Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
After a disappointing initial stint up with Ottawa, Batherson looks to be picking up where he left off last season with Belleville. 10pts in 7gp. I can’t see him being in Belleville much longer.

True. But points aren't everything .

To be successful in the NHL it takes a lot more than simply putting up points in the A.

Let's hope he looks more hungry on the ice on his next call up

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

To be successful in the NHL it takes a lot more than simply putting up points in the A.

maybe it would be good for him to stay in Belleville a little longer.

Reactions: DJB

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

Most players that produce the way he has at his age in the AHL develop into quality NHL players. Although I agree points aren’t everything, it’s the best indicator on whether or not a player can play at the next level.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Most players that produce the way he has at his age in the AHL develop into quality NHL players. Although I agree points aren’t everything, it’s the best indicator on whether or not a player can play at the next level.

No, it is actually the easiest thing to look at. The AHL has always had guys that can score at that level but can not make it translate to the NHL level. If points is all you can point to, and then when you get the call up to the NHL and can't produce at a similar level and don't provide any other value in another area, then it will be a short stint and they go back to score in the AHL.

Reactions: aragorn

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
No, it is actually the easiest thing to look at. The AHL has always had guys that can score at that level but can not make it translate to the NHL level. If points is all you can point to, and then when you get the call up to the NHL and can't produce at a similar level and don't provide any other value in another area, then it will be a short stint and they go back to score in the AHL.
Not at his age. Most players that score at a point per game pace in the AHL have been in the league for over 4 years. It not often a 20 year old kid comes in and scores at a point per game pace then fails to do anything at the next level.
I don’t know why y’all don’t think that Batherson won’t make it at the next level... everything he has done since he was drafted has indicated otherwise.

Reactions: Icelevel

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Just bored...read your post again though...it is the opposite of your intended meaning.

I should have left it alone because the context shows what you really meant...Batherson will be a legit NHL player.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The elusive triple negative! So you believe (we all) believe he WILL make it at the next level.

Im a grammar nerd, this made me laugh out loud! In all fairness it’s early out here, but thanks for that... hahaha

As for Bath, if it’s true that he came to camp a bit plump from a rookie off season, then it stands to reason that he’ll have to get his fitness back. Obviously with the help of the team trainers and nutritionist, in the AHL.

Nothing should be handed to the kids at this point. He’s going to have to work his ass off to get back into top shape, and to make the lifestyle changes needed to make the NHL. It’s not a punishment, as he will undoubtably be guided by the big team, but he’s going to have to put in the work first.

He wasn’t able to make an impact out of the gate, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was partly a teaching tool to show him how much more he needs to put in to stay in the NHL. A bit of the carrot to get him dialed in.

Im sure he’s hungry now, and not in his summer Timmies way ;) I think he’s shown that he can get it done, but between getting used to another growth spurt over the summer, and getting dialed into a pro playing weight, it looks like it will take him a bit of time.

If he can make the impact that Brown and Paul have already made, we’ll have 3 guys who showed top six potential in the AHL starting to live up to it. Still can’t believe how good Paul has been the last couple of games. We’ve all been hopeful that he could carve out a 4th line role, and he’s busy playing like a top six winger at the moment.

Norris is looking real good too, we could be scary deep soon.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Im a grammar nerd, this made me laugh out loud! In all fairness it’s early out here, but thanks for that... hahaha

As for Bath, if it’s true that he cane to camp a bit plump from a rookie off season, then it stands to reason that he’ll have to get his fitness back. Obviously with the help of the team trainers and nutritionist, in the AHL.

Nothing should be handed to the kids at this point, he’s going to have to work his ass off to get back into top shape, and to make the lifestyle changes needed to make the NHL. It’s not a punishment as he will undoubtably next guided by the big team, but he’s going to have to put in the work first.

He wasn’t able to make an impact out of the gate, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was partly a teaching tool to show him how much more he needs to put in to stay in the NHL. A bit of the carrot to get him dialed in.

Im sure he’s hungry now, and not in his summer Timmies way ;) I think he’s shown that he can get it done, but between getting used to another growth spurt over the summer, and getting dialed into a pro playing weight looks to take a bit of time.

If he can make the impact that Brown and Paul have already made, we’ll have 3 guys who showed top six potential in ten AHL starting to live up to it.

We are deep in that tweener group for sure. Which is not a bad thing. We need to add a couple 1st line players . We have potential at D and in goal but its quite early on that front. Teams finishing at the bottom of the league should improve their prospect pool and we are , all be it a little interrupted

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We are deep in that tweener group for sure. Which is not a bad thing. We need to add a couple 1st line players . We have potential at D and in goal but its quite early on that front. Teams finishing at the bottom of the league should improve their prospect pool and we are , all be it a little interrupted

I totally agree. The nice thing about having so many tweeners is that one or two might burst out into full blown top six guys.

It looks like we have the character and culture aspects of the rebuild squared away, and a solid outlook for at least the bottom 9 players up front.

Two solid first round selections this year could really vault us forward here. If we can add two legit top six forwards this upcoming draft we’ll be looking pretty good. We’d likely have to trade some tweeners with potential in a quality move just to make space.

This upcoming draft is going to add so many kids to the pool, how the heck are we supposed to keep track!?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
When is he coming back up with the big club?

I'm totally fine if he spends the entire year in Belleville, IMO.

We don't need him in Ottawa yet, and his game is probably best served by being a leader and 1st line option in the AHL for a year, so he can work on his skating in a relatively risk-free environment.

He'll be in the NHL eventually. Nothing wrong with spending a second year finding your A-game as a pro and building confidence in the AHL.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When is he coming back up with the big club?

Veronneau just got the call ahead of him, so that says a lot. Mann has been very clear - Batherson needs to be more consistent if he wants to be an NHL regular. He tends to be streaky and score his points in bunches, and the problem with a player like Batherson is that if he isn't producing offense for you, he isn't doing much else. It's not like he is overly physical or an elite skater/checker like Formenton. (With his great skating, Formenton is going to carve out a 15 year NHL career for himself just as a penalty killer and bottom six energy guy.)

I love The Drake as a prospect, but it's up to him if he wants to get out of Belleville. He knows exactly what he needs to do. Further, he'd better get off the stick and do it, because an avalanche of other prospects are going to be coming into the organization in the next two years via the draft...

Reactions: Alex1234

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Batherson has been very underwhelming this season.

I am the the point where I have given up hope that he's going to be a legit top 6 forward in the NHL.

At this point I am seeing a Dzingle 2.0, as a best case scenario. Hope I am wrong, though

Now, I just hope Davidsson and to a lesser degree, Abramov can end up being a surprise and be our next Stone/Hoffman

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I am the the point where I have given up hope that he's going to be a legit top 6 forward in the NHL.

At this point I am seeing a Dzingle 2.0, as a best case scenario. Hope I am wrong, though

Now, I just hope Davidsson and to a lesser degree, Abramov can end up being a surprise and be our next Stone/Hoffman

1.13 ppg and top 10 in scoring in the AHL is "very underwhelming"? Perhaps your expectations aren't reasonable?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I don't think this will age well. Batherson is going to be one hell of a good NHLer.

I think there is a good chance he scores 70 points one year.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

A lot to unpack here...

So Batherson, who is on a slightly better pace than last year but without Brown or Paul who were two of the teams top scorers last year and one of which is considered a blue chip prospect, is disappointing and will likely be at best a Dzingel 2.0, a player who never came close to Batherson's production in the AHL despite playing there till he was 23, two years older than Batherson now.

But, on the flip side, you're holding out hope that Davidsson or Abramov, both of who are being significantly outproduced by Batherson despite being drafted a full season earlier, will develop into our next Stone and Hoffman?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Veronneau just got the call ahead of him, so that says a lot. Mann has been very clear - Batherson needs to be more consistent if he wants to be an NHL regular. He tends to be streaky and score his points in bunches, and the problem with a player like Batherson is that if he isn't producing offense for you, he isn't doing much else. It's not like he is overly physical or an elite skater/checker like Formenton. (With his great skating, Formenton is going to carve out a 15 year NHL career for himself just as a penalty killer and bottom six energy guy.)

I love The Drake as a prospect, but it's up to him if he wants to get out of Belleville. He knows exactly what he needs to do. Further, he'd better get off the stick and do it, because an avalanche of other prospects are going to be coming into the organization in the next two years via the draft...
Disagree pretty heavily on this part. Guy controls the play and makes guys around him better.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

As for Bath, if it’s true that he came to camp a bit plump from a rookie off season, then it stands to reason that he’ll have to get his fitness back. Obviously with the help of the team trainers and nutritionist, in the AHL.

Nothing should be handed to the kids at this point. He’s going to have to work his ass off to get back into top shape, and to make the lifestyle changes needed to make the NHL. It’s not a punishment, as he will undoubtably be guided by the big team, but he’s going to have to put in the work first.

Im sure he’s hungry now, and not in his summer Timmies way ;) I think he’s shown that he can get it done, but between getting used to another growth spurt over the summer, and getting dialed into a pro playing weight, it looks like it will take him a bit of time.

If he can make the impact that Brown and Paul have already made, we’ll have 3 guys who showed top six potential in the AHL starting to live up to it. Still can’t believe how good Paul has been the last couple of games. We’ve all been hopeful that he could carve out a 4th line role, and he’s busy playing like a top six winger at the moment.

As a self-proclaimed grammar nerd, I can see a few grammar-related issues you need to address in your text above. :)

Reactions: insomniac

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I could not disagree more with people who think Batherson is having an off yr. Of course, he needs to be more consistent at all aspects of the game just as every young hockey player it seems needs to be more consistent so that it gives their team a chance to win every night. I also don't think it means anything that Veronneau has been brought up before Batherson, this org wants to get a look at as many of their prospects as possible to see where they are in their development. Veronneau is a player I like who is defensively responsible while at the same time can chip in offensively & good at a lot of things, but I doubt he is as good as Batherson can be.

IMO Batherson has everything you want in a top six forward, he has good size, he's quick & a good skater, he plays with an edge at times, has good vision, is a decent playmaker & he can score consistently as he has shown in the last two seasons in Belleville. Everything becomes a little more difficult as players move up into the NHL where everybody is so much better, tougher, quicker & decisions need to be made quicker & that is a learning curve for most young players. Let's also not forget that Ottawa has a number of UFAs this season that could be moved by the trade deadline & they should start looking at who they might want to replace those guys that could get traded. I assume that they might also give some NHL games to some of their career AHLers for helping out in Belleville.

UFAs - Pageau, Ennis, Namestikov, Boedker, Sabourin, Hainsey, Boro, DeMello, Goloubef, Anderson, Szwarz

Potential Replacements - Formenton, Norris, Batherson, Abramov, Lajoie, Jaros, Veronneau, Balcers, Davidsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad