Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm totally fine if he spends the entire year in Belleville, IMO.

We don't need him in Ottawa yet, and his game is probably best served by being a leader and 1st line option in the AHL for a year, so he can work on his skating in a relatively risk-free environment.

He'll be in the NHL eventually. Nothing wrong with spending a second year finding your A-game as a pro and building confidence in the AHL.

I think Batherson needs to improve his compete level, foot speed and physical play. When he was up earlier this season, he looked like a passenger, not a hustler. Perhaps he was trying to model his play on the vets who were good in the room, but not so good on the ice. Just kidding. Don’t hang, er harangue me.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I could not disagree more with people who think Batherson is having an off yr. Of course, he needs to be more consistent at all aspects of the game just as every young hockey player it seems needs to be more consistent so that it gives their team a chance to win every night. I also don't think it means anything that Veronneau has been brought up before Batherson, this org wants to get a look at as many of their prospects as possible to see where they are in their development. Veronneau is a player I like who is defensively responsible while at the same time can chip in offensively & good at a lot of things, but I doubt he is as good as Batherson can be.

IMO Batherson has everything you want in a top six forward, he has good size, he's quick & a good skater, he plays with an edge at times, has good vision, is a decent playmaker & he can score consistently as he has shown in the last two seasons in Belleville. Everything becomes a little more difficult as players move up into the NHL where everybody is so much better, tougher, quicker & decisions need to be made quicker & that is a learning curve for most young players. Let's also not forget that Ottawa has a number of UFAs this season that could be moved by the trade deadline & they should start looking at who they might want to replace those guys that could get traded. I assume that they might also give some NHL games to some of their career AHLers for helping out in Belleville.

UFAs - Pageau, Ennis, Namestikov, Boedker, Sabourin, Hainsey, Boro, DeMello, Goloubef, Anderson, Szwarz

Potential Replacements - Formenton, Norris, Batherson, Abramov, Lajoie, Jaros, Veronneau, Balcers, Davidsson

From that list of UFAs, the only ones I would value going forward, provided that they do not demand high salaries, are:

Pageau, Namestnikov, and DeMello.

I certainly hope Lajoie and Jaros develop and can replace Hainsey and Borowiecki. Perhaps JBD might challenge for a D spot too but I doubt that.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
1.13 ppg and top 10 in scoring in the AHL is "very underwhelming"? Perhaps your expectations aren't reasonable?

Yes, underwhelming when having an impact on his line. He just doesn't look as dominant, especially without Brown. Everything is not about about Points, when you're trying to evaluate a player completely.

Are you that type of fan who values Stone as a 60-65 point career player?

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
A lot to unpack here...

So Batherson, who is on a slightly better pace than last year but without Brown or Paul who were two of the teams top scorers last year and one of which is considered a blue chip prospect, is disappointing and will likely be at best a Dzingel 2.0, a player who never came close to Batherson's production in the AHL despite playing there till he was 23, two years older than Batherson now.

But, on the flip side, you're holding out hope that Davidsson or Abramov, both of who are being significantly outproduced by Batherson despite being drafted a full season earlier, will develop into our next Stone and Hoffman?

I didn't understand a single thing you said, nor I can see what you are complaining about, exactly, or I would've responded, accordingly

I suggest you should just carefully read my post again

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I didn't understand a single thing you said, nor I can see what you are complaining about, exactly, or I would've responded, accordingly

I thought he was pretty clear. I think you should re-read his post carefully.

Batherson is a young player. They go through ebbs and flows. I'm not worried at all about him.

Reactions: Hank84

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I thought he was pretty clear. I think you should re-read his post carefully.

Batherson is a young player. They go through ebbs and flows. I'm not worried at all about him.

No, I don't have time to read nonsense posted by people who just want to argue over everything.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No, I don't have time to read nonsense posted by people who just want to argue over everything.
You might want to reconsider using the internet then lol...

Its a discussion board. If you don't want others to discuss your opinion and perhaps offer counter points then I'm not sure what you are doing here

You mentioned pts aren't everything. I agree. Not sure how you go from that to hoping Abramov becomes the next stone or hoffman though. To my eye Batherson does a lot more to make the players around him better than Abramov does. I do like a lot un Abromov's game, but i am not what you are it seems.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As a self-proclaimed grammar nerd, I can see a few grammar-related issues you need to address in your text above. :)

Of course! But I just can’t be bothered to give my posts the attention the deserve grammar wise. I do tend to do a quick edit once done though.... lol

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Batherson has been very underwhelming this season.

I am the the point where I have given up hope that he's going to be a legit top 6 forward in the NHL.

At this point I am seeing a Dzingle 2.0, as a best case scenario. Hope I am wrong, though

Now, I just hope Davidsson and to a lesser degree, Abramov can end up being a surprise and be our next Stone/Hoffman

You claimed Batherson is "underwhelming" you this season, that you do not feel he will be a top 6 forward in the NHL, and that you think he will be a Dzingel 2.0, correct?

His post in response to you, using facts, proved that your claim that he is a disappointment and not ever going to be a top 6 is unreasonable and unfounded.

So rather than get upset that people countered your opinion, maybe provide stats and examples as to why you think your opinion is true.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
You claimed Batherson is "underwhelming" you this season, that you do not feel he will be a top 6 forward in the NHL, and that you think he will be a Dzingel 2.0, correct?

His post in response to you, using facts, proved that your claim that he is a disappointment and not ever going to be a top 6 is unreasonable and unfounded.

So rather than get upset that people countered your opinion, maybe provide stats and examples as to why you think your opinion is true.

Some people just want the internet to be an echo chamber and react poorly when faced with a different world view.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I haven’t watched him play in the AHL, but was unimpressed with his showing in the NHL. Is it possible that he is looking like other players that have done great things in the AHL but not be able to translate that to the NHL? Wasn’t our Corey Locke one of those guys who dominated that league, I forget.

Anyways, I’m just curious as to if that’s what Answer is getting at. Mann seemed to be saying that Batherson needed to work on the character/effort side of things if he was going to make it at the next level.

I’m more asking peeps who have been following the AHL games.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Yes, I do feel Batherson has been underwhelming to be this year. Are you actually going to argue about how I feel about his play this year?

I am not getting upset, it's just silly to me that some people have to give 'facts' and 'stats' (like you can actually give facts regarding a prospect being a top 6 or not HAHA), just so they can have an argument over the internet. :laugh::laugh:

And, no I never even said my opinion is true - it doesn't have to be true, for all I care.

But, please, go ahead and continue arguing about everything :thumbu:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes, I do feel Batherson has been underwhelming to be this year. Are you actually going to argue about how I feel about his play this year?

I am not getting upset, it's just silly to me that some people have to give 'facts' and 'stats' (like you can actually give facts regarding a prospect being a top 6 or not HAHA), just so they can have an argument over the internet. :laugh::laugh:

And, no I never even said my opinion is true - it doesn't have to be true, for all I care.

Your takes invite arguments.. what can I say.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

th

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

If you think a big player who picked up hockey late, is physically a late bloomer is done developing at 21 years old after his 92nd professional game thats your own perogative. However people are going to challenge it because its frankly not a very good take.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO it's not Batherson or the forward prospects in this org that are the problem but the defence & what happens if they trade their toughest defenceman. They have too many soft defencemen on this team & in this org & don't have any tough D prospects coming to clear the front of the net & win board & corner battles.

Too much emphasis is put on small skilled defencemen & not enough on bigger tougher D that can do the dirty work in their own zone which is another reason they can't get out of their own end for long periods of time. This is the problem with the Leafs, they are too soft everywhere but especially on D.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
IMO it's not Batherson or the forward prospects in this org that are the problem but the defence & what happens if they trade their toughest defenceman. They have too many soft defencemen on this team & in this org & don't have any tough D prospects coming to clear the front of the net & win board & corner battles.

Too much emphasis is put on small skilled defencemen & not enough on bigger tougher D that can do the dirty work in their own zone which is another reason they can't get out of their own end for long periods of time. This is the problem with the Leafs, they are too soft everywhere but especially on D.

I'd like to see more diversity in our D prospects; Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Thomson, and JBD are all great young players/prospects, but I'd like to get someone like Carlo or better yet Parayko into the mix. Jaros is a nice piece, but I don't think he has the skill to be a top 4 option at the level of those guys.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I'd like to see more diversity in our D prospects; Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Thomson, and JBD are all great young players/prospects, but I'd like to get someone like Carlo or better yet Parayko into the mix. Jaros is a nice piece, but I don't think he has the skill to be a top 4 option at the level of those guys.
I hope we can snag a top 4 D in a trade during the expansion draft. It's a good time to really take advantage of a team that will trade a Dman for cheap instead of losing him for nothing.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I hope we can snag a top 4 D in a trade during the expansion draft. It's a good time to really take advantage of a team that will trade a Dman for cheap instead of losing him for nothing.

Maybe we use our draft picks ? I noticed Drysdale is listed at 165 lbs - feels like more of the same ...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Veronneau just got the call ahead of him, so that says a lot. Mann has been very clear - Batherson needs to be more consistent if he wants to be an NHL regular. He tends to be streaky and score his points in bunches, and the problem with a player like Batherson is that if he isn't producing offense for you, he isn't doing much else. It's not like he is overly physical or an elite skater/checker like Formenton. (With his great skating, Formenton is going to carve out a 15 year NHL career for himself just as a penalty killer and bottom six energy guy.)

I love The Drake as a prospect, but it's up to him if he wants to get out of Belleville. He knows exactly what he needs to do. Further, he'd better get off the stick and do it, because an avalanche of other prospects are going to be coming into the organization in the next two years via the draft...

I agree that he needs to be more consistent. I mentioned it last season that at times he did struggle to be engaged in the play offensively, and at times he leaves you wanting more. I don't think he will ever be that guy who is dominant on the cycle the way Tkachuk or Brown can be but he can be good on the counter attack because of how quickly he processes what's happening. One slip up by the opposition and he can exploit it quickly. I disagree that if he isn't producing he isn't doing much else. His defensive reads are consistently good and he usually makes the right play with the puck to alleviate pressure. I really like the details of his game and he makes so many subtle plays, that gets the puck going in the right direction.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It’s getting tricky to picture where Bath may slot in the lineup with an eventual callup.

1. Hard to take Duc away from Brady/Brown
2. Pager line has been strong
3. White is struggling to drive his line
4. Lack of minutes on 4th

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think the reason why they are taking their time is what they want Drake to be. He can certainly play at the NHL level, but do we want another Duclair, or do you want to nip certain traits/habits in the bud. They believe in what Drake can be, and want him to achieve it

Reactions: stempniaksen

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Of course! But I just can’t be bothered to give my posts the attention the deserve grammar wise. I do tend to do a quick edit once done though.... lol

Well said.
I reserve the right to take liberties too.

But I will never use the wrong to, too, or two. My English grammar teacher , Mrs. Currie, in junior high did a great job on me.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like Batherson a lot & think he will be a very good NHL player & could be in Ottawa by the end of the trade deadline or next yr for sure. He's got good size although he could use it a little more & hit a little more & play with a little more edge or sandpaper for my liking. He plays RW where Ottawa needs more depth & as soon as PD makes some room on the roster I could see Batherson as a mainstay in Ottawa's future top nine.

In fact, we could see Formenton - Norris - Batherson all in Ottawa after the deadline or next season at some point for sure & I like the way all three play. Those three together make up a very good line with a little bit of everything, although it would be nice if all three could increase their scoring individually & collectively. All three have good size, they all play a fast game, all three are skilled & really only lack some NHL experience & confidence. We have already seen a number of young players in Ottawa playing well & here are three more who will only add to that next season. And that's not including the prospects they could draft in 2020, the future looks bright in Ottawa, at forward anyway.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad