TSN: Dreger on the Radio - No Interest in Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Just heard Dreger on the Radio.

This is "roughly" his quote:

NYR said "Brendan Smith is as good as we are going to get" (NYR perspective) (in regards to why that deal was done)

"They are surprised in Detroit. They are getting almost no interest in Tomas Vanek. There has to be history playing into that. But this year he has been good for the Detroit Red Wings"
"They are hoping to get a 2nd round pick for Vanek, or maybe just generate interest"

Sounds a lot like No one wants Vanek, Strangely enough.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
if true sounds like vanek, and to an extent holland, have burned too many bridges with other general managers

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Aren't the Habs said to be interested in adding forward depth?

This is probably when the 'history talk' comes into play. When Vanek was traded to Montreal last time he was deemed a disapointment, so therefore they're probably not intersted this time around.

Very suprised though that no team in west would show interest, he's very cost controlled after all. Chicago/anaheim/nashville/calgary/sharks are all logical destinations.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
if true sounds like vanek, and to an extent holland, have burned too many bridges with other general managers

Holland burned bridges? I doubt it.

This would be more a result of

Minn no interest (Bought him out)
Mtl (let him walk)

Vanek has a history of crap play. Its probably why most people on HFBoards are very much opposed to picking up Vanek.

This is very surprising to us, as we have seen a very good player playing here this year. I mean IMHO Zetterberg / Vanek should be equal in value.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He'll move last minute, but we're not going to get a king's bounty. Temper expectations. He's this year's Hudler and I've said that all along. Be happy if we get more than a 2nd round pick. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd, something like that.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Here is the question then:

Do you stick to your guns and demand a 1st right up until the deadline or do you take what ever you can, even if it's a third?

2nds and 3rds are nice, but I think I'd rather see Holland go down swinging on the big ticket. He certainly needs to posture this way even if he really would accept a 3rd round pick last minute.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Like I said, Vanek's track record is not good. Plus, he's not exactly your prototypical playoff guy. He's a soft-ish scorer type who's best when he's playing down in the lineup, winning matchups against lower lines.

We'll be lucky if we can get a second.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is hilarious. Brendan Smith gets a 2018 2nd and 2017 3rd and, allegedly, no one wants Vanek.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Holland burned bridges? I doubt it.

This would be more a result of

Minn no interest (Bought him out)
Mtl (let him walk)

Vanek has a history of crap play. Its probably why most people on HFBoards are very much opposed to picking up Vanek.

This is very surprising to us, as we have seen a very good player playing here this year. I mean IMHO Zetterberg / Vanek should be equal in value.

general managers do not like tire kickers, which we all know holland is as he essentially coined the term. Does it play a huge factor? probably not. but it's not insignificant imo

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Here is the question then:

Do you stick to your guns and demand a 1st right up until the deadline or do you take what ever you can even if it is merely a third?

2nds and 3rds are nice, but I think I'd rather see Holland go down swinging on the big ticket.

I think Holland is going to get what he can get.
Him keeping Vanek is a mistake. Even if we can only get a 3rd. Take it.

Because we cannot afford to sign Vanek.

Infact if we want to sign him in FA. We likely will pay less for him, than if we resign him right now.

Since every other team apparently hates him, I feel Detroit does NOT have to give him even a fair salary to sign him. As no one else seems to want him.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
If there's no interest in Vanek and Smith gets a 2nd+3rd, GMs around the league are genuinely dumb.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He'll move last minute, but we're not going to get a king's bounty. Temper expectations. He's this year's Hudler and I've said that all along. Be happy if we get more than a 2nd round pick. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd, something like that.

He's waaaay better than hudler ever was for us. :/ the lack of interest sucks

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Like I said, Vanek's track record is not good. Plus, he's not exactly your prototypical playoff guy. He's a soft-ish scorer type who's best when he's playing down in the lineup, winning matchups against lower lines.

Which is exactly why teams should be all over him. He hasn't been a big minute muncher for Detroit and he's done tons with it. This guy playing on your 3rd line would be killer. The history that people are harkening back to is when the guy was relied upon to be the star player.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's waaaay better than hudler ever was for us. :/

Hudler had bigger seasons in Calgary than Vanek and went for a 2nd and 4th? The cost for slow, complimentary scoring wingers with a spotty playoff history isn't through the roof.

I think Vanek is a great add for some team, but like I said, temper expectations. He's not the same guy physically when he left Buffalo.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I see this a lot but he has 14 points in his last 27 playoff games. With Montreal, he tied for the teams goal scoring lead in playoffs and was above point/game down the stretch drive leading into playoffs

I'd also point to Phil Kessel as a guy who had his warts on a sub-par team but really elevated himself after being traded to a top team. I doubt Vanek would go point/game but there is no reason to think he can't maintain what he is doing now with a better club.

Ultimately, any player is only worth what other GMs will be willing to give up but the narrative about him disappearing when it matters is unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad