Dreger shoulders some of the blame

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The real issue started when Burke arrived here.....he started the media on fire with his idiotic comments and demanding to be center stage.....calling news conferences when he was moving his paper clips around.

He armed the media with his confrontational approach and now we are still dealing with the fall out....same as Vancouver.

Using this ridiculous theory of yours that the Toronto media is/was:

a) harsh on the Leafs because of Burke
b) Remains to be harsh on the Leafs because of Burke

Go ahead and explain Randy Carlyle to me, please?

The media was figuratively dancing with Wilson's corpse weeks before he was fired. Carlyle never got any of that treatment here - for what results he produced, Randy Carlyle had a very easy time in Toronto dealing with the media here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's equally as bad.. just because you like him and his stats doesn't mean he's not biased and has an agenda like the rest of them. Facts can be presented while still ignoring trends and coexisting conflicting stats. He's the master of Occam's Broom :)

But he's an oped writer not a beat reporter - its his job to give his opinion. Even if you don't agree with him, he at least shows you how he came to his opinions

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Really? You must be young, do you remember the Ballard era? The TMZ type reporting has been going on for at least 40 year's

You must be young....what a joke of a comment!

I am most likely older then you....

The fact that the media is around and reporting the way they are is because they were ripped on by Burke.....most of the current media were not around when Ballard was the owner...

We are talking about current times....is that so hard to understand. Burke cause this team so much more harm then evident.

Ace88*

Its amazing how two Stanley Cups in a three year span will do that, eh?

Nothing more pathetic that the "blame the media" brigade. It is a loser's perspective; plain and simple. :shakehead

No it isn't. It's a sociologist's perspective. If you don't understand how the media, team, and fans are intrinsically linked and the effects one has on the others, then there's nothing more to be said for you or from you.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Using this ridiculous theory of yours that the Toronto media is/was:

a) harsh on the Leafs because of Burke
b) Remains to be harsh on the Leafs because of Burke

Go ahead and explain Randy Carlyle to me, please?

The media was figuratively dancing with Wilson's corpse weeks before he was fired. Carlyle never got any of that treatment here - for what results he produced, Randy Carlyle had a very easy time in Toronto dealing with the media here.

What is ridiculous is your question....you answered by the way!

Wilson mistreated the media as did Burke.....Carlyle did not mistreat the media ......hence his treatment....it supports my opinion!

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009
I don't personally listen to Dreger because I think you can get the same speculation on these boards, but I don't understand why people hate on him so much. As I said, I think he's useless and never really says anything, but people eat that **** up and always want to know what's going on behind the scenes. For how infrequent trades are, I feel like he says everything that can be said. So and so are talking to Nashville, this player would be a good fit and here's a possible return. It's not like there's a trade every week, what more is there to say?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The media is hardest on GM's, Coaches, Captains, then Players.

Harder on them all is MLSE though - they want a winner NOW Burke found that out. Better trade for Kessel NOW

jughead42*

Shame on you for lumping Mirtle in with that clown posse. He is the only one who actually presents facts without putting a spin on anything. He is the only real journalist out of the idiots you listed.

The others are just flapping gum talking heads. They are not journalists, they are writers. Journalism does not seek to take a side.

It's pretty obvious from Mirtle's little rendezvous with Kessel in the dressing room and the resulting media tour that Mirtle belongs very much with this group of reporters. A respect for advanced stats doesn't make him any less of a dickbag.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Our left wing media sucks but they didn't sign phaneuf, clarky, lupul etc to long term deals.

Dregs cousin is at fault.

Not to single you out LeftTackel51 but I think this comment gives you a taste of what Dregs is talking about. These deals do suck but the anger that results from these deals is in many ways the direct result of the Toronto media constantly bringing attention to them.

A knowledgeable Leaf fans may keep a very close eye on salary cap and understand what these contracts mean to the team when the contract is signed, thus hating the deal from the get go. These fans are going to be upset regardless of what the media says. What our media does is bombard the fans who don't pay so close attention to the implications behind a bad deal and then proceed to blow them out of proportion. This makes Toronto a less than desirable destination for a good player to come to. A good player who demands a high salary would know that if they don't perform up to the standards that their contract indicate they should, even if they are just in a temporary slump, the media will create a circus around their play. This kind of reporting turns fans against players, even good players, which is just one more distraction that hinders them from performing as they should. The pressure of playing in Toronto must be incredible.

Ace88*

It's pretty obvious from Mirtle's little rendezvous with Kessel in the dressing room and the resulting media tour that Mirtle belongs very much with this group of reporters. A respect for advanced stats doesn't make him any less of a dickbag.

It has absolutely nothing to do with advanced stats, and it speaks volumes that yourself and other guy who rebutted my post went there. I don't care about advanced stats, it's not going to woo me into liking a writer.

Maybe you read a piece or two by Mirtle and you didn't like it. Maybe he pumps players that you don't want to see pumped. Maybe he hit on your sister, i dont know. But anyone who has read James Mirtle over an extended period of time can very quite easily see that he does not belong in the same category as Cox, Feschuk, and Simmons, and it's plainly ridiculous to suggest that he does.

Mirtle does not jump on the latest hatewagon or lovewagon. He stays as close to centre as anyone in Toronto sports media. I'm sorry if you disagree, because you'd be straight the **** up wrong.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It has absolutely nothing to do with advanced stats, and it speaks volumes that yourself and other guy who rebutted my post went there. I don't care about advanced stats, it's not going to woo me into liking a writer.

Maybe you read a piece or two by Mirtle and you didn't like it. Maybe he pumps players that you don't want to see pumped. Maybe he hit on your sister, i dont know. But anyone who has read James Mirtle over an extended period of time can very quite easily see that he does not belong in the same category as Cox, Feschuk, and Simmons, and it's plainly ridiculous to suggest that he does.

Mirtle does not jump on the latest hatewagon or lovewagon. He stays as close to centre as anyone in Toronto sports media. I'm sorry if you disagree, because you'd be straight the **** up wrong.

Jughead is blaming Mirtle for the question asked by Feschuk to Kessel as his proof that Mirtle is a dirty bag....

So there is no point debating with a person who does not know what they are talking about...

Mirtle is a fine reporter and is about unbiased as you can be while being a reporter in Toronto....I enjoy his pieces.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

mirtle is the best ...tells it like it is not what u wanna hear ..dreger has no real inside info now that nonuts has a gag order

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What is ridiculous is your question....you answered by the way!

Wilson mistreated the media as did Burke.....Carlyle did not mistreat the media ......hence his treatment....it supports my opinion!

Leafs are still suffering from media treatment due to Burke.

BUT

Carlyle got angelic treatment from the same media that we are still suffering from because Burke?

No, bro - nothing supports your opinion. Because contradictions don't support anything.

:handclap:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Honestly man, I love your posts. You're always wrong and you just don't care!

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
If the players play, and, be their best, at all times, then, nothing negative the media can say will affect the fans.

If you're called out by the media for being lazy, and out of shape, the fans have likely already seen this for themselves!

If you want to be treated as a hero, come to Toronto, play your heart out, win more than you lose, and all will be good!

Win a Stanley Cup championship with the Maple Leafs, and you will be revered, and treated like royalty, for a lifetime and beyond!

Just DO IT!
You're missing the point.

I think the point he is trying to make is that some players will thrive in this type of situation but a large percentage will not. He was looking at Toronto and contrasting it with a place like Los Angeles, where the lack of attention will allow both types of players to thrive and hence the Kings will have a much larger pool of players to choose from and they will get better results.

There is nothing earth shattering there and we see it at our places of work every day. There are those that thrive under pressure and those that crumble. Those that crumble may be very good at what they do when the spotlight isn't on them 24/7.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Leafs are still suffering from media treatment due to Burke.

BUT

Carlyle got angelic treatment from the same media that we are still suffering from because Burke?

No, bro - nothing supports your opinion. Because contradictions don't support anything.

:handclap:

Yeah you asked the question and I answered it.....it explained it perfectly....

Carlyle answered questions and treated the media with respect so he got respect in return...how that is so hard to understand beats me...The media is not stupid they know when they are being feed garbage....Nonis is the same as Burke only with less air!

Yes the treatment Burke created will stay until we shed his lackeys....and stop making excuses for the on ice product. Look at the Leafs.....NO salute and many on here stated it was fine.....it was horrendous that they acted that way....big babies....no morning skates, as the poor babies were tired. My god until someone steps up and acts like a man....and starts tossing players out the door nothing will change. But lets blame the media as they are the cause of all of this.

Burke fed the media nonsense and so do many of our players still.....Dion my god he is an idiot.....Kessel removed all doubt...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
On TSN 1050 this morning Darren Dreger was talking about the Evander Kane situation and whether or not he was a fit in Toronto. He said there is interest however if Kane cannot handle his situation in Winnepeg how would he be in a city like Toronto. He then dove into how we “the media†has to also shoulder some of the blame. By no means was he going to apologize ; however went on to explain that when things are great in Toronto there is probably not a player in the league that wouldn’t want to play on the leafs, but when things are bad the media turns every situation into a circus. He used LA as an example, they are floundering and just put Mike Richards on waivers yet it’s almost a non story now. He said it’s the medias job to be critical when the leafs are bad however it makes a GM’s job very difficult. Players see what happens here and have options to sign with other teams, and are able to put Toronto on their “No Trade†list.

Long story long, it was somewhat refreshing to hear Dreger be this honest. It’s a sentiment that I have believed since my early days as a leaf fan. We leaf fans have such highs and lows. When we are in the playoff picture, we are contending for the cup and when we’re not blow it up. It’s our right to be like this, however its partially fueled by media. The media try their best to alter our perception of the team to get us to read/listen. I know a lot of people have somewhat shut out Dreger because he hasn’t called an actual trade in quite some time. Kind of just throws dirt at a wall and hopes it stick. However his actual hockey opinion usually is spot on and relatively level headed. All I ask is that fans ignore the “guerilla warfare†media (for lack of a better word) like “Steve Simmonsâ€, “Bruce Arthurâ€, â€Damien Cox†“James myrtleâ€, “Dave feschuk†and listen to people with actual hockey knowledge. One thing in common with all of the guys I mentioned, is that they work for the newspapers. They write daily columns and need to do what they can to get people to read. This is why their opinions are so jaded and farfetched. They are the same when they are writing about the NFL, the Jays, the Raptors, the Argo’s etc. It baffles my mind that anyone would take their opinion when they have no direct attachment to the sport. At the end of the day, we are all still going to be leaf fans and at the end of the day we all want this team to succeed. Lets not let the media get the best of us.

Rant over.
A few weeks ago when Phil Kessel said that Dave Feschuk was an idiot, I wish that the Toronto media would have remembered how it was Feschuk himself who called James Reimer's mother about his concussion issues from a few years ago. Instead that never happened and it's why they made Kessel look like the bad guy, when he must have remembered Feschuk doing that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
A few weeks ago when Phil Kessel said that Dave Feschuk was an idiot, I wish that the Toronto media would have remembered how it was Feschuk himself who called James Reimer's mother about his concussion issues from a few years ago. Instead that never happened and it's why they made Kessel look like the bad guy, when he must have remembered Feschuk doing that.

Blaming the media is a excuse that is rolled out here all the time.....

It was a fact that Reimer had a concussion....why hide it? Having to get the truth from a players Mother makes the Leafs look bad....answer the question and move on.

What did you think of Reimers play tonight....he was ok, just ok!

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

lol blame the media ..........lmao:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod: we have been debating the kessel deal since we lost out on seguin ,,,,,feschuk sells newspapers ,dont blame the media ,

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
He's right. No superstar who can choose to play here will ever want to play here. Just look at Phil Kessel. Who would choose to endure that if they don't have to.

The fans have only themselves to blame. The media panders to them.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yeah you asked the question and I answered it.....it explained it perfectly....

Carlyle answered questions and treated the media with respect so he got respect in return...how that is so hard to understand beats me...The media is not stupid they know when they are being feed garbage....Nonis is the same as Burke only with less air!

Yes the treatment Burke created will stay until we shed his lackeys....and stop making excuses for the on ice product. Look at the Leafs.....NO salute and many on here stated it was fine.....it was horrendous that they acted that way....big babies....no morning skates, as the poor babies were tired. My god until someone steps up and acts like a man....and starts tossing players out the door nothing will change. But lets blame the media as they are the cause of all of this.

Burke fed the media nonsense and so do many of our players still.....Dion my god he is an idiot.....Kessel removed all doubt...

Because if you treat the media with respect, you pretty much get a free pass in this town, which contradicts your theory that the Leafs will always get hard ride with media because mythological man-beast Burke.

All Nonis has done is feed the media garbage - yet another example, along with Carlyle, that proves you have no idea what's founded and what's unfounded in your theory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad