Injury Report: Drake Batherson Ankle Injury

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
So are you saying the Senators don’t push or shove
what I am saying is: The team's leading point getter was injured by a cheap shot, by a marginal NHLer and no response.

What will that mean going forward? Will other teams do more? Will Brady, Norris, Chabot, Timmie be possible future victims. After all, the price to be paid is; a marginal player gets 3 games. A star is out for 2-12 months.

Since every team has 1-5 marginal NHLers, and the Sens are now down to 4 stars (relative, I get you). It would mean that as we move forward, the Sens have 31-155 Dells to contend with. Will some AHL plus, NHL minus player, frustrated by his lot in life, do what Dell did and for a negligible price? And his team will bear no consequences. In fact benefit. One less Sens quality player to worry about.

You need opposing coaches to go to their players and say: Stay away from Sens stars, or we risk 1) being pounded or 2) our stars being injured. You needed Dahlin, Cousin's, et all (the Buffalo stars) to be stapled to the bench the rest of the game and you needed Dell to see more Ottawa players crashing his crease than pucks at him. And you needed the remaining 30 teams in the league to say, OH f***.

Sean Connery in the Untouchables "They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue."

Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
what I am saying is: The team's leading point getter was injured by a cheap shot, by a marginal NHLer and no response.

What will that mean going forward? Will other teams do more? Will Brady, Norris, Chabot, Timmie be possible future victims. After all, the price to be paid is; a marginal player gets 3 games. A star is out for 2-12 months.

Since every team has 1-5 marginal NHLers, and the Sens are now down to 4 stars (relative, I get you). It would mean that as we move forward, the Sens have 31-155 Dells to contend with. Will some AHL plus, NHL minus player, frustrated by his lot in life, do what Dell did and for a negligible price? And his team will bear no consequences. In fact benefit. One less Sens quality player to worry about.

You need opposing coaches to go to their players and say: Stay away from Sens stars, or we risk 1) being pounded or 2) our stars being injured. You needed Dahlin, Cousin's, et all (the Buffalo stars) to be stapled to the bench the rest of the game and you needed Dell to see more Ottawa players crashing his crease than pucks at him. And you needed the remaining 30 teams in the league to say, OH f***.

Sean Connery in the Untouchables "They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue."
You don’t think there wouldn’t be a reaction if it wasn’t a goalie, then I’d be worried.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Actions speak louder than words though.

and for all this posturing about being tough and hard to play against and identity. In their first big test they came out looking pathetic.

Remember when Carkner jumped Boyle and received a 5 minute penalty in a playoff game? And that was just because Boyle noogied Karlsson. That team didn't give a f***.

But this team does nothing in meaningless game on a 100x dirtier play? I bet other teams make sweeping generalizations and Ottawa just came across as a team that will be pushovers when you take liberties on their star player.

I think people are reading way too much into this.

Let's get into a playoff series before we start prognosticating about how they would play in a playoff game.

Clearly it was DJ Smith's call. We don't know what was said by the refs.

DJ is a pretty old school guy, so for him to put a leash on his guys, it must have been something.

Reactions: thinkwild

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
Have people not been watching our national soccer (football) team? They were once a joke. And soft and could be bullied by the South Americans.

Now they are the bullies. Millan, Atiba and the rest. They have been pushing the South Americans around. And they are in first place.

Get close to Milan or Alphonso and see if your ass isn't handed to you. See how quickly Hurdman will put Piette and others on and then watch ankles get taken out.

A bit of Broad Street Bullies is needed. Hand opponents their lunch.

I also liked when our world baseball team was a bunch of bullies too, back like a decade ago.

".....and now Hall of famer Whitey Ford takes the Field, pleading with the crowd for some kind of sanity...oohhh.. and a barrage of pretzels knocks him down.... this...this ...is a black day for baseball"

Reactions: NyQuil

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
we agree to disagree.
It was a grotesque cheap shot on an unsuspecting player travelling at high speed in an extremely dangerous area.
He literally went flying into the boards full speed out of control, now he’s out for possibly the year.

they should have beat the shit out of him.

I miss those days with Neiler. :(

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Wow, that was a serious misrepresentation of what Neiler said with one word. Kinda makes it seem as though he called the players ‘muffins’.

What he actually said was that he would have asked a line mate to lob a ‘muffin’ at the goalie and he would have charged in to try and tip it/jam it/run the goalie, making it look somewhat accidental/incidental. He said he might rough up one of their stars and force one of their tough guys to fight him.

He also said that he has never been suspended and took a lot of pride in that. He was still a good teammate and never disparaged the guys in the room, and noted that the game has changed.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If he goes down , then has to sit when comes back up
Buffalo will keep him up I think
But, a goalie will sit anyhow because there's always a rotation of the multiple goal tenders. I guess if he gets docked 3 games of "NHL" pay, then the rest is mostly a moot point.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
But, a goalie will sit anyhow because there's always a rotation of the multiple goal tenders. I guess if he gets docked 3 games of "NHL" pay, then the rest is mostly a moot point.

Not really though. With an eye on the bigger picture he will have the league watching him now, and any further incidences will net much larger punishments as a repeat offender. Doesn’t help Bath, or satisfy vengeful fans necessarily, but it is the first step in curbing the behaviour.

For a guy hanging on to his NHL dream by a string, this has to hurt.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not really though. With an eye on the bigger picture he will have the league watching him now, and any further incidences will net much larger punishments as a repeat offender. Doesn’t help Bath, or satisfy vengeful fans necessarily, but it is the first step in curbing the behaviour.

The thing is the play wouldn't result in a suspension if not for the injury, and 99% of the time there's no injury when Dell throws a pick like that. It was reckless, but I have zero expectation that he learned his lesson or has another dirty play result in an injury before this one fades from the collective memory of the league.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The thing is the play wouldn't result in a suspension if not for the injury, and 99% of the time there's no injury when Dell throws a pick like that. It was reckless, but I have zero expectation that he learned his lesson or has another dirty play result in an injury before this one fades from the collective memory of the league.
He's done it at least the three times I have seen in video on Batherson, Mark Stone & a Nashville playermaybe that's why he got 3 games one for each of those times. :laugh:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

I'm all for deterrence but you're ignoring that it doesn't exist in the NHL anymore, like AT ALL. Even when fights for this stuff do occur, they aren't done with malice. Brady is guilty of this too, he doesn't fight to hurt. 31 other teams would have reacted essentially the same way, for better or worse. There are only a handful of players that inflict fear in the NHL anymore and even they got the memo that fighting to hurt against an unwilling combatant, or seeking payback in a follow up game, isn't really the outcome these days.

So even if we have tough players, the nature of fighting now is hardly a scare tactic when fights hardly open up and the refs are in there right away.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

He's already done the same thing before. I never heard anything about Dell receiving suspensions for those prior incidents. I see others have a little more detail on this and have already commented. NHL is not very good at drawing clear lines on what is acceptable and enforcing their own rules with suspensions or whatever else.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He's already done the same thing before. I never heard anything about Dell receiving suspensions for those prior incidents. I see others have a little more detail on this and have already commented. NHL is not very good at drawing clear lines on what is acceptable and enforcing their own rules with suspensions or whatever else.

I agree, he’s had a few incidences but finally this one drew attention as there was a major injury. As is often the case, once the actions come to the attention of people, they start watching. The league suspension basically puts the guy on notice.

DJ said that even he thought it was just an unfortunate collision until later when the coaching staff found out that he’d done the same type of thing a few times before. Then they were pissed and wanted the league to step in.

I guess we’ll see. 3 games is an eternity as a 6th string guy. If Andy comes back and Mouser plays well, that could be the end of Dell in Buffalo as well.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Wow, that was a serious misrepresentation of what Neiler said with one word. Kinda makes it seem as though he called the players ‘muffins’.

What he actually said was that he would have asked a line mate to lob a ‘muffin’ at the goalie and he would have charged in to try and tip it/jam it/run the goalie, making it look somewhat accidental/incidental. He said he might rough up one of their stars and force one of their tough guys to fight him.

He also said that he has never been suspended and took a lot of pride in that. He was still a good teammate and never disparaged the guys in the room, and noted that the game has changed.

Thanks for the proper context and recap rather than clickbait TSN phrasing.

I agree with Neil. Game has changed. I do kinda agree with his methods of getting back at them, but were already shorthanded in that game and I assumed we didn't want to go down by more players and jeopardize the game. Then we were up by so much I don't think the guys were thinking about it much. The game ended up being so uncompetitive which killed everyone's temper I think. Hard to justify a heat of the moment revenge move when everyone is going through the motions in a blowout.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I'm all for deterrence but you're ignoring that it doesn't exist in the NHL anymore, like AT ALL. Even when fights for this stuff do occur, they aren't done with malice. Brady is guilty of this too, he doesn't fight to hurt. 31 other teams would have reacted essentially the same way, for better or worse. There are only a handful of players that inflict fear in the NHL anymore and even they got the memo that fighting to hurt against an unwilling combatant, or seeking payback in a follow up game, isn't really the outcome these days.

So even if we have tough players, the nature of fighting now is hardly a scare tactic when fights hardly open up and the refs are in there right away.
then you are saying; Open season. Norris last night..so two down, 3 to go.

The Sens were a laughing stock. No one took them seriously. And so, there was no need to go after them. 4 seasons of near absolute bottom, gets you sympathy and ridicule. It does not get you attention.

But now, they are winning. Competitive. No more the gang that cannot shoot straight. Now it's those pesky Sens. Watch out for their stars!!!!! We have 20 year old Jimmie, European, not used to fighting or the overly physical game. Small in stature!! 5' 9" Brannie.

Coming this fall or early next year, possibly our best defensemen... all of 19 (Sanderson). Next to him will be: Zub, Noted tough guy...Zietsev, noted goon. Brannstrom; a beast. Chabot; our version of Ogie Ogilthorpe. So here he is on a Tuesday night in November, they are up 3:1 on some team, he has just danced his way around some 6/7 D man or some 4th line forward, and good night!!! Zub jumps in and pummels the perpetrator. EYYYHHH.

Pinto: Injured. White: Injured. Norris: possibly injured. The heavy weight champion of the world: Jimmie #1 center. That could be next season as well!!
Right wing: Batherson, lingering injury concern.
Left wing: Brady T, knuckles looking like my grandma's hands (she had severe arthritis), thanks to fights.

Hey, what do we do when Marchand stops with the "He reached, I teach'd" and gives an old shot to the head when Jimmie is down?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sounds like what someone's grandmother would do.

I bet if DJ let them play someone would have done a bit more than slash the goalies pad or gave him a lecture.

I wonder how much of a factor that would be. Like, Jacques Martin hated the sideshows, but Neil still went out and created a sideshow if a player got targeted.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Players dont beat up goalies. Retribution sure but after another star. Tkachuk pounding Dahlin would have been terrific.

Then you crash the net and run the goalie until a brawl starts. Go listen to Chris Neil. He knows way better than any of us how to defend a teammate. He says you throw a muffin at the goalie and run him and anyone who comes at you, you fight.

It's not like it's 80s hockey. I've watched HD line brawls. I've seen teams beat up other teams in 4k.

The fact he's a goalie means literally nothing when he does something dirty like that. I don't understand the logic that people say you dont go after a goalie. Uhhh yes, you do. Ask neiler. Go look at countless YouTube videos.

We played that way too softly.

Reactions: Cosmix

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No man it really isn’t. The outcome of the hit was an awkward landing, nothing at all like being crushed from behind into the boards where the expected result is a crushing blow.

It was a cheap hit, but he hardly needs to be run out of the league, or beaten to a pulp. Chabot was run awkwardly into the rounded turnbuckle in a cheap last minute shove as well.

These plays happen and penalties are assessed, and in this case a suspension, but let’s not go overboard here. I remember Watching Grieg cross check Dubois in the face in pre season and getting two games, waaaay worse of an aggressive act, and yet he wasn’t destroyed on the ice and banned from the league either, and Sens fans love the guy.

That's wayyyyy different because Chabot should be expecting contact. That changes everything in the cheapness of the hit and how dirty and dangerous it is.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That's wayyyyy different because Chabot should be expecting contact. That changes everything in the cheapness of the hit and how dirty and dangerous it is.

Chabot was given an extra last second shove into the rounded corner, it was cheap for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad