News Article: Dreger reporting Muzzin’s deal 4x5.5+

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In my perfect world I would trade Muzzin if a wink-wink deal was in place to come back.

Team just too inconsistent as built for sustained playoff success this season.
Getting through both TB and Boston would be Mission Impossible.
Muzzin is never going to agree to that because god forbid he suffers a terrible injury between now and end of the playoffs the Leafs likely don't honor the deal or look terrible. I can see this scenario for a guy who is on year to year contracts chasing a cup like say Spezza (although, I don't think he is interested). But, when its a 4 year deal worth 24 or so million, you don't gamble like that. It's reckless. You sign the deal on March 1st and if his agent recommended he does otherwise he should be fired.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I believe over 5.5 is an overpayment, but he is one of the few guys I think we have too. Incredibly important to this team.

$5.5 over 4 years seems to be in line with some recent comparables in Myers and Stralman - he's right between those two deals.

Not terrible, but not a steal either. Would be decent value especially given his importance to the blue line.

Makes giving up a 1st and a couple of prospects more digestible when you can re-sign the short term acquisition. That narrative can go away.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Don’t understand how the Leafs walk away from this signing.

For those complaining about it, what’s a realistic solution?

Our shining future star D-Man makes the Sedins look tough, Reilly is now an injury concern, and Barrie has more dipsie-doodle in him than a Disney on Ice show.

Sign him and hope the 4th year isn’t a drag on the team, but accept it as the cost of doing business if it is.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
As long as it's a limited NTC at worst in the last year, it should be fine. I don't know how I'd feel about it if he gets an NMC the whole way through and doesn't give up a little AAV.

I'm also not too worried about his aging curve, I'd say he's gotten visibly smarter since he's gotten here. He still makes bad reads on the occasion but he knows what kind of game to play and when now, he sets the tone.

Reactions: kb

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Muzzin is exactly what we need more of. Tough physical player that can break up the cycle game, defend the front of the net, etc, but with enough skill to play effectively with our top skilled guys.

Washington added a bunch of these types of players to their team leading up to them eventually winning the SC. 4 X 5.5M is a fair deal, and if there are cap problems next year or in future years, it's not because of the Muzzin contract, it's because of other contracts.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Rielly - ?
Muzzin - ?
Sandin - Holl

I'd like to see Muzz get a better D partner for the shut down role, I am not sure if Holl cuts it in the top 4.

Lily might be that guy long term.

Reactions: Eric bungay

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Apparently as much as with every major RFA he has re-signed. Is it really unreasonable to expect a bargain here or there or does everyone need to get 10% extra now?
$5.5m for 4 years is a deal compared to what he would sign on the open market... you think this is 10% extra? You think he only gets $5m UFA?? No chance of that bro... Muzzin gets $6.5-7m/year if he goes UFA.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yesterday Muzzin showed why he is so valuable to the Leafs and why resigning and keeping him is/was a must.

Big, strong , physical and plays defense the way it should be played. The added offense if a bonus as a goal and couple helpers are not something you expect often.

But Muzz stood up and spoke out against the previous Pens game and then came out and put actions to words showing his leadership skills last night.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
How could you not put Manson with Morgan?

Will the day ever come when we get the RHD we need? This has been an issue how long?

That's where he would end up, but I am saying it would be pretty sweet to be able to ice those two together. I would love to see them on the PK, or late in a game when we need to shut down the cycle and lay some body.

Reactions: saltming

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That's where he would end up, but I am saying it would be pretty sweet to be able to ice those two together. I would love to see them on the PK, or late in a game when we need to shut down the cycle and lay some body.
I fully agree...Manson or even Larsson is our need. Burke is saying Manson isn't available so Larsson may be more likely. All we can do is pray.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I fully agree...Manson or even Larsson is our need. Burke is saying Manson isn't available so Larsson may be more likely. All we can do is pray.
I can't see Edmonton doing that with Klefbom out. They are in it this year. With McJesus you always have a chance. I think Manson is a much better bet than Larsson. Even though Burkie knows Anaheim really well. So in my mind both those guys are out.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
As bad as it may be to do...but in the off-season i'd trade Marner (which is a shame as he's fantastic)

Nylander/Tavares can play together and Matthews is gonna get goals regardless of Marner. I'd take 40 goal Matthews with better built roster than 55-60 goal Matthews with Marner.

You can fix this entire team with moving him you can get a top 4RD and top six winger all young with great potential and probably for less than 11MM that Marner makes... then trade 1 of Kerfoot/Johnsson for cheaper assets/depth.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Muzzin is exactly what we need more of. Tough physical player that can break up the cycle game, defend the front of the net, etc, but with enough skill to play effectively with our top skilled guys.

Washington added a bunch of these types of players to their team leading up to them eventually winning the SC. 4 X 5.5M is a fair deal, and if there are cap problems next year or in future years, it's not because of the Muzzin contract, it's because of other contracts.

Also bleeds blue and white and will speak up to call out poor play. Definition of a true leaf worker. Sign the man get him his beard oil moneys

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
As bad as it may be to do...but in the off-season i'd trade Marner (which is a shame as he's fantastic)

Nylander/Tavares can play together and Matthews is gonna get goals regardless of Marner. I'd take 40 goal Matthews with better built roster than 55-60 goal Matthews with Marner.

You can fix this entire team with moving him you can get a top 4RD and top six winger all young with great potential and probably for less than 11MM that Marner makes... then trade 1 of Kerfoot/Johnsson for cheaper assets/depth.

Who would you trade him for then?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I can't see Edmonton doing that with Klefbom out. They are in it this year. With McJesus you always have a chance. I think Manson is a much better bet than Larsson. Even though Burkie knows Anaheim really well. So in my mind both those guys are out.
Probably. I'm reminded of the days we couldn't get a #1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad