Dressing rooms are no longer for dressing

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Minor hockey players now required to wear bottom layer to dressing room

This really what we're doing now? Really? Anyone else think this is beyond goofy?

So for starters, I'm pretty involved in minor hockey in Canada and I've never seen a hint of such a policy. It shows as being reported by the CBC so I'm not saying it's wrong. I would note the Hockey Canada policy only says to "encourage" people putting on their base layer in a stall.

A lot of kids already show up to the rink in their base layer anyways. Girl players on mixed teams absolutely already do. It might be a hassle for the first tryouts in September when you could still show up to the rink in shorts, but not much of one. And it's not like younger kids sweat that much.

Where it does surprise me is going right up until U18. So are older kids not allowed to shower at all after a game? And those kids do sweat a lot, and therefore stink a lot.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I coach U-18AAA girls and if I tell them its mandated that they wear base layers in before dry-land, and practice and cant shower after, they're gonna tell me to go fly a kite. If I tell them they need to wear their base layers under all their dress clothes before games and tournaments, they're gonna send me their clothing and cleaning bills for all the expensive crap it'll ruin.

Aside from all that, what a bunch of dumb shit. Next they're gonna tell us we can't shower with the boys after beer league because of inclusion and then I'm really gonna throw a fit.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Policy link: https://cdn.hockeycanada.ca/hockey-...s/Safety/Downloads/dressing-room-policy-e.pdf

They are encouraged to wear swimwear for showering..

This section caught my eye:

Rule of Two
To best ensure safety for all participants, all minor hockey programs sanctioned by Hockey Canada and its
Members are required to implement the ‘Rule of Two’ for all dressing rooms. The ‘Rule of Two’ requires
two trained and screened adults to be present in the dressing room or immediately outside the dressing
room with the door propped open to monitor the environment and ensure it is free of any discrimination,
harassment, bullying, or other forms of maltreatment. The Rule of Two remains in place when showers
are in use.

Thank you!

I know a bunch of coaches seem to want the dressing room to be "for the players". With respect, in minor hockey you're talking about teens or even pre-teens. With no adult supervision there's a huge potential for bullying/harassment/hazing.

Interesting though the language contradicts the article posted about about base layers - the policy does require base layers at all times.

It's just one of those areas where you wonder "do they really need a policy on this - can't we just use common sense"? If one kid wants to show up in their base layer, or one kid wants to shower in a swimsuit - just let them and not make a big deal about it?

Dressing rooms really aren't set up to allow kids to change in stalls. Lots of rooms only have 1 stall, that would be a big bottleneck in getting dressed / undressed.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
You know, when I look at it again, it may not be such a big deal.

From the policy itself:

To best promote inclusion and to respect the privacy of all participants on a team, Hockey Canada requires
all participants to wear ‘minimum attire’ at all times in a dressing room or in dressing environments where
more than one participant is present. This means that participants should arrive at the rink wearing a base
layer (e.g., shorts and t-shirt, compression shorts and shirt or sports bra). A participant not arriving at the
rink wearing their base layer can use an appropriate private space (e.g., private restroom stalls or
empty/unused dressing rooms) to change into the base layer and then enter the team dressing room with
the other participants.

The term "base layer" throws me here, because I think of a base layer as being long pants and a long shirt made by Underarmour or the like with the purpose of absorbing sweat.

But do they just mean "underwear"?

Because I can tell you none of the kids in any dressing room I've ever been in, ever, have gotten totally nude. They all keep their underwear on. And quite frankly as an adult coach I don't want kids getting naked in the dressing room.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
This section caught my eye:

Thank you!

I know a bunch of coaches seem to want the dressing room to be "for the players". With respect, in minor hockey you're talking about teens or even pre-teens. With no adult supervision there's a huge potential for bullying/harassment/hazing.

Interesting though the language contradicts the article posted about about base layers - the policy does require base layers at all times.

It's just one of those areas where you wonder "do they really need a policy on this - can't we just use common sense"? If one kid wants to show up in their base layer, or one kid wants to shower in a swimsuit - just let them and not make a big deal about it?

Dressing rooms really aren't set up to allow kids to change in stalls. Lots of rooms only have 1 stall, that would be a big bottleneck in getting dressed / undressed.

Ya, there's usually that period after a game, after the coaches come out, that is at least a few minutes of players only. I don't really mind that sensibly applied, the occasional adult filtering in randomly works. It's well thought out in that regard. Kids are nut, we have all been one.

From the policy itself:

The term "base layer" throws me here, because I think of a base layer as being long pants and a long shirt made by Underarmour or the like with the purpose of absorbing sweat.

Because I can tell you none of the kids in any dressing room I've ever been in, ever, have gotten totally nude. They all keep their underwear on. And quite frankly as an adult coach I don't want kids getting naked in the dressing room.

It's basically a don't get naked in the dressing room policy. And I think you are right, they don't anyways, certainly not my experience around dressing rooms at a youth level HC league sanctioned so far. But I am not around the ultra high levels of youth hockey, only the periphery, no idea if it is a problem needing an answer.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being nude in public

Naked is one's natural self, and we shouldn't continue this longstanding tradition of conditioning our youth to be ashamed of their bodies to the point they must be hidden away behind clothing when in view of others

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
There's two tiers to this rule. U11 and below it's perfectly sensible. U15 and U18 it's unenforceable stupidity. U13 is a grey zone, but I know that the majority of my Peewee team in the mid 00's was showering after, and by Bantam there was no such thing as a standard "base layer", and what there was certainly wasn't having clothes put over it for the drive home.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario

From the policy itself:

I get where people that don't or didn't play competitive sports a bunch growing up have the idea that getting totally nude before and after playing or showering together is weird. I have a bunch of friends who just straight up think it's odd to be naked around other guys/girls, even in the context of a post-game setting. I think most that know will agree though, I've been getting fully undressed for showers and before/after games since I was in Bantam aaa.

Nowadays, in U18 we have dressing room parents that are in and around the room at all times and members of the coaching staff to make sure that everyone is locked in on hockey and also to make sure there is no harassment or bullying going on, but I do think there comes an age where these young adults should be able to make that decision for themselves, and anyone who chooses to come dressed or to change in a stall should be made to feel totally comfortable about their decision and have a zero tolerance policy for anyone who might make them feel otherwise.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Seems to me like a clumsy reaction (some might say over-reaction) to Hockey Canada's continuing turmoil re. sexual assault reports. Under those conditions, it comes off as one of those easy-to-legislate actions while leaving the implementation & enforcement responsibilities to coaching staffs (and possibly some involvement by rink management) at ice level. There will be pushback & debate & eventually compromise (not to everyone's satisfaction), but how is that different from any rule changes in a sport where "traditions" carry more weight than common sense?

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I get where people that don't or didn't play competitive sports a bunch growing up have the idea that getting totally nude before and after playing or showering together is weird. I have a bunch of friends who just straight up think it's odd to be naked around other guys/girls, even in the context of a post-game setting. I think most that know will agree though, I've been getting fully undressed for showers and before/after games since I was in Bantam aaa.
There is/was a marked difference between hockey players/ competitive athletes and those who werent wrt to comfort/preparedness on the first day of grade 9 PE class. Especially when the grade 12 class using the other side of the gymnasium rolls into the changeroom.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm pretty sure this is not expected to be followed. It's a policy in reaction to criticism that hockey Canada is not doing anything in response to the abuse and sexual assault. They're setting these guidelines so if something happens in the future they can throw their hands up and say "they weren't following guidelines set by hockey Canada and therefore we have no responsibility."

Reactions: cptjeff

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
So do the kids have to wait to get home to take off their stinky gear as well? Hockey Canada trying to recover their broken imagine by just digging deeper

Reactions: shaner8989

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I'm pretty sure this is not expected to be followed. It's a policy in reaction to criticism that hockey Canada is not doing anything in response to the abuse and sexual assault. They're setting these guidelines so if something happens in the future they can throw their hands up and say "they weren't following guidelines set by hockey Canada and therefore we have no responsibility."

Don't disagree with that one bit.

So do the kids have to wait to get home to take off their stinky gear as well? Hockey Canada trying to recover their broken imagine by just digging deeper
They may use a private washroom stall to change if desired, according to the policy.

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016

From the policy itself:

So teenagers don’t shower after the games anymore or they wear bathing suits? I admit it’s been 13 years since I played minor hockey, but when I was playing that level there were brief moments of nudity in the dressing room as you would expect of any” dressing room” , kids weren’t walking around letting the flag fly so to speak, but they definitely didn’t go home in the same pair of underwear that they played a game in, and not everybody- but about half of the kids would shower at the rink(The parents of the ones who did certainly appreciated it)

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

This is actually a very perceptive post.

Hockey Canada has been hit with a bunch of high profile lawsuits in the last few years. HC though is not the one directly doing the "bad things", but rather it's a situation where "bad things" are happening under HC auspices.

If you have a policy, and you at least half-assed try to make it followed, then if a "bad thing" happens you can say "see, we tried! Not our fault!".

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
It's just hockey canada trying to be woke and regain some of the public trust.

Not addressing the core issues where money is more important than justice
One of the core issues is the vast presence of pedophiles in Canadian minor hockey.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
One of the core issues is the vast isolated presence of pedophiles in Canadian minor hockey.
Let’s not exaggerate here. Yes, it has existed, and will always continue to exist, because predators gonna predator. You safeguard against as best you can. “Rule of 2” has existed in Scouts for years now for the same reason.

But “vast” is too strong, what are we realistically talking, 0.01%? 1 in 10000? That’s probably high frankly.

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
Quebec
Even if it was vast.

Why not mention it then ? Instead of pointing out that its for religious reasons, chronic conditions, body image & gender.

if you want to fix a problem you need to ackowledge you have one.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Even if it was vast.

Why not mention it then ? Instead of pointing out that its for religious reasons, chronic conditions, body image & gender.

if you want to fix a problem you need to ackowledge you have one.
I think that it has more to do with "gender identity" to be honest. Coaches in the OMHA now have to do a Gender Expression and Identity Course. On the girls side we were told that we shouldn't use the word girls anymore when addressing our girls. They're really pushing this stuff right now.

• Wow
Reactions: MarotteMarauder

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
I think that it has more to do with "gender identity" to be honest. Coaches in the OMHA now have to do a Gender Expression and Identity Course. On the girls side we were told that we shouldn't use the word girls anymore when addressing our girls. They're really pushing this stuff right now.

I think they kind of have to push it. As my daughters friends who identify as different pronouns. They don’t come out and stick to their close group of friends. It’s really sad to me.

I know everywhere is different and maybe my area does suffer some from being a small town. If we don’t start showing acceptance. How are they/them ever going to feel accepted. Because it’s not happening yet. As they just want happiness like the rest of us.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I think they kind of have to push it. As my daughters friends who identify as different pronouns. They don’t come out and stick to their close group of friends. It’s really sad to me.

I know everywhere is different and maybe my area does suffer some from being a small town. If we don’t start showing acceptance. How are they/them ever going to feel accepted. Because it’s not happening yet. As they just want happiness like the rest of us.
It really is sad. The mental health crisis in the western world affecting our young people can't be ignored. It has been compounded by the leftist ideology pushed by educators and media.
One thing that stuck out in your comment was that she had several friends that don't identify themselves with traditional pronouns and the fact that you live in a small town. This tells me that it is most likely them trying to fit in with a group and claiming to be a member of the opposite gender or asexual. Rather than medically being one of the two. I really feel for these kids. If they were my daughter's friends or teammates, I would still call them by their preferred pronouns. I would treat them with respect as a human and coach them just as I would coach any of the other girls. I won't however not address the other kids on the team - including my own daughter as girls. "Girls" is literally in the title of our organization. We had 2 trans kids in our league who weren't discriminated against and were treated with respect as part of the team and community. Despite that the league mandated the policy at the request of the parents. THIS is what causes division. I don't think that mandating a course on an ideology that I vehemently oppose and truly think is harming todays kids is the correct way to go. If there is a tolerance issue in your town/organization, then education on tolerance for all races, sex and sexual preference could be an option. This should come with strict policies punishing those who intentionally single out and isolate people.

Going back to the original topic, I fully support having separate change rooms for the kids who aren't comfortable dressing in front of their teammates. They can join the team in the main room after dressed as the coaches do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad