Dressing 7D ?

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Usually, I hate the idea of dressing 7D in a game. We weren't very successful with that strategy.
However, now the more I think about it, the more I like it. It allows us to roll three good offensive lines. We could double-shift Pac and Galchenyuk on the 3rd line with Eller. With Pac or Galchenyuk on that line, it becomes much more dangerous.

x - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Maholtra - Weise
Prust and Weise can sometimes play on the 3rd line too. Maholtra will play only on PK and when we need to win an important face-off.

As for the defense, if we need a goal, we can play Beaulieu with Gonchar (of course Markov with PK). When we need to protect a goal, we will play Weaver more often than Gonchar.

What do you think ?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
It works if you spread the ice time around. If Beaulieu is only going to play six minutes a game like last night, I would rather him play in Hamilton.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
They shouldn't be moving Beaulieu around. Put him in one spot and let him dig in.

Same with Tinordi. Left side, third pairing and leave him alone.

They do have to manage minutes since this is their first 84 game sked tho.

I trust our management and coaching staff tho.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How is that defenseman don't get injured anymore?

Back in the Carbo-Martin era, the Habs needed 8 or 9 dmen to get through the year.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I like to double shift Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. Keep them engaged in the game.

I would dress 7 D until Bournival is back. That will give the team proper time to figure out where Gonchar will fit.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Back in the Carbo-Martin era, the Habs needed 8 or 9 dmen to get through the year.

Martin's system apparently involved d-men playing so as to leave themselves completely vulnerable to fore-checking forwards. And no one was ever, ever allowed to hit people on the other team.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

We used 10 defenseman last year, maybe not due to injury but we still needed them.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal

I know... the lack of D injuries are astounding.

... and (unfortunately) bound to change soon simply by the law of averages.

PK seems indestructible. :amazed:

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
If you dress 7D it would make sense if you get Pacioretty/Galchenyuk extras shifts that they wouldn't get playing with 12F. Using Beaulieu at forward is so, so dumb short and long term. Reduce some of the minutes to any of the 3 Dmen currently over 35 years old and let Beaulieu play in his natural position.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not a fan. We can roll 4 good lines up front with 12 forwards. They should switch PAP and Gallagher, keep the Eller and Maholtra lines the same.
Beaulieu should not be used as a forward. That is ridiculous.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Except Beaulieu was used on the 4th line

He wasn't, it might have been 1 shift early on, but he played D after that the whole time.

I don't mind it once in a while, specially with older Dmen like Weaver Markov and Gonchar, and it also allowed our forwards to get extra minutes.

Last game Patches and Gally got extra playing time, being used on the 4th line LW spot. It also gave them a chance to go up vs other teams 4th lines.

As long as the dmen isn't playing forward like in the Carbo and Martin days and they extra dmen is playing D, I'm cool with it.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
With the Habs playing 16 back to back games, 3gms. in 4 nights, they better start carrying 7 Dmen or come playoffs the defence won't have any juice left.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad