybody care to share an update on this? Figured it'd be something that makes the news but doesn't actually get enforced beyond week 1 of the season.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Anybody care to share an update on this? Figured it'd be something that makes the news but doesn't actually get enforced beyond week 1 of the season.

No idea. Parents/Guardians have been banned from the dressing room for everyone except the goalie. Coaches help with skates if the kid needs it. Team policy.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010

Hockey MB is not enforcing this in any way, most rinks infrastructure does not allow for this and parents aren't bringing their kids to rinks in their under gear.

It's a dumb rule and absolutely nothing has changed from what I can see in minor hockey here. But at the same time all it will take is one parent....

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I have heard absolutely nothing from Hockey Edmonton / Hockey Alberta either pro or con.

Nothing has really changed from years past. As I mentioned earlier at the age I'm involved in (U13) nobody is showering at the rink in any event. Nobody gets naked in the dressing room, but kids are mostly not showing up in their base layer (we have one or two who do).

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I have heard absolutely nothing from Hockey Edmonton / Hockey Alberta either pro or con.

Nothing has really changed from years past. As I mentioned earlier at the age I'm involved in (U13) nobody is showering at the rink in any event. Nobody gets naked in the dressing room, but kids are mostly not showing up in their base layer (we have one or two who do).

Most of the kids on my grandson’s U11 team show up in their base layer. Just easier I think.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Haven't gotten any message from GTHL that this is now the standard, doubt I will this season, they are arrogant enough to wait it out and declare their own decision, but it will be in line with HC eventually.

Younger kids A team recently asked parents to not hit dressing rooms, but it was more a create a space for them to focus thing, don't think it was related.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad