News Article: Dreger reporting Muzzin’s deal 4x5.5+

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dreger: Belief is Toronto Maple Leafs and Jake Muzzin have four-year extension in place - TSN.ca

Look I like Muzzin, but like almost every contract Dubas seems to sign it’s 250-500K too much. It may not sound like a lot but with the overpays to Marner, Nylander (at the time), and AM (given the term) this looks like it could be another blunder in the making.

Obviously I have made my feelings clear about what I believe is the state of this team, we are not in a position tie down valuable trade chips as this 18 Wheeler careens toward the cliff. IMO we are likely to miss the playoffs, lose our 1st and be one year closer to our stars walking away without addressing the deficiencies of this team. Looking back we did this with Phaneuf and Kessel all because of making the playoffs in a strike shortened season. Same thing happened when Lupul had a career year.

Unless there are some wholesale changes I think we are gonna have a bunch of individual stars but a team that will continue to flounder. Amazing nothing ever changes.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Dreger: Belief is Toronto Maple Leafs and Jake Muzzin have four-year extension in place - TSN.ca

Look I like Muzzin, but like almost every contract Dubas seems to sign it’s 250-500K too much. It may not sound like a lot but with the overpays to Marner, Nylander (at the time), and AM (given the term) this looks like it could be another blunder in the making.

Obviously I have made my feelings clear about what I believe is the state of this team, we are not in a position tie down valuable trade chips as this 18 Wheeler careens toward the cliff. IMO we are likely to miss the playoffs, lose our 1st and be one year closer to our stars walking away without addressing the deficiencies of this team. Looking back we did this with Phaneuf and Kessel all because of making the playoffs in a strike shortened season. Same thing happened when Lupul had a career year.

Unless there are some wholesale changes I think we are gonna have a bunch of individual stars but a team that will continue to flounder. Amazing nothing ever changes.
Earlier people were talking about 6. Now 5.5 is more or less aligned with what he'd get and that's over paid? Dubas can never win, everything he does is wrong in everyone's eyes

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
That is a fair contract for Muzzin as a UFA.

We have bigger problems than the JM deal at this point.
Looks to me like there is a massive locker room divide. How else do you explain the effort lately?

And speaking of 18 wheeler's, how about our D last night?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I like Muzzin. We need Muzzin. We need more Muzzin at different positions. We traded assets and retained what we got. We are sadly in need of a D makeover and then up through the forwards. I like this step.
Muzzin and Campbell (so far) are 2 moves I actually appreciate.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sooner extract value at the TDL in trade. Too old for the kind of player he is and tbh, too much money. You're paying him more for less of everything we could have got Jake Gardiner for. Whatever. Treadmill team for a decade confirmed.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Yet you want to get rid of the one D man that plays with grit? Right, you're making a lot of sense here.

This season is really reminding me of Tampa in 2016-2017. Did they sell off everything and restart? No, there is a lot of luck in hockey and they clearly were not getting much of it that year, and neither are the Leafs this year.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Fair deal for a UFA contract and sounds like it's structured for mobility if it needs to be moved in the back half. Yeah I'd prefer an underpayment but what's your negotiating power with a top 4 quality, physical UFA defenseman

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He's our most important defenceman, arguably. And he's been the best, most impactful, and most consistent one this season.

I'd like the dollar figure to be as low as possible. But there's nothing to complain about if the reported number is correct. Thrilled to have him back.

It's also great that someone we traded a 1st for is going to be here for even longer. It makes the trade even better.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Fair deal for a UFA contract and sounds like it's structured for mobility if it needs to be moved in the back half. Yeah I'd prefer an underpayment but what's your negotiating power with a top 4 quality, physical UFA defenseman

Apparently as much as with every major RFA he has re-signed. Is it really unreasonable to expect a bargain here or there or does everyone need to get 10% extra now?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

nylander was never an overpayment. muzzins new deal is a good one.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Apparently as much as with every major RFA he has re-signed. Is it really unreasonable to expect a bargain here or there or does everyone need to get 10% extra now?

I'm also very frustrated with what Matthews and Marner have done to this team financially but I don't think you can bring it to the UFA contracts 1-to-1 like that.

Reactions: Zizzzzy and TML1990

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
4 years is exactly the right length. And the caphitnis just fine at under 6 - especially considering the Leafs had a bottom pairing guy making 4+ for the last couple seasons.

Id presume its front loaded too

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
4 years is perfect very happy with that. He is 31 (in 2 days) and $5.5 isnt going to break any bank. If also front loaded and no NTC its pretty much a perfect deal

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I have no problem with this deal.

He'd get more as a UFA... but either way itll be said over and over that Dubas over paid.

And no I haven't liked everything Dubas has done contract wise, but this deal is good for what the Leafs are getting.

Tough top 4 dman who gives a couple younger guys time to grow, and giving away assets for him... its nice to see the trade more worth it now.

There's still plenty of retooling on the D that can be done, and Muzzin is a good guy to have around during that.

Reactions: CincoHolio and qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Combine Muzzin's reported 5.5 with Holl making 2 million and you have a reliable 2nd pair that has good shutdown qualities and plays well together for only 7.5M.

Compare that with the reported ask from Barrie earlier this year (8 or 9). This is money well spent. Especially for a team with issues defending.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
sounds good to me, no complaints about this guy.

How about all the dumb penalties and the gaffs? Worse than the other Jake by a mile but will get paid more because... Some intangible grit spreadsheet nonsense to come in reply I am sure.

Reactions: mulefarm

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Not a great deal, let's be honest he's 30 and not getting any better. Was hoping for a shade under 5m, but with Dubas' history of overpaying his players and the lack of leverage (let's face it, if the Leafs had a better option, they would've used it), it was kinda to be expected. His contract will likely be hated the by the fanbase in year 3 or 4 esp... but for now, c'est la vie in Leaf land, nobody takes a discount around here, why should Muzzin?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Okay man, get rid of muzzin and see where this defense goes.

This team needs a restructuring not lesser Dion Phaneuf lol. He is going to tank hard at age 32 or so. He is already struggling out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad