Dreger shoulders some of the blame

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
diceman934 said:
Blaming the media is a excuse that is rolled out here all the time.....

It was a fact that Reimer had a concussion....why hide it? Having to get the truth from a players Mother makes the Leafs look bad....answer the question and move on.

What did you think of Reimers play tonight....he was ok, just ok!

lol blame the media ..........lmao:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod: we have been debating the kessel deal since we lost out on seguin ,,,,,feschuk sells newspapers ,dont blame the media ,
In what other city have you heard of a member of the media calling a players mother to ask them about an injury to their son? That's why I think Kessel said what he did.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I still remember after the Leafs selected Matt Finn in the 2nd round of the 2012 Draft, there was a Tweet that day from Steve Simmons who said Finn wouldn't be that good because his favorite player growing up was Bryan McCabe. Obviously that was Simmons way of a joke because he was referring towards the end of McCabe's time as a Maple Leaf. Still that's the first thing he says about a player right after the Leafs draft him. No wonder the Toronto media can be very toxic.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Blaming the media is a excuse that is rolled out here all the time.....

It was a fact that Reimer had a concussion....why hide it? Having to get the truth from a players Mother makes the Leafs look bad....answer the question and move on.

What did you think of Reimers play tonight....he was ok, just ok!

I think this thing here is what some would call the perfect storm.

I think all sectors have to shoulder a portion of the blame

ownership shooting for the quick/short term bucks

media , creating BS stories/slants to put meat on the bone and their own self serving interests

fans not holding ownership accountable by with holding the $$, bumbs in the seats and eyeballs on the tele after all these years of abstract failure

Understand this ,Toronto is not considered the most valuable hockey team in the NHL JUST because the fans are in high numbers, it's also because they are bullet proof , they can be abstract failures for decades and the financial impact is minimal.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Because if you treat the media with respect, you pretty much get a free pass in this town, which contradicts your theory that the Leafs will always get hard ride with media because mythological man-beast Burke.

All Nonis has done is feed the media garbage - yet another example, along with Carlyle, that proves you have no idea what's founded and what's unfounded in your theory.

Why not read what I said....it is easier then having to reexplain a basic concept. The Media hated Burke and Nonis was his front man.....Nonis still is giving the same BS....when he is purged and a person starts speaking the truth....the media will not be as malicious.

When you constantly use the media to leak information you look bush League... Nonis is a joke and is treated as such!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Why didn't the media just ask Reimer themselves? I honestly forget did the Leafs tell him while he was injured not to talk with them?

The Leafs were not calling the injury a concussion....The Leafs were calling it whiplash at first then Concussion like symptoms....they avoided the truth. Reimers mother provided information that the Leafs did not.

Here is a link that explains it.

http://www2.tsn.ca/story/?id=380098

Edit: The Original story.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs..._several_concussions_worries_reimers_mom.html

Last edited:

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Its amazing how two Stanley Cups in a three year span will do that, eh?

Nothing more pathetic that the "blame the media" brigade. It is a loser's perspective; plain and simple. :shakehead

Do you honestly think that the Toronto Media would ignore that kind of story if it were in Toronto. Even if we had won two recent cups and they were directly the result of Richards, the Toronto media would be all over Leaf's management for signing such a win now with no thought for the future contract with a player.

Believe what you will but the Toronto media contributes a great deal to the toxic atmosphere that the Leafs have to play in. When the Leafs are playing bad, the media makes everything worse. That said when the Leafs are playing well the Media can make playing in Toronto more fun.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs were not calling the injury a concussion....The Leafs were calling it whiplash at first then Concussion like symptoms....they avoided the truth. Reimers mother provided information that the Leafs did not.

Here is a link that explains it.

http://www2.tsn.ca/story/?id=380098

Edit: The Original story.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs..._several_concussions_worries_reimers_mom.html
Let me ask you this. When a team says a player has an upper or lower body injury, should the media from those cities call that players mother to ask them what their injury really is?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like this is Dreger's way of saying how powerful he is. Which seems like an overstatement.

Ace88*

In what other city would the media have to call a players family to get the truth? None.

This is a silly rebuttal and is objectively false. Every sports team in every city that has a sports team withholds injury information from time to time. Feschuk clowned by invading a third party's privacy away from the situation.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Let me ask you this. When a team says a player has an upper or lower body injury, should the media from those cities call that players mother to ask them what their injury really is?

No....but this is not what happened now is it? 3 weeks after being listed as day to day....would raise some questions....as it did!

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
"Sorry that we tend to blow every little thing way out of proportion and treat the players like crap and act like a-holes to them far too often making it an unpleasant place to play for some players. Are we going to change? No."
-Darren Dreger (2015)

PureTruculence

Jan 23, 2014
The media is one big clown show in Toronto and it's sickening that some fans hang on every word certain beat reporters say like it's a cult following.

I blame the media for driving this analytics crap into our heads and look at how good that is doing us…

Seems that when we are winning they still only pick out the negatives.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
On TSN 1050 this morning Darren Dreger was talking about the Evander Kane situation and whether or not he was a fit in Toronto. He said there is interest however if Kane cannot handle his situation in Winnepeg how would he be in a city like Toronto. He then dove into how we “the media†has to also shoulder some of the blame. By no means was he going to apologize ; however went on to explain that when things are great in Toronto there is probably not a player in the league that wouldn’t want to play on the leafs, but when things are bad the media turns every situation into a circus. He used LA as an example, they are floundering and just put Mike Richards on waivers yet it’s almost a non story now. He said it’s the medias job to be critical when the leafs are bad however it makes a GM’s job very difficult. Players see what happens here and have options to sign with other teams, and are able to put Toronto on their “No Trade†list.

Long story long, it was somewhat refreshing to hear Dreger be this honest. It’s a sentiment that I have believed since my early days as a leaf fan. We leaf fans have such highs and lows. When we are in the playoff picture, we are contending for the cup and when we’re not blow it up. It’s our right to be like this, however its partially fueled by media. The media try their best to alter our perception of the team to get us to read/listen. I know a lot of people have somewhat shut out Dreger because he hasn’t called an actual trade in quite some time. Kind of just throws dirt at a wall and hopes it stick. However his actual hockey opinion usually is spot on and relatively level headed. All I ask is that fans ignore the “guerilla warfare†media (for lack of a better word) like “Steve Simmonsâ€, “Bruce Arthurâ€, â€Damien Cox†“James myrtleâ€, “Dave feschuk†and listen to people with actual hockey knowledge. One thing in common with all of the guys I mentioned, is that they work for the newspapers. They write daily columns and need to do what they can to get people to read. This is why their opinions are so jaded and farfetched. They are the same when they are writing about the NFL, the Jays, the Raptors, the Argo’s etc. It baffles my mind that anyone would take their opinion when they have no direct attachment to the sport. At the end of the day, we are all still going to be leaf fans and at the end of the day we all want this team to succeed. Lets not let the media get the best of us.

Rant over.

Or.................cousin Dave told him to cool it or he wouldn't get any more "inside info".:naughty:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Do you honestly think that the Toronto Media would ignore that kind of story if it were in Toronto. Even if we had won two recent cups and they were directly the result of Richards, the Toronto media would be all over Leaf's management for signing such a win now with no thought for the future contract with a player.

Believe what you will but the Toronto media contributes a great deal to the toxic atmosphere that the Leafs have to play in. When the Leafs are playing bad, the media makes everything worse. That said when the Leafs are playing well the Media can make playing in Toronto more fun.

Well I guess we will never know because this organization is easily the most hopeless in all of hockey. They're not winning one cup, nevermind two, anytime soon (I am talking decades....the rot of these players and management will need a long time to air out). I will tell you I would take one terrible Brad Richards contract in exchange for one Stanley Cup though.

As for the big bad media and how hard it is to play in Toronto....Jerome Williams played two years in Toronto and got a standing ovation Friday night at the ACC...Doug Gilmour played here for like four years and his name is in the rafters!....but sure, Toronto is too hard on it's pro athletes.

:help:

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
He's right of course, when things are bad here why would someone take a contract with the Leafs if they were offered an equal value contract on an equal quality team outside of Toronto? It isn't why the Leafs are playing bad this year, but it doesn't help with building anything. He's also correct that in our market at current state Kane would be just a terrible addition, but on a team of our quality in a different market he could be a good addition.

But then again, Montreal should have the same problem.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
Dreger was just on TSN 1050 and tried to deflect some of the Clarkson criticism

Saying Clarkson was basically just "inconsistent" and he wouldn't have been his first choice for a healthy scratch while naming Kessel instead.

Candybar lineup

Feb 9, 2015
While twitter and social media in general has added a new dimension, the media pressure in Toronto was not an issue when the team was winning in the early 2000s nor was it an issue in the early 90s.

I think a lot of this is the media giving itself far too much credit for how much of an impact they have on this team. I laugh when I read things like "Dreger Shoulders some of the blame" or that "the Leafs are losing because of the media". No surprise, this is the media writing about how important they are.

As others have mentioned, Montreal has the same obsessive fan base combined with a rabid media (in two different languages no less) and yet they don't have a problem. This can be said of numerous other sports markets in North America, to say nothing of European football cities where not only is every play analyzed, but players personal lives are drawn out and speculated on in tabloids.

This current Maple Leafs team stinks due to a complete mismanagement since the lockout. They have signed bad contracts, traded draft picks, and overall, just made poor decision after poor decision.

Blame the media? That would be giving them far too much credit. I blame management and the players.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He's right of course, when things are bad here why would someone take a contract with the Leafs if they were offered an equal value contract on an equal quality team outside of Toronto? It isn't why the Leafs are playing bad this year, but it doesn't help with building anything. He's also correct that in our market at current state Kane would be just a terrible addition, but on a team of our quality in a different market he could be a good addition.

But then again, Montreal should have the same problem.

When they're losing they do.....

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Dreger was just on TSN 1050 and tried to deflect some of the Clarkson criticism

Saying Clarkson was basically just "inconsistent" and he wouldn't have been his first choice for a healthy scratch while naming Kessel instead.

Dude, I was dumbfounded when I heard that quote.

He specifically brought up Kessel and Lupul (two Burke acquisitions). He claimed it was "too easy" to pick Clarkson. As if eliminating the worst player in the lineup is some sort of poor roster selection method.

He is such a shill for his cousin. I'm not even sure why he's considered an insider for the Leafs. Since Shanahan has been around, it's pretty clear that he has VERY LITTLE idea what this team is planning.

He said he'd be surprised if Kadri was here past the deadline. He's lost his objectivity. It makes him a terrible analyst in this case. He needs to sit on the sidelines, or focus on another team's beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad