TSN: Dreger-Bruins closing in on landing top 9 forward (Soderberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zibanejad

Aug 21, 2011
B's only own his rights until July I believe? Word is that he will sign a deal to play the remainder of this season to see if he likes playing in the NHL and then will become a UFA.

Some here are worried about him bolting, but if you look at the track record of loyalty he showed to Malmo, I have to believe that if he likes it in NA, he will stay with the B's. Good situation for him, strong team and he can be a 3rd line player to start, no pressure.

Loyalty to Malmö and Linköping.

He renewed his long term contract with Linköping twice already in his second year. First resigning was only a couple of weeks into his first year...

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Loyalty to Malmö and Linköping.

He renewed his long term contract with Linköping twice already in his second year. First resigning was only a couple of weeks into his first year...

The second extension when they extended from 2015 to 2016 wasn't due to loyalty though. They added a year, gave him a raise and added some other stuff, which I'm not entitled to discuss here. But it had something to do with him going to Boston. I can tell you that. So he clearly wants to.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
The second extension when they extended from 2015 to 2016 wasn't due to loyalty though. They added a year, gave him a raise and added some other stuff, which I'm not entitled to discuss here. But it had something to do with him going to Boston. I can tell you that. So he clearly wants to.

Dropkick Murphys CD set? Copy of "The Town"? Seguin's cell #? Color me intrigued.
:sarcasm:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Aww, are you mad at Carl for helping make Djurgården end up in Kvalserien last year? That's cute.

Seriously though, if you're going to lie and try to make him look bad, you should have come up with something plausible, at least. Comparing Söderberg to LINDSTRÖM? Really? Good thing people here are smart enough to not believe it

Oh, and have fun in Allsvenskan next season!

Swede on Swede hate- love it. I take multiple independent assessments and can draw a pretty accurate determination and Soderberg's ability to succeed is high. I expect a very skilled and useful addition

Zibanejad

Aug 21, 2011

Yes obviously I said the same thing to a friend. Even the first extension gave him a boost in salary but these things are standard stuff...its also loyalty when u sign until 2016 because at any time SEL could take in a couple of more teams and whoops Malmö is there. I dont see him having a Malmö clause does he?!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Swede on Swede hate- love it. I take multiple independent assessments and can draw a pretty accurate determination and Soderberg's ability to succeed is high. I expect a very skilled and useful addition

Everybody knows I have been all over Soderberg for years, so I'm biased, but this Boston team is the perfect storm for him right now:

1) Good team already with a mix of skill and grit,

2) Though some have joked about him "saving" the B's third line, there really is no pressure on him to come in and be a star. B's (and fans) will be perfectly content if he comes in and performs like a good Top 9 player and contributes some offense (PP?).

3) Plenty of veteran leaders to guide and help him acclimate. No Swedes, but as many have commented, Carl likely speaks very good English, so the language barrier should be minimal.

I'm real interested to see what he gets (if anything) for a suspension. Does the "match" penalty in carry an automatic suspension in the SEL?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I'm real interested to see what he gets (if anything) for a suspension. Does the "match" penalty in carry an automatic suspension in the SEL?

Yes. I think he got game and the officials upgraded to match afterwards, which carries an automatic game suspension and inspection from the "disciplinary commission". He'll most likely get at least 2+1 game in addition to the automatic one. I'd like to compare it to Bäckström's check on Peverley, but the big difference is it being blindside (the other difference being the face wash and the refs inability to blow the play dead when they should've given both Ledin and Yeti minors before the cross-check even happened, but that won't reduce the punishment), and the Swedish commission doesn't work the same way as the NHL one, so Bäckström's 1 game could turn into 4 or 5, even though Söderberg has no record and they are playoff games.

Then again, Linköping didn't have Weinhandl yesterday, and the 2nd and 3rd line players have (iirc) been more effective against HV71 this year, so Söderberg being gone might not mean an automatic sweep (though the first line won't draw as much attention from the other lines without him).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes. I think he got game and the officials upgraded to match afterwards, which carries an automatic game suspension and inspection from the "disciplinary commission". He'll most likely get at least 2+1 game in addition to the automatic one. I'd like to compare it to Bäckström's check on Peverley, but the big difference is it being blindside (the other difference being the face wash and the refs inability to blow the play dead when they should've given both Ledin and Yeti minors before the cross-check even happened, but that won't reduce the punishment), and the Swedish commission doesn't work the same way as the NHL one, so Bäckström's 1 game could turn into 4 or 5, even though Söderberg has no record and they are playoff games.

Then again, Linköping didn't have Weinhandl yesterday, and the 2nd and 3rd line players have (iirc) been more effective against HV71 this year, so Söderberg being gone might not mean an automatic sweep (though the first line won't draw as much attention from the other lines without him).

Thanks for the assessment.

As a B's fan, I obviously would like him to come over ASAP, but I wish no bad luck on Carl's current team. Who knows, they may use this as a rallying point and play better? Stranger things have happened.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Thanks for the assessment.

As a B's fan, I obviously would like him to come over ASAP, but I wish no bad luck on Carl's current team. Who knows, they may use this as a rallying point and play better? Stranger things have happened.

I think it's a 50/50 situation. Either they'll use the fact that they lost the game (6-0 at that) and their best player, and use it as fuel (especially the other three lines, who have probably felt bad anyway about not producing anywhere near as much as the top line, especially the first 40 or so games). On the other hand we're now not only missing Söderberg, but also Himelfarb who helped produce quite a bit in the last portion of the regular season when the top line didn't do as much. For example he scored against HV71 in this fashion last time they faced each other:

So I'm thinking that if Linköping can win at home at home tomorrow (any way they do it, especially if whoever starts between the pipes performs well), that they'll use it as motivation and at least win a couple games. If they lose again tomorrow, I don't think they'll get back, so I suppose that's what most people on here will hope will happen, haha. Good luck, flu fans. ;P

Edit: Sorry for the crappy quality on the video, it's not mine.

Edit 2: Here's a better one:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Anticipating a Yeti shirt being made as soon as he comes over!

Who knew he has angry streak? Love seeing that. Willing to get dirty.

You guys should calm down a bit. ;-)

I really like Söderberg but he isn't a dirty player, Söderberg involved in situations like this is extremely, extremely rare.

Ledin is a Swedish light version of Sean Avery and somehow he managed to piss off Söderberg.

It wasn't pretty, a hard punch to Ledin's chin would be the right way doing it, a fight. Crosschecking his neck/throat? :shakehead

Ledin won this, irritating Söderberg leading to a suspension, HV71 will win the series now. This is why Ledin is a very valuable player for any team.

Ledin himself is made for the NHL and it's sad he never got a chance in Colorado, now it's too late.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
You guys should calm down a bit. ;-)

I really like Söderberg but he isn't a dirty player, Söderberg involved in situations like this is extremely, extremely rare.

Ledin is a Swedish light version of Sean Avery and somehow he managed to piss off Soderberg.

It wasn't pretty, a hard punch to Ledin's chin would be the right way doing it, a fight. Crosschecking his neck/throat? :shakehead

Ledin won this, irritating Söderberg leading to a suspension, HV71 will win the series now. This is why Ledin is a very valuable player for any team.

Ledin himself is made for the NHL and it's sad he never got a chance in Colorado, now it's too late.

You can't fight Ledin. Ledin just turtles up and tries to get his opponents to take more minutes (and often succeeds). Ledin's skillset isn't enough for the NHL. You can get any Canadian/American minor league agitator with the same skillset with less of a hassle.

OrrCam

Aug 9, 2008
can you guys hear the crying ???

Hab fans = OMGZZZ COLLUSION!

Bruins paid him off to purposely get suspended!!!

Whats the number for NATO! UN!? SOMEBODY!

Oh yeah. I can hear it.

I can also see the Habs adding 'face-washing' to their practice routine, although some of them are good at that already - the ones tall enough to reach a face. But it fits perfectly into their slew-footing, whining, complaining, diving and embelishing practice agenda.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Yes obviously I said the same thing to a friend. Even the first extension gave him a boost in salary but these things are standard stuff...its also loyalty when u sign until 2016 because at any time SEL could take in a couple of more teams and whoops Malmö is there. I dont see him having a Malmö clause does he?!

No no, he certainly hasn't. At least not from what I have heard.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
You NEVER know how European players will look in the NHL. Average players have crossed the pond and looked great while star-players have flopped. Lindström did not look bad in Colorado but he is a very soft player with below average compete level, those kind of players do not fit on NHL-teams, especially not on struggling teams.

I don't expect Söderberg to look great from the start. He has been a top-line player for a very long time and it might take some time to get used to the NA style of hockey and playing in a third line role. It would be great if he could become a regular player this season, he has the potential to become a scoring threat down the road.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If and when he comes over he has very little time to prove himself if he looking for alot money as UFA.That is one good thing about it.Bruins will be getting his best efforts,if he shows.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Why don't you go ask Chiarelli about the details...oh wait, people already have...and were told that Soderberg will be a UFA this July.

This reminds me of the scene in the original "Terminator" when the psychiatrist is asking Reese all these non-stop questions about the time portal he used to come back, and Reese finally retorts:

"I don't know I didn't build the ******* thing!"

I don't know why Soderberg is a UFA in July (because I don't know all the tiny details of his contract and the CBA and didn't write either of him), but he is. If the B's hadn't "suspended" him a few years ago for not reporting, he would have been an RFA at the time, and now he's going to be a UFA.

Where is the "beating a dead horse" emoticon?

:laugh:

"People" like the friend of the daughter-in-law of the cleaner of Chia's office?

A simple source/link would have sufficed.

I'm simply looking at the rules in place when he was drafted and at the verifiable facts, not at what "people" were told.

No need to lose your cool over this. :D

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
:laugh:

"People" like the friend of the daughter-in-law of the cleaner of Chia's office?

A simple source/link would have sufficed.

I'm simply looking at the rules in place when he was drafted and at the verifiable facts, not at what "people" were told.

No need to lose your cool over this. :D

I'm not losing my cool...hockey people much smarter than myself (Dom, Kirk, among others) have already verified with the B's and/or Soderberg's agent that he will be a UFA this summer (Dom tweeted it yesterday). Yet you continue to ask why.

It would be like if there was shocking scientific breakthrough announcing that the world was flat, but you continued to ask how that was possible, over and over...until you walked off the edge of the earth.

:D

Kaoz*

I'm not losing my cool...hockey people much smarter than myself (Dom, Kirk, among others) have already verified with the B's and/or Soderberg's agent that he will be a UFA this summer (Dom tweeted it yesterday). Yet you continue to ask why.

It would be like if there was shocking scientific breakthrough announcing that the world was flat, but you continued to ask how that was possible, over and over...until you walked off the edge of the earth.

:D

109-ancient-aliens-because-aliens-thats-why.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad