Dreger shoulders some of the blame

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Shame on you for lumping Mirtle in with that clown posse. He is the only one who actually presents facts without putting a spin on anything. He is the only real journalist out of the idiots you listed.

The others are just flapping gum talking heads. They are not journalists, they are writers. Journalism does not seek to take a side.

He's equally as bad.. just because you like him and his stats doesn't mean he's not biased and has an agenda like the rest of them. Facts can be presented while still ignoring trends and coexisting conflicting stats. He's the master of Occam's Broom :)

silentbob37*

The media, the coaching, the management, the fans etc.
Where are the players?
Sorry 6 years of this team and I've had enough.
Do people watch the lack of engage and constantly losing battles? The collapses?

I'll never bash a team that competes it's heart out but just isn't good enough. To that I'd say get help. What I see however, is not that. Maybe things in the future need to change but right now this group has earned what it gets.

I agree, to many fans put blame for things on the wrong people.

But Dreger is talking about Toronto not being a good place for everyone to play in (hell, I'd argue its not a good place for Kessel to play). Not everyone can and/or wants to deal with the level of media coverage that exists in Toronto. Someone like Kessel really shys away from it, I think someone like Crosby would handle it much better, while players like Ovechkin and Subban would thrive here. That enviorment wasn't created by the management, coaches or players, it was created by the media because of the fans.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
I like that he is being realistic about the fact that some players just don't/can't/shouldn't play here. But he isn't being honest because he isn't putting the "blame" where it really belongs. On us.

The ONLY reason the media is the way it is in Toronto is because the Leaf fans base is the way it is (and its not unique - Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, Red Socks etc... all get similar treatment, in fact within that group we are probably on the easier side of things). Every newspaper has 3 people who cover the NHL and the Leafs because its what sports fans in this city are interested in. We have 2 lunch time Leaf centeric shows because its what people want to listen too. There are news stories every day about which Leafs will be traded, who is hurt, who is slumping and why because its what WE read.

You want to see the media back off the Leafs, stop following them. Don't listen to the radio shows, don't read the sports section, don't read the blogs, don't post on sites like this, don't follow hockey and Leaf people on twitter. Completely and totally with draw, make covering the Leafs a money losing endevor for media outlets.

Its not the media, they are just giving all of us what we want. Its all of us that are this problem.
Lets look at the last 20 years.

Yankees:
7 World Series
3 Missed playoffs (granted, the MLB playoffs are FAR harder to qualify for; in the NHL you need to not be worse more than half the teams in the league, whereas in the AL east you have to be one of the best teams in the league)

Cowboys (the worst of this lot, especially lately):
1 Superbowl (although they won another 2 in 92 and 93)
11 Missed playoffs (again, a league thats harder to qualify for the post-season in)

Lakers:
5 World Championships (1 3-peat, 1 back-to-back)
2 Missed Playoffs (in the much tougher Western Conference)
Notable players acquired:

Red Sox:
3 World Series
9 Missed Playoffs (again, see note about how difficult the AL East is)

Leafs
0 Stanley Cups, 0 Finals Appearances, 2 ECF appearances
10 Missed Playoffs

All of these teams above have massive media scrutiny, but one of these things is not like the otherrrrrr....

And don't get me started on the players these teams have been able to attract or trade for (granted, the Yankees and Red Sox don't have a cap just a tax, and the Lakers have a soft cap).

In the last 80 seasons above, those teams (2 playing in the same sport and same division) have won 16 World Championships while in the almost 100 year history on the Leafs, we've gotten 13 (all when there were no more than 6 teams in the league). Even with the Cowboys bringing down the average of those teams to 4 Championships in 20 years, its far more than the Leafs that have 4 conference semifinals appearances in 20 years.

Last edited:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I'd put 1% of the blame on the media at most. Management still gets 98-99% of it from me.

We've been the worst run team in the league for the last 10 years, no doubt in my mind. Nothing has gone right. For a team with the advantage Toronto has (can spend to the cap no matter how high it gets, unlimited money for personnel, etc) it's simply unacceptable that things have gotten this bad.

The media here is negative because so little has gone right.

silentbob37*

Lets look at the last 20 years.

Yankees:
7 World Series
3 Missed playoffs (granted, the MLB playoffs are FAR harder to qualify for; in the NHL you need to not be worse more than half the teams in the league, whereas in the AL east you have to be one of the best teams in the league)

Cowboys (the worst of this lot, especially lately):
1 Superbowl (although they won another 2 in 92 and 93)
11 Missed playoffs (again, a league thats harder to qualify for the post-season in)

Lakers:
5 World Championships (1 3-peat, 1 back-to-back)
2 Missed Playoffs (in the much tougher Western Conference)
Notable players acquired:

Red Sox:
3 World Series
9 Missed Playoffs (again, see note about how difficult the AL East is)

Leafs
0 Stanley Cups, 0 Finals Appearances, 2 ECF appearances
10 Missed Playoffs

All of these teams above have massive media scrutiny, but one of these things is not like the otherrrrrr....

And don't get me started on the players these teams have been able to attract or trade for (granted, the Yankees and Red Sox don't have a cap just a tax, and the Lakers have a soft cap).

You could put the Cubs in there they haven't won anything in almost 100 years. The Red Socks went like 80 without a world series and they were just as popular. The Canadians are just as popular as the Leafs, they haven't won in the last 20 years. The Knicks have been a joke for ever......The Leafs are not the only super popular, "to big to fail" franchise that hasn't won in a long time, though I agree its a minority among those teams.

And you can argue how well or poorly run these franchise's are, the point is the Leafs are not the only team in sports that gets extreme media coverage. Its not like the Toronto sports media is some unique, evil beast and no one else has to deal with something similar.

Ace88*

He's equally as bad.. just because you like him and his stats doesn't mean he's not biased and has an agenda like the rest of them. Facts can be presented while still ignoring trends and coexisting conflicting stats. He's the master of Occam's Broom :)

No hes not as bad at all. You are straight up wrong.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The real issue started when Burke arrived here.....he started the media on fire with his idiotic comments and demanding to be center stage.....calling news conferences when he was moving his paper clips around.

He armed the media with his confrontational approach and now we are still dealing with the fall out....same as Vancouver.

Darren Dreger has been used by the Leafs to disseminate information.....the evidence is there for all to see, his reputation has suffered as a result and he is now on damage repair it seems.....time will tell if he has leaned his lesson.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think the extra media exposure is a result of fan demand. The fan increasingly look for controversy because they've been toyed with for the better part of the decade and the management has been extremely incompetent.

If this team did what the fans wanted it to do, which is to rebuild, and would have done it properly, they wouldn't be this hated.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Dregger pretty much sums up my opinion of the Leafs, the problem with them is between the ears.

Cities like Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto need to make sure their players have a thick skin. That is unfortunately one of the Leafs problems, plenty of players with skill, not a lot with a thick skin.

You look at the greats and they all seem to let bad times roll off their shoulders and don't get caught up in the hype.

Toronto does not need to draft 20 Yzerman's but they do need to understand that the environment that the players play in is as a big of an influencer on the wins and loses as the system they play.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The real issue started when Burke arrived here.....he started the media on fire with his idiotic comments and demanding to be center stage.....calling news conferences when he was moving his paper clips around.

He armed the media with his confrontational approach and now we are still dealing with the fall out....same as Vancouver.

Darren Dreger has been used by the Leafs to disseminate information.....the evidence is there for all to see, his reputation has suffered as a result and he is now on damage repair it seems.....time will tell if he has leaned his lesson.

Really? You must be young, do you remember the Ballard era? The TMZ type reporting has been going on for at least 40 year's

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Really? You must be young, do you remember the Ballard era? The TMZ type reporting has been going on for at least 40 year's

For some everything comes down to Burke and/or Phaneuf.

Can someone explain how Dreger and Nonis are related?
I'm guessing it's a very distant relationship.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I see the Leafs like I see the SuperBowl: over-hyped, over-sensationalized and over-commercialized. The SuperBowl is actually a television segment flooded with commercials, music performances, dancing... and somewhere in there is a football game.

The Leafs are the same - full of hype, media, sensationalism, and buried somewhere in there is a hockey team. Their owners have hijacked and exposed them and are burying the team beneath all the corporate b.s. First are ticket sales, commercials, advertising, media, etc etc - second (and last) is the actual well being of the team. That's the way it is up here. It's so hard for me to even look at anything to do with the Leafs lately - if I'm channel surfing and I cross over Leafs TV and I see some kind of segment on a particular player or I see a Maple Leaf logo or I see Clarkson in a commercial or something, it just makes me sick to my stomach - honetstly- I feel like I can't watch it any longer and need to change the channel. ANY time I see a Leaf logo on TV as of late, it really makes me stop watching, it's like I can't stomach the b.s. any longer. The hype is dead for this team: they've been exposed for what they are and with today's internet and social media, word spreads instantly and today's younger fans aren't stupid like we were back in the day: knowledge is much easier to come by and fans are a lot more eductaed today than they were even 10 years ago. "Leafs Suck" is something that can catch on in a single minute and spread to millions of other fans in a day in today's world. Maybe it's a factor as to why their ratings are "apparently" dropping: fans are much more educated now. Not like 10 years ago where MLSE was still spoonfeeding dumb fans that had no way of knowing better. It's a different world - something tells me this ownership group had better take note or we might see some kind of fallout years down the road because fans are much more "up" on this situation.

How I ever bought into the theory that Toronto is the "hockey capital of the world" is beyond me. Young and dumb is what I was, I guess. Now I'm just dumb. But not dumb enough to fall for that false label anymore - Toronto, hockey capital of the world? Lol. come on now. If it ever was, it sure isn't in this day and age. The team has been officially buried, exposed and looted by ownership coming in and out over the years- they "own" the Leafs, pocket the profits, then sell them and move on. Who cares about how the team performs. Just cash in and then move on to the next conquest.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
For some everything comes down to Burke and/or Phaneuf.

Can someone explain how Dreger and Nonis are related?
I'm guessing it's a very distant relationship.

Brother in law , someone is married to someone's sister.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The media is there to over inflate the tires when things are going well and to drive a big ****ing spike into them when things go bad. That's just the way it is we build em up so we can tear em down. The best thing for players is to stay away from social media and the sports pages. The interviews are something they can't stay away from but if they limit their exposure to the media they can, possibly, stay on an even keel.

silentbob37*

And certain plays, I'm looking at Kessel, really........perpetuate that us vs them attitude with the media, which doesn't help anyone.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
One thing that I can't stand about Dreger is how he always says "I don't disagree". He talks like is on trial.

There aren't any significant trades in the league since the salary cap came in, so the media has to make a big deal about every meaningless story they can. I find myself only really following the action on the ice, and very little of the discussion off the ice. It's a shame, significant trades and the occasional blockbuster trades used to provide a great deal of entertainment value.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm not sure what your point here is. Are you saying the players are being let off the hook?

How? Everyone and their dog is demanding the team be blown up.

Basically come to Toronto, play hard and you won't have to worry about the media. Look at Santo and winnik...or Komarov. Float, put in half-assed efforts, throw in the towel, sulk, don't stand up for teammates etc and the media and fans will be all over you, and deservedly so.
Man there would be riots in Montreal if they were half as bad. Ok I may be exaggerating... a bit

Last edited:

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
The habs have just as bad media as we do and they seem to be fine...the problem with this team is the players we bring in... We brough in Kessel who had problems with Bruins! who bruins wanted him out, we brought in Dion who flames had a problem with... Franson who is selfish... and lot moree.. Bring players with class and who aren't all about themselves and this team will start shaping up to a much better team....

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't buy that at all.

The media can sit and spew and do anything and everything possible that they want, but if the fans don't listen, then who cares? See: Rogers Hockey, and the conundrum they are going through right now trying to stay relevant.

The problem in this fans vs media thing, is that the media is only as effective as the fans that sensationalize it. If fans didn't care about what TSN's insiders, then TSN's insiders wouldn't come out with crazy Leaf crap all the time.

But the fans do care.

Look at all the discussion we've had on those ridiculous trade percentages on Leafs during TSN Insider Trading?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
On TSN 1050 this morning Darren Dreger was talking about the Evander Kane situation and whether or not he was a fit in Toronto. He said there is interest however if Kane cannot handle his situation in Winnepeg how would he be in a city like Toronto. He then dove into how we “the media” has to also shoulder some of the blame. By no means was he going to apologize ; however went on to explain that when things are great in Toronto there is probably not a player in the league that wouldn’t want to play on the leafs, but when things are bad the media turns every situation into a circus. He used LA as an example, they are floundering and just put Mike Richards on waivers yet it’s almost a non story now. He said it’s the medias job to be critical when the leafs are bad however it makes a GM’s job very difficult. Players see what happens here and have options to sign with other teams, and are able to put Toronto on their “No Trade” list.

Its amazing how two Stanley Cups in a three year span will do that, eh?

Nothing more pathetic that the "blame the media" brigade. It is a loser's perspective; plain and simple. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad