Dressing 7D ?

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
I'm not sure how well it will work long term, but, so far it's working.

I like that no D played over 23 minutes, especially in a back to back situation playing against 2 challenging teams. I don't like that Beaulieu played less than 10min, his minutes should increase as the season rolls along, depending on the play of Weaver/Gonchar.

I like the double shifting on the 4th line, getting Max, Chuck, etc extra minutes isn't a bad thing.

It looks like it keeps the coaching staff more engaged in the game, they can't just run a simple 1234 anymore.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hopefully, it was a hybrid solution to integrating Gonchar while still playing Beaulieu. Whatever Therrien's fixation on vets, at least this shows the value they place on Beaulieu's development, and that they didn't send him down when Gonchar arrived. Plus, aside from Gonchar, Markov and Weaver should not be playing 25 minutes every game -- this allows them to pace themselves and reduce the risk of injury.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Beaulieu getting about 6 mins of ice time since The Gonzo Acquisition.
I don't think this is nearly enough, I also don't think Hamilton can help him anymore with regards to his development perhaps only his conditioning...
What needs to happen in his case and that of Tinner while we are at it?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
They should sit some aging veterans from time to time to give Beaulieu some playing time.

Issue is, the possible guys to sit are Gonchar and Weave. Gonchar has helped tremendously the PP, while our PK heavily relies on Weaver as well. We'll see how Therrien will handle the situation, so far it's been working well, but Beaulieu definitely needs an increased playing time.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Beaulieu getting about 6 mins of ice time since The Gonzo Acquisition.
This was exactly my concern with the Gonchar acquisition. We've now got soon-to-be 36-yo Markov, 36-yo Weaver, and 40-yo Gonchar on the roster playing significant minutes. This will not bode well for us come April & beyond. Looking ahead to September, Gonchar & Weaver will be gone (presumably) and Markov will have another 70+ games on his legs. Beaulieu & Tinordi need to be developed and it needs to be happening now. Burying one of them on the farm and the other in 7D minutes isn't how to go about it. We should be sitting one of the old-timers in situations like last night and letting the young guns play full games.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
We are first in the NHL and we have won six games in a row. Stop complaining... :help:

I'm happy about the wins as well but it would be shortsighted to not consider the impact playing 3 36y/o+ D-men regularly over young players needing to develop. This will bite us in the *** sooner or later.
Other than that, I don't know about the impact this has on forwards. They probably don't play significantly more minutes (they just replace one 4th liner), but over long term, this might get difficult for them.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
We are first in the NHL and we have won six games in a row. Stop complaining... :help:
We went 9-0-1 last November while Therrien was giving significant minutes to Murray & Bouillon. Markov was gassed come the Rangers series and Beaulieu was brought in cold because Therrien's two pet vets weren't up to the task of getting it done in the playoffs.

History may not repeat itself but it often rhymes. Gonchar + Weaver are definitely an upgrade over those two useless fossils, but it feels like a remix of the same old song.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We went 9-0-1 last November while Therrien was giving significant minutes to Murray & Bouillon. Markov was gassed come the Rangers series and Beaulieu was brought in cold because Therrien's two pet vets weren't up to the task of getting it done in the playoffs.

History may not repeat itself but it often rhymes. Gonchar + Weaver are definitely an upgrade over those two useless fossils, but it feels like a remix of the same old song.

Hopefully JJ is taking a management course today!
Seven seems to get him thoroughly messed up.:laugh:
I start questioning a Gonzo RD Gilbert LD pairing. :cry:...

Once led to a GA the second time a penalty on Gilbert.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This was exactly my concern with the Gonchar acquisition. We've now got soon-to-be 36-yo Markov, 36-yo Weaver, and 40-yo Gonchar on the roster playing significant minutes. This will not bode well for us come April & beyond. Looking ahead to September, Gonchar & Weaver will be gone (presumably) and Markov will have another 70+ games on his legs. Beaulieu & Tinordi need to be developed and it needs to be happening now. Burying one of them on the farm and the other in 7D minutes isn't how to go about it. We should be sitting one of the old-timers in situations like last night and letting the young guns play full games.

I'm happy about the wins as well but it would be shortsighted to not consider the impact playing 3 36y/o+ D-men regularly over young players needing to develop. This will bite us in the *** sooner or later.
Other than that, I don't know about the impact this has on forwards. They probably don't play significantly more minutes (they just replace one 4th liner), but over long term, this might get difficult for them.

Agree with both of you. Overplaying Markov, Weaver and Gonchar will increase their risk of injury and strain. Therrien better temper his 'win-now!' mode with some long-term intelligence and give these guys a rest. Come April, the last thing we'll need is overcooked vets and undercooked rookies.

As to Beaulieu, playing 6 to 8 minutes is not great, but it at least gives him the chance to pry the window open himself. It's worth having 7 dmen just to keep him playing and improving. His ice-time isn't ideal, but it's okay for now and likely to increase.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
They shouldn't be moving Beaulieu around. Put him in one spot and let him dig in.

Same with Tinordi. Left side, third pairing and leave him alone.

They do have to manage minutes since this is their first 84 game sked tho.

I trust our management and coaching staff tho.

Someone is stuck in 1994. Where are the Habs neutral site games this year?:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad